It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• any low carb foods that taste GOOD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
    samalexandra

samalexandra HB User
    any low carb foods that taste GOOD

any suggestions?!! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2004, 06:58 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: any low carb foods that taste GOOD

Lobster soaked in brown butter!
    A perfectly grilled filet mignon with a still red core!
    An aged piece of Brie.
    Filet of Flounder in a buerre blanc sauce.
    Bacon
    A perfectly roasted CHICKEN!

Last edited by zip2play; 06-12-2004 at 07:05 AM.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
    mikael26288
    (male)

mikael26288 HB User

Don't forget the veggies, low in carbs and taste good too. lol

Old 06-14-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Low carb tortillas,carb solutions spaghetti sauce,akins bake mix,carb solutions alfredo sauce,hoods chocolate milk.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
    computris2

computris2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzyshop1
    Low carb tortillas,carb solutions spaghetti sauce,akins bake mix,carb solutions alfredo sauce,hoods chocolate milk.
    What do you eat all the spaghetti sauce, and alfredo sauce with? Surley you don't just eat it alone?? Is their such a thing as low carb pasta?

Old 08-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

there is LC pasta, but before there was this product low carbers would typically use it on things like spaghetti squash, or zucchini. It's also good on chicken breast with some parmasan or mozarella cheese.

Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 08-29-2004 at 06:50 AM. Reason: *****'s!

Old 08-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #7
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Butter, sauces, cheese, bacon - can't you see how much fat you're load*ng your arter*es w*th? Do you honestly bel*eve eat*ng l*ke that *s worth r*sk*ng your health?

Old 08-28-2004, 06:22 PM   #8
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

* mean, doesn't anybody know by now that eat*ng l*ke that *s bad for you???

Old 08-29-2004, 06:51 AM   #9
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LV40
    Butter, sauces, cheese, bacon - can't you see how much fat you're load*ng your arter*es w*th? Do you honestly bel*eve eat*ng l*ke that *s worth r*sk*ng your health?
    Actually, LV, eating this way typically lowers cholesterol levels and improves your lipid profile. If you're interested I have a post on here somewhere with the facts.

Nat

Old 08-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #10
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

No thanks, I'm on a low-fat as suggested by my doctor, I can't eat like that anymore. I don't WANT to eat like that anymore. That's what got me into trouble in the first place

Old 08-29-2004, 08:08 AM   #11
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    No thanks, I'm on a low-fat as suggested by my doctor, I can't eat like that anymore. I don't WANT to eat like that anymore. That's what got me into trouble in the first place
    Eating low carb, or eating fatty foods in conjunction with refined carbs? As they say back home, Il y'a une grande différence

For those worried about cholesterol and health doing a LC diet:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1143010#post1143010

Nat

Old 08-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gopherhead
    Eating low carb, or eating fatty foods in conjunction with refined carbs?
    Definitely the latter. I ate a high-fat, high-carb diet and it totally destroyed me. The sad thing is I could never figure out why I could never lose weight.

However, I don't see how eating high-fat can benefit anyone. Although I'm aware that different eating habits work differently for different people. Yes, we need some fat, but eating butter and cream sauces and bacon and fatty foods day in and day out CAN'T be good for you. I know 2 people who did the Atkins diet, followed it religiously, and they've both put their weight back on AND have high cholesterol.

Not all diets work the same for everyone. The diet you're speaking of may work good for some folks, but not for all

Old 08-29-2004, 10:33 AM   #13
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    I know 2 people who did the Atkins diet, followed it religiously, and they've both put their weight back on AND have high cholesterol.
    A sad but often problem when people think of eating low carb as a 'diet', it truly has to be a lifestyle change. I'm sure you've heard of the definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The same thing applies with a change in dietary consumption; if you go back to how you used to eat you'll get the same results you used to get.

Quote:
    but eating butter and cream sauces and bacon and fatty foods day in and day out CAN'T be good for you.
    I used to buy into the low fat dogma spouted by the media and I thought the same way. I even figured I could never do this type of change because of how active I was - I mean I absolutely needed carbs to be able to run, mountain bike and swim. Turns out I was wrong (hey, it happens lol ) Eating lard (yep, lard), butter, cream and high fat meat is pretty much how we used to eat way long time ago, long before we became aggrarian. The whole notion that we should all eat low fat diets rich in grains was created by politicians back in the late 1960s and early 1970s. It was actually opposed by the AMA and the leading experts on diet and nutrition at the time; they claimed that the guidelines raised the "potential for harmful effects", that the committee was advising Americans to eat less fat was equivalent to conducting a nutritional experiment with the American public as subjects.

