It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Smoking to cure hunger?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
    Paine

Paine HB User
    Smoking to cure hunger?

I know this may seem obviously dumb , but what are your thoughts on using smoking cigarrettes as a means to curb hunger and possibly lose weight?

My friend who is very slim and eats whatever she wants claims that she doesn't gain any weight bc she constantly smokes. I've known her for 5 years and it does seem very true. We constantly eat fatty foods all the time and she never ever exercises, yet she maintains her weight while I am ballooning out ridiculously. I thought it could be her metabolism, but I read that metabolisms don't really matter that much and have to be raised by exercising. So if she doesn't exercise, shouldn't her metabolism be lower than mine?

Anyway, I started smoking recently and I have found that it stops the hunger immediately. I know smoking has obvious health drawbacks, but doesn't over eating have even more serious health drawbacks? I guess it's just a choice--smoking a cigarrette or binging (both bad choices I know).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 06:35 AM   #2
    angeleyesinga
    (female)

angeleyesinga HB User
    Re: Smoking to cure hunger?

How overweight are you? There are natural products out there that help curb your appetite also. Have you ever smoked before?

Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
    Snowbunnie

Snowbunnie HB User

i wouldnt recc. smoking.. when u do decide to quit u will gain a lot of weight..
    u dont want to smoke forever..

Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paine
    I know this may seem obviously dumb , but what are your thoughts on using smoking cigarrettes as a means to curb hunger and possibly lose weight?

My friend who is very slim and eats whatever she wants claims that she doesn't gain any weight bc she constantly smokes. I've known her for 5 years and it does seem very true. We constantly eat fatty foods all the time and she never ever exercises, yet she maintains her weight while I am ballooning out ridiculously. I thought it could be her metabolism, but I read that metabolisms don't really matter that much and have to be raised by exercising. So if she doesn't exercise, shouldn't her metabolism be lower than mine?

Anyway, I started smoking recently and I have found that it stops the hunger immediately. I know smoking has obvious health drawbacks, but doesn't over eating have even more serious health drawbacks? I guess it's just a choice--smoking a cigarrette or binging (both bad choices I know).
    Let me see if I understand you...instead of eating healthier foods and cutting out the "fatty foods" you KNOW are making you fat, you'd rather destroy your lungs and risk lung cancer?
    And you think there is validity to this strategy because it works for your friend?? I suppose if she told you shooting heroin was a good way to suppress hunger pangs, you'd do that too?
    And if she told you she jumps off cliffs every now and then, because pain also helped suppress her appetite, you'd give that a try?
    Wake up, babe. You are making a bad situation worse.
    The best way to fight off hunger pangs is to stop eating white sugar, white flour, white pasta, processed foods, fast foods, pop, alcohol, caffeine and instead eat fresh fruit, fresh veggies, whole grains, lots of water, and to eat something every 2-3 hours.
    You are heading for a physical train wreck of major proportions. Get off at the next stop, pronto!

best wishes,

charli
    highest wt: 233
    203/146/146 on Fat Flush Plan for life and feeling

Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
    never2L8

never2L8 HB User

Nothing can justify taking up smoking, being overweight can increase your chances of early death but smoking guarantees early death. Your friend obviously knows nothing about a healthy lifestyle and what is good for her. Also remember that skinny does not equal healthy - lots of skinny people are unfit, have high cholesterol, high diabetes risk, high blood pressure etc.

As Charli says, eat fresh fruit or veg and drink water when you feel hungry and eat regularly. The hungrier you feel, the more you will eat when you do finally eat so have smaller healthy meals regularly.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
    bluesnowflake
    Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

I know many fat people that smoke.

Old 03-23-2004, 03:00 AM   #7
    cinderella77

cinderella77 HB User

Ive been overweight for a few yrs now, and i was smoking alot i wasnt losing the weight, but it was staying the same. anyways i decided to quit smoking like 4 months ago and i quickly gained 28 lbs. now im more overweight than i already am. plus went to the doctor, found out i have high cholesterol and i also have acid reflux disease. that was in feb, when i found out and the doctor said to cut down w/ eating and to exercise, my bmi is 38, BUT IT IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE! Everyone is saying to eat healthy and exercise, i just always find it sooo hard to do. I dont know what can help me. but pls try not to smoke, this acid reflux disease made me more scared to start smoking again.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:20 AM   #8
    angeleyesinga
    (female)

angeleyesinga HB User

"I know many fat people that smoke."
    The question is, "How many people do you know who start smoking to lose weight?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinderella77
    Ive been overweight for a few yrs now, and i was smoking alot i wasnt losing the weight, but it was staying the same. anyways i decided to quit smoking like 4 months ago and i quickly gained 28 lbs. now im more overweight than i already am. plus went to the doctor, found out i have high cholesterol and i also have acid reflux disease. that was in feb, when i found out and the doctor said to cut down w/ eating and to exercise, my bmi is 38, BUT IT IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE! Everyone is saying to eat healthy and exercise, i just always find it sooo hard to do. I dont know what can help me. but pls try not to smoke, this acid reflux disease made me more scared to start smoking again.
    Only we as an individual can control what we put in our mouths, whether it be food or cigarettes. And yes, it's easier said than done but you can do anything you put your mind too. If you say it is hard to do, then you will not do it. Math is hard but we learn it, right? You stopped smoking and that is great, not many people can do that. The only thing that can help you, is you. Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
    smartgal
    Veteran
    (female)

smartgal HB User

I started smoking with the idea of losing weight. I now weigh about 85 pounds more than when I originally started smoking 20 years ago. NO, it does not work! I quit about 10 weeks ago and fortunately have not put on any weight since. Really, really stupid idea! (the idea, not you, so please don't get offended!)

