It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Is it a myth that fasting slows your metabolism?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2004, 07:01 AM   #1
    WishUwerehere

WishUwerehere HB User
    Is it a myth that fasting slows your metabolism?

I think it is. Otherwise, how does gastric bypass work? Supposedly it works by drastically reducing your food intake so that you can't eat anything larger than your thumb, i.e., fasting. Right? I'm only bringing it up because sometimes I feel more like fasting than eating some of the crap that's on these popular diets! Why go to the trouble and expense to buy it and fix it if you don't like it?

Just curious what others think. I haven't really tried fasting for a long time. I used to do it when I was younger (late teens, early 20's) and I lost A LOT of weight. When I've tried recently, not only is it harder to find the willpower, but even if I do, it doesn't seem to work as well. So I wonder if fasting is less effective as you get older? Anyone want to share their thoughts or experience on fasting or extreme calorie restriction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
    TheSlayer

TheSlayer HB User
    Re: Is it a myth that fasting slows your metabolism?

no it's not a myth-it does slow down your metabolism and you really don't benefit from it at all. I'm not really sure what you mean by the junk on these popular diets but a really easy way to treat your body rght and learn to eat healthy for the rest of your life and keep the weight off is to cut out the bad carbs out of your diet-fill your diet with whole grains and fruits and veggies, lean meats like fish and chicken and drink plenty of water-it's a natural diuretic and it's a very healthy way to live and there aren't special foods to buy just healthy foods-this is the way I eat on the atkins diet and I've lost 32 pounds in about 5 months-well good luck in your pursuits!

Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User

Fasting and gastric bypass are 2 different things. You eat a healthy diet after gastric bypass. My best friend had gastric bypass. She eats roughly 1200 calories a day. She has to eat smaller meals but more of them. She went from nearly 400 lbs (I think 387) to 180. Then she had all the loose skin removed and lost another 20 lbs of skin. She now weighs about 155-160. She exercises 2 hours a day; one hour of swimming aerobics and one hour of walking at the mall. She can still eat whatever she wants, and she doesnít get sick or throw up. She just can't eat everything in sight.

You should choose a diet with foods you like. Heck, no one can go through life eating what they donít like. There is no reason to go extreme or to fast. As youíve said, you lost A LOT of weight by fasting but what good did it do you? You gained it all back. That isnít a successful diet. It was a failure because you failed to maintain it. A diet is a success when you can maintain it. As you begin to eat healthy and lose weight it has 2 benefits. One is, you lose weight. The second is, it teaches you along the way how youíre going to maintain. When you start a diet, itís FOR GOOD, not until you lose the weight then go back to how you were eating before. The way youíre eating now will keep you fat forever. (I donít mean you personally, I mean anyone who is overweight.) Itís a life-altering event.

Good luck to you. Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet low in calories with food you like.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:26 AM   #4
    WishUwerehere

WishUwerehere HB User

Thanks for the replies, guys. Since I am not a candidate for gastric bypass, I guess I will just have to keep searching for a diet that I can stick with and lose weight. I LOVE carbs so I've been trying to just eat less of them and incorporate more vegetables and protein, and eat less food over all, but so far it's not working, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up my beloved bread altogether! I hit 35 last year and it's turned into a real uphill battle!

Old 02-18-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WishUwerehere
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Since I am not a candidate for gastric bypass, I guess I will just have to keep searching for a diet that I can stick with and lose weight. I LOVE carbs so I've been trying to just eat less of them and incorporate more vegetables and protein, and eat less food over all, but so far it's not working, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up my beloved bread altogether! I hit 35 last year and it's turned into a real uphill battle!
    Hi. I lovelovelove carbs too, but strangely enough I'm doing a good job on a low carb diet. You will be amazed how, after a while, you can give up bread, pasta and potatoes, three of my favorite foods. I make dinner rolls with soy flour and wheat gluten, and even my picky 17 year old son loves them. You can have a piece of low carb toast with breakfast. Give it a try... you never know! Oh, and it's great to start now. If you think 35 is an uphill battle, wait until you're 42 like me. I am, however, 5'6" and 127 lbs. So you *can* do it.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
    DonutsNCoffee
    Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WishUwerehere
    You do not need to give up bread. Please do not believe that extreme carb restriction is the answer. It does work, but it's not necessary and has its drawbacks. You just need to be smarter about what carbs you eat, how much, when, and with what other foods. I'm able to eat oatmeal, bread, and brown rice, fruits and vegetables, sneak in the occasional candy and still lose fat. Before you embark on something like low-carb, do the following and see if you get any results:

1) Eliminate processed carbs.
    2) Never eat carbs without protein. Protein slows digestion so the carbs take longer to enter your system. This helps keep insulin levels from getting too high.
    3) Eat more carbs early in the day. This is known as carb tapering and takes into account how your body's demand for energy changes as the day progresses. Your metabolism is fast in the morning and slow at night.
    4) Focus on complex carbs that are high in fiber. Fiber slows digestion and reduces the net carbs you take in.
    5) Simple carbs like fruit are best consumed with your morning meals.
    6) Do not use carbs as snacks. I break this rule every once in a while but I'm still able to lose weight.

It goes without saying that none of these steps will matter if you're taking in too many calories.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:01 PM   #7
    jo_ix

jo_ix HB User

I eat a lot of white rice, so it is a must to cut down on that right? Is there a website that lists food that have high protein/carb (and what's the last one?) ? I really need to change my eating habits.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:03 AM   #8
    DonutsNCoffee
    Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jo_ix
    I eat a lot of white rice, so it is a must to cut down on that right? Is there a website that lists food that have high protein/carb (and what's the last one?) ? I really need to change my eating habits.
    Cut out white rice and anything with white flour. If you want rice or bread, eat brown rice and whole wheat bread. As for the list of foods, you've got it wrong. The idea is to combine different foods. One contains protein, the other contains carbs. Good sources of lean protein are chicken, fish, turkey, and egg whites. Good sources of complex carbs are oatmeal, brown rice, yams, and whole wheat bread.

Closed Thread