It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• My weight loss has come to a hault... please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #1
    gnarkill54

gnarkill54 HB User
    My weight loss has come to a hault... please help

Ok i'm going to start off with a short summary. About 2 years ago i weighed 215lbs. I started running 2 miles every night and i started to starve myself. I would usually only eat once or twice a day. In the begininng i lost a lot of weight really fast. A year later i was down to 170. I kept the same routine and remained at 170 until last spring when i joined the gym. So instead of running 3 miles on the streets every night, i was running 3-4 miles at the gym every day. Over the summer i lost 20lbs and weighed in at 150. Once school started again, i only had time in my schedule to run 3 miles every morning at 5am. In nov. my gym membershsip expired and i stopped going for a month. December rolled around and i got to join again, but now i weigh 160! I've been running every morning and eating less every day since december and i still havent budged from 160. I went 2 days without eating recently and i went to weigh myself and i was 162! I'm starting to get very frustrated because my ideal weight is 140 but no matter how hard i try i cant budge from 160.

I was thinking about going to the gym twice a day, three miles in the morning and three miles at around 8pm. Also i've learned that starving yourself screws up your metabolism so i'm really not going to do this anymore. Another thing, i do drink a lot of soda, no less than 20oz a day. I really need to stop but i always get into that "ah what the hell" state of mind when i'm around my friends. Can anyone help me out here? Does anyone know why i cant lose this weight? Thanks in advance. Peace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
    jenikat
    (female)

jenikat HB User
    Re: My weight loss has come to a hault... please help

you know you may have slowed your metabolism down, like you said, by not eating.....
    maybe try doing some weight training or building some muscle, because the more lean muscle you have--will speed up your metabolism supposedly and will help burn more calories even when your body is at rest...
    but don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat, so you might not see the scale go down but I bet your measurements will
    oh yeah, another thing......you said you drink a lot of soda, so do I (i can't help it) but the more water you drink, the less your body retains--in other words you wont gain that water weight or bloated feeling......I also heard that water helps your body to burn fat--and also makes you less hungry

I'm not an expert, this is just stuff I have heard along the way.....from one person struggling with weight, to another!

Jen

Old 01-22-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
    coley91

coley91 HB User

Is the soda diet or not diet? If your drinking a lot of normal soda. There are TONS and TONS of calories in it. Maybe thats why your not loosing. Just a guess though.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:32 AM   #4
    Hez

Hez HB User

If you dont eat enough calories you body goes into starvation mode and so it stores everyting that you do eat and stores it as fat. You should really try to eat more calories and try drinking alot water. Why not try a program that calculates your calories for you. It can tell you your metabolic rate and then give you a calorie budget. Just dont starve yourself, not only is it unhealthy but like Jenikat said, it slows down your metabolism making it very hard to lose weight.

Good Luck to you!!

Old 01-23-2004, 04:48 AM   #5
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

gnarkill I know how frustrating it is putting weight back on after working so hard to lose it. My best advice is this (and it works really well for me): whenever you feel hungry between meals do some exercise, preferably a proper run. Whilst running you'll realise that the hunger was more likely the result of boredom than actual hunger and the exercise will remind you how great it is to be fit. I give you this advice because it seems to me like you don't have problems with exercise. If you can't get to the gym then hit the road. Also, make sure that you eat three good meals a day and don't go overboard on carbohydrates. Good luck dude

Old 01-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gnarkill54
    Ok i'm going to start off with a short summary. About 2 years ago i weighed 215lbs. I started running 2 miles every night and i started to starve myself. I would usually only eat once or twice a day. In the begininng i lost a lot of weight really fast. A year later i was down to 170. I kept the same routine and remained at 170 until last spring when i joined the gym. So instead of running 3 miles on the streets every night, i was running 3-4 miles at the gym every day. Over the summer i lost 20lbs and weighed in at 150. Once school started again, i only had time in my schedule to run 3 miles every morning at 5am. In nov. my gym membershsip expired and i stopped going for a month. December rolled around and i got to join again, but now i weigh 160! I've been running every morning and eating less every day since december and i still havent budged from 160. I went 2 days without eating recently and i went to weigh myself and i was 162! I'm starting to get very frustrated because my ideal weight is 140 but no matter how hard i try i cant budge from 160.

I was thinking about going to the gym twice a day, three miles in the morning and three miles at around 8pm. Also i've learned that starving yourself screws up your metabolism so i'm really not going to do this anymore. Another thing, i do drink a lot of soda, no less than 20oz a day. I really need to stop but i always get into that "ah what the hell" state of mind when i'm around my friends. Can anyone help me out here? Does anyone know why i cant lose this weight? Thanks in advance. Peace.
    Cut the soda out completely or drink diet if you must. Make sure that your running is lasting at least 35 minutes. Any less than that and you probably aren't burning fat. Lift weights at night and keep calories at 10 times your bodyweight.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
    PrincessShana

PrincessShana HB User

Damn girl, you story sounds EXACTLY like mine...even the weight is the same. I dropped to 150 last winter but I have gained back about 10 pounds and i'm finding it impossile to loose! I'm 5'9, so my ideal weight is around 145 or so. I'm going to pick up some ephedra-free diet pills today to see if tht does me any good. I think they will help me get over the plateu that I'ved reached. Xenedrine EFX is more than likely what I will try. I have heard a lot of good things about them. I don't know how you feel about diet pills, but if you decide to take them, let me know. We can compare results as we go, maybe help each other out.

Closed Thread