Old 03-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
    bluesnowflake
    Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

thanks angeleyes, but I know . I am making a point that people that smoke do not smoke because they want to lose weight, and those that do, probably regret it. Wasn't that obvious? If you have nothing to say about a particular post, except to point out the obvious, is it really worth it?

My sister quit smoking for 5 months, gained about 10 pounds, and lost it again when she started smoking again. She lost the weight by going to the gym and eating better- nothing to do with smoking again. I am sure it 'helped' subside her snacking, but she still snacked A LOT- on carrots and similar things.

Paine, smoking and being overweight are both bad things- don't do one to counteract the other. Look around you- so many people that were small in the past smoke(d), and now they are bigger and they still smoke.

blue

Last edited by bluesnowflake; 03-23-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Old 03-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
    angeleyesinga
    (female)

angeleyesinga HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluesnowflake
    thanks angeleyes, but I know . I am making a point that people that smoke do not smoke because they want to lose weight, and those that do, probably regret it. Wasn't that obvious? If you have nothing to say about a particular post, except to point out the obvious, is it really worth it?

My sister quit smoking for 5 months, gained about 10 pounds, and lost it again when she started smoking again. She lost the weight by going to the gym and eating better- nothing to do with smoking again. I am sure it 'helped' subside her snacking, but she still snacked A LOT- on carrots and similar things.

Paine, smoking and being overweight are both bad things- don't do one to counteract the other. Look around you- so many people that were small in the past smoke(d), and now they are bigger and they still smoke.

blue
    Nothing was obvious in your original post "I know fat people that smoke". Except, you know fat people who smoke? Your second post made more sense and was helpful, people who start smoking to lose weight usually regret smoking. And if you re-read my post I quoted your post and another. The obvious here was your post "I know fat people who smoke." which was not what the beginning post was about, it was about she started smoking to help her lose weight, right? Please correct me if am wrong. Did not mean to ruffle your feathers, just re-asked the question

Old 03-23-2004, 10:16 PM   #12
    bluesnowflake
    Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

Well, I just want to say a word for the future- I'm not the only one on these boards that would be a little ruffled when their post is pointed out by someone that may have not taken it the same way as others would have. Hence why these boards exist, people don't post for others approvals or reminders. If everyone stuck to one point, and various comments were not approved to be written, there would be very limited responses. Some people react with anger, others with annoyance, and others with understanding in regard to the same post. I don't think you're wrong, I just don't think what we are discussing is necessary to what Paine would like her thread to be about, don't you agree? I am sure the moderators would agree when I ask you to respect my opinions and comments. thanks

blue

Old 03-24-2004, 12:57 AM   #13
    angeleyesinga
    (female)

angeleyesinga HB User

Blue - We all have opinions and we are entitled to them. I'll say it again, did not mean to ruffle your feathers for asking a question. "How many people do you know who start smoking to lose weight?", it was a question. Paine's question was our opinion on smoking to curb your appetite and lose weight. This is a board where thousands of people ask questions. We don't have to like the responses or the opinions of others. Who's singling who out here?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paine

Paine - Have you ever smoked prior to now? And have you ever tried anything else to curb your appetite or lose weight?
    Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 03-24-2004 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Please do not post the material of others. Write your own messages. Thank you.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:58 AM   #14
    Paine

Paine HB User

Yes I have smoked prior to this, though I wouldn't consider myself a serious smoker. Maybe one or two cigs a day at the most. I quit for a year, then I recently started smoking again. My main problem is late night binging. If I don't smoke, I always binge. If I do smoke, I just don't binge. It's as simple as that.

And yes I have tried other things (if not everything), but they've all ultimately been unsucessful. Smoking has been the only 100% successful and instant way for me to painlessly stop hunger. It's like a miracle.

So while it is pretty obvious that I should just "cut out the fatty foods" like csoar2004 said, that is just not my point. If I could cut out the fatty foods with ease and success, then I would be skinny by now and would not need to try alternative methods like smoking.

I know if I had strong willpower I could just "cut out the fatty foods," but I just don't right now. I'm sure none of us do, if that were so then none of us would be here, and nobody in the world would have trouble losing weight.

I know smoking cigs should not be a permanent solution to my late night binging, but for the moment (I have no will power at this stage in my life), smoking does seem to help SOME. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. For now my opinion seems to be that smoking one cigarrette a day is a lot better than a 2000+ calorie late night binge every night.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, guys

Last edited by Paine; 03-24-2004 at 04:07 AM.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #15
    smartgal
    Veteran
    (female)

smartgal HB User

If I could have stayed at 1 or 2 cigs a day, I probably wouldn't have quit. For me, that was impossible. I would always get up to 20 a day. I think most people who smoke can't limit their numbers the way you do and that's why it's a bad idea. Although they say 1 or 2 can still hurt you, I think compared to significant weight you might be choosing the lesser of two evils. It amazes me when people make simplistic statements like "just eat right", duh! But if we could and if it was that easy, we would all be thin.

Closed Thread