Some of the biggest, most exhaustive studies that set out to prove eating less fat would lessen your chances of developing CVD failed. The biggest being the Framingham Heart Study. This study was set up in the town of Framingham, Massachusetts, by Harvard University Medical School in 1948. The Framingham researchers thought that they knew exactly why some people had more cholesterol than others - they ate more in their diet. To prove the link, they measured cholesterol intake and compared it with blood cholesterol. What they found was that although subjects consumed cholesterol over a wide range, there was little or no difference in the levels of cholesterol in their blood; no relationship between the amount of cholesterol eaten and levels of blood cholesterol was found. (Although it is interesting that women who had the highest levels of cholesterol in their blood were ones who had eaten the least cholesterol.)

The study went on for 22 years and the results were "There is, in short, no suggestion of any relation between diet and the subsequent development of CHD in the study group." Fruthermore, on Christmas Eve, 1997, after a further twenty-seven years, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) carried a follow-up report that showed that dietary saturated fat reduced strokes.

One of the largest and most demanding medical studies ever performed on humans, The Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial (known in the medical world, by its initials, as MR. FIT) involved 28 medical centres and 250 researchers and cost $115,000,000. The researchers screened 361,662 men and deliberately chose subjects who were at very high risk. They cut cholesterol consumption by 42%, saturated fat consumption by 28% and total calories by 21%. Yet even then they didn't succeed. Blood cholesterol levels did fall, but by only a modest amount and, coronary heart disease was unaffected. Its originators refer to the results as "disappointing" and say in their conclusions that "the overall results do not show a beneficial effect on Coronary Heart Disease or total mortality from this multifactor intervention."

The Tecumseh Study attempted to correlate blood cholesterol levels measured one day with the amounts of fats eaten the previous day - but found none. They did find however, that the people who ate the least cholesterol had the highest levels of blood cholesterol.

North Karelia, which had Finland's highest rates of heart disease, was compared with neighbouring Kuopio in The North Karelia Project. In North Karelia, risk factors were cut by 17% over the period of the study. In North Karelia there was a reduction in both CHD mortality and total mortality. However, in Kuopio, the control group, where there were no restrictions, there was an even bigger decline in both CHD and total mortality. The conclusion here was that a 'healthy' lifestyle may actually have inhibited the decline in heart disease.

One study that seemed to support the 'healthy' recommendations was a Finnish trial published in 1975. In the five years that the trial ran, cholesterol levels were lowered significantly, and the study was hailed as a success. But in December 1991 the results of a 10-year follow-up to that trial found that those people who continued to follow the carefully controlled, cholesterol-lowering diet were twice as likely to die of heart disease as those who didn't.

I'm not trying to change your mind about what type of diet you should be following, LV, I'm just addressing the comment on how eating a high fat diet could possibly be 'healthy'. I believe, as you do, that not every way of eating is right for every person - heck I get bored eating a certain way after a while and change to another 'plan' just to be able to enjoy certain foods.

The point I am trying to make is this is a viable and healthy way to eat - if done correctly. The "how" part of how it can be healthy is another long post and I have household chores to get to, so please excuse me

Cheers
    Nat

Old 08-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #14
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Well, I appreciate you posting all of that. I guess it just depends on the individual. I think the reason we're destroying our overall diets and ending up with no less (or even more) coronary artery disease is because we replace these 'bad' foods with even worse ones, ASSUMING they're better for us. That, I believe, is where the trouble lies.

For example, instead of eating potato chips fried in fat, people are eating potato chips fried in Olestra. Instead of eating pure sugar, people are turning to imitation sweeteners, like Splenda and Aspartame. Instead of using real dairy butter, we're eating fat-free 'butterlike' substances. All of these products, some of which haven't even been fully tested yet, are basically chemicals. We're trading fat for chemicals and quite possibly doing more harm than good. Many people, including nutrition experts, say to eat the real thing. If you want something sweet, eat sugar. If you want butter on your bread, use the real deal. And definitely skip that Olestra. The key is moderation.

However, I too buy into the no fat/no sugar thing. I don't use butter or even margarine anymore, I use the fat-free butter sprays and spreads. Sugar free pudding. Anything to cut fat and refined sugar from my diet, I do it. That combined with watching my calories and backing off of 'white' carbs (I rarely eat pasta and white rice and white breads) I've lost 25 pounds. So... it's working. For ME.

So yes, I too limit my carbs. But I don't replace it with fat. Fat clogs your arteries and heart disease runs in my family. I also have borderline-high cholesterol, which I'm trying to get down myself because I refuse to take cholesterol-lowering drugs. And losing weight is going to help me accomplish that, I'm hoping. Losing even 10% of your weight can help lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and a variety of other things. Perhaps these people in these studies didn't notice any different because although they were eating low fat, they were still eating too many calories. And weight loss itself is a 'key' factor in reducing cholesterol, heart disease, and other common health problems. I don't think these statistics tell the whole story. Unfortunately, they rarely do.

Old 08-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #15
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    I've lost 25 pounds. So... it's working. For ME.
    Good job, LV. Feels fantastic doesn't it?

Nat

Closed Thread