It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Hunger and the way your body reacts to it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
    Question Hunger and the way your body reacts to it?

Okay, so when you're hungry, but not really hungry, but just because you're seeing food and you crave it so badly and your tummy gets all like oh man I want that and you start to drool. Does that have any effect on your body? Like when you're able to resist taking those bites of that delicious cake, will your body think it's starving (short-term starvation mode??)? Or just my brains? Does it have any effect at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User
    Re: Hunger and the way your body reacts to it?

you know the joke I am on a see food diet? if I see food I eat it. well honey I understand your plight been there done that, if you see food and start to drool and want that food that truly is a hunger signal, I had to learn this over time that the brain perceives hunger before the body does/

example. I can be typing on the computer, like right now and all of a sudden a food thought will pop in my head, if it doesnt go away, and I have absolutly no hunger in the tummy, such as growling or empty feeling (I also learned an empty feeling is not always hunger) then I go ahead and eat what looks good like cereal hard boiled egg or whatever real food looks good to me until the food doesn't appeal anymore, 99 percent of the time I got the hunger signal right I was hungry and my brain was telling me that.

so how does the body interpret hunger? as a fuel emergency, what if this hunger which comes in many forms is ignored over time, or you wait to eat say and hour or so after food looks good to you but you fight the urge to eat it? (for whatever reason you don't have to be dieting) then the body interprets that as a famine, the food supply seems limited or why would you ignore a fuel need signal?

over time this hunger can get distorted and seldom come except when it is excessive, and this is famine signaling, in other words the body has learned that famines occure and it is fruitless to keep sending hunger signals to care for all fuel needs each day so it is imperative from the body's perspective to maintain a certain amount of stored fuel, you savvy? so you may be eating to satisfaction when you do realize your hungry but you may not be eating enough for the body to not need stored fuel anymore, such as adipose tissue (fat) you may be eating to comforatable point out of habit or because of fear of overeating that you are not eating to complete satiaty.

understand? so it is what the body perceives that is important because the body has a bunch of reactions to underfueling, especially if carried out over a long period of time whether excessive or mild, such as slowing metabolism, storing of fat, binging to replace lost fat stores, burning up of muscles, (Muscles are not preserved from exercise when one does not eat enough whether dieting or not) lack of human growth hormone and thyroid stimualting hormone in reaction to exercise, a lack of desire for exercise, desire to sleep more often than seems normal, that sorta thing. the amount of adaptations of these things is related to the severity of the famine and how famine sensitive an individual is (the minimum amount of fuel you can eat without triggoring the thrifty gene, symptoms I just stated)
    understand?

Good eating!

RR

Old 08-13-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Yeah, I think I understand. But you're saying I should just eat food when I want food? Cause then I would definitely be over-eating...

Old 08-13-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

actually you have to overeat in order to stop overeating. overeating almost always follows undereating somewhere or a poor quality diet. try eating a very substantial breakfast and see if that helps.

also try upping the quality too, for example if you crave ice cream try eating peanut butter instead, yes it is high fat but it is also a higher quality food. that way you send the message that the food quantity and guality is high. this is to stop the famine feast cycle that causes overeating. it won't happen in one day but over time you should see your eating getting less or lighter in fare without having to force it.

RR

Old 08-13-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justme_
    Okay, so when you're hungry, but not really hungry, but just because you're seeing food and you crave it so badly and your tummy gets all like oh man I want that and you start to drool. Does that have any effect on your body? Like when you're able to resist taking those bites of that delicious cake, will your body think it's starving (short-term starvation mode??)? Or just my brains? Does it have any effect at all?
    Well Dreamer and I will never agree on this particular topic, but I will answer your question and you will have an alternate opinion.

Hunger is a sign of metabolic weakness - usually hunger is a result of insufficient food or nutrition, dehydration, high or low blood glucose levels, hormone imbalance, or a number of other things going on inside your body. YES you definately need to be aware of hunger signals and respond to them, BUT even more important is to learn how to PREVENT them from occuring.

When you optimize your metabolism you DO NOT feel hunger, nor do experience cravings or urges to taste something. There are many ways to acheive this state - eating more often throughout the day is most important. I am saying to eat at least EVERY 3 hours, even if you are not hungry. The point here is to eat to AVOID hunger, so that you never need to respond in the way that Dreamer is recommending. (That approach is putting a bandaid on a symptom - it is NOT solving the problem.)

Additionally, by eating balanced meals throughout the day that include reasonable quantities of carbs, protein, and fat (in every meal and snack) provides your body with all that it needs to function correctly. Many people are in the habit of eating little or no protein for breakfast, or little or no carbs for lunch, or skipping entire meals eating only once or twice per day - an imbalanced diet like this leads to real hunger signals, cravings, and urges to binge. This is because you have deprived the your body of the nutrition that it needs. The signals can be confusing too, because you will respond to things like the smell of cake or pizza nearby, but in fact your body would actually be quite satsified with any healthful food or pehaps just water.

Dehydration is another imortant aspect. The body often confuses hunger with thirst. Most people are dehydrated and don't even realize it. When the body needs hydration it can send confusing hunger signals - anytime you get an intense urge to eat, yet you do not feel physical hunger in your stomach, drink a minimum of 8 ounces of water and wait 15 minutes. Chances are your hunger symptoms will completely diminish.

Again, eating every 3 hours, balancing your meals with proper amounts of macronutrients, and avoiding dehydration will absolutely, without doubt, eliminate hunger, confusing hunger signals, cravings, and urges to binge.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Wow...that's so useful information! Thanks man.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

it is okay to disagree that is how we learn, sometimes it takes a disagreement to get one to do their own research and then make up their own minds.

tho I do agree on one thing, we sometimes get our signals confused, and sometimes thirst is confused with hunger, we eat something salty and crave ice cream, maybe in this instance we are craving the cool wetness of the ice cream. the only way to know is drink a glass of ice water and see if the craving goes away. if not try a real food that is rich like peanut butter or regular milk if your body truly is craving the fat.

I also know that when we are the famine feast cycle or just getting off of it, we sometimes have trouble with our signals because of past misinformation and poor habits, that we have to relearn them.

RR

Closed Thread