It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• repairing my metabolism -need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
    yock
    (female)

yock HB User
    repairing my metabolism -need advice

Hi everyone. I have a metabolism question. How does one go about "fixing" their metabolism so it works right. I have had terrible eating habits in the past (no breakfast, no lunch, small dinner, then cookies, YUCK, I know), yo-yo dieting, no excersize. Top that off with a hysterectomy 3 years ago, diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago (I'm on medicine for that), and quitting smoking 4 months ago. My metabolism must be in horrendous shape. I really would like to start losing weight, but don't even know where to begin. I'm still not eating great (I'm trying though by trying to cut out bad carbs and drinking lots of water), and have started excersizing. I do 8 min. abs in the am, walk 2 to 3 miles at lunch, and pilates 3 times a week. I'd love to run, but I have bad knees from a car accident where my knees ended up in the glove compartment. Can one "fix" their metabolism so it starts to work properly, or once you ruin it, it's ruined?????Help!! I'm 45 yrs old, 5'3" and 145 lbs. Would like to lose atleast 25 lbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
    yock
    (female)

yock HB User
    Re: repairing my metabolism -need advice

Anyone have any advice on how to make sure my metabolism is working properly? Please!!!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yock
    Hi everyone. I have a metabolism question. How does one go about "fixing" their metabolism so it works right. I have had terrible eating habits in the past (no breakfast, no lunch, small dinner, then cookies, YUCK, I know), yo-yo dieting, no excersize. Top that off with a hysterectomy 3 years ago, diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago (I'm on medicine for that), and quitting smoking 4 months ago. My metabolism must be in horrendous shape. I really would like to start losing weight, but don't even know where to begin. I'm still not eating great (I'm trying though by trying to cut out bad carbs and drinking lots of water), and have started excersizing. I do 8 min. abs in the am, walk 2 to 3 miles at lunch, and pilates 3 times a week. I'd love to run, but I have bad knees from a car accident where my knees ended up in the glove compartment. Can one "fix" their metabolism so it starts to work properly, or once you ruin it, it's ruined?????Help!! I'm 45 yrs old, 5'3" and 145 lbs. Would like to lose atleast 25 lbs.
    I will offer some strategies to strengthen the metabolism... If you are serious and want results you can apply all at once, but you may find that you need to tackle a few at a time. Here it goes...

1. Drink more water, and even better, drink only water - you need about 75 ounces per day.

2. Eat every 3 hours - 5 or 6 small meals per day. You may need to carry food/snacks with you, but this is important. Its okay to eat at night... An example of a meal schedule would be 8AM, 11AM, 2PM, 5PM and 8PM.

3. Distribute your calories evenly throughout the day. For example, eat 5 equal meals or many people prefer to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, the 3 meals should each be 1/4 of your daily total calories and the 2 snacks each 1/8 of your total daily calories.

4. Balance your ratio of carbs, protein, and fat at every meal and snack. Ideally, you want 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat. You may need to tweak these ratios, but this is a good balance for most people.

5. Improve the quality of your food. Wherever possible eliminate chemical additives and preservatives. Choose complex carbs including whole grains, starch and non-starch vegetables, legumes, seeds, etc. Try to eat 25-30 grams of fiber daily. Avoid sugar and white flour products. Choose lean meats, fish, seafood, low-fat dairy, soy, nuts, and seeds for protein (go easy on the nuts because they are VERY high in fat). Choose polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats and avoid saturated fats and trans fat. Eat colorful foods - the more colorful your meal, the more nutritious!

6. Take a multivitamin (preferably natural, not synthetic). In addition, you would benefit from 200-300 mcg of chromium daily (some MVs include this), a B-complex supplement, and high doses of vitamin C (2000-3000 mg daily). The B-complex and C are best taken in smaller doses more often in the day, for example with each meal. Look for supplements that instruct you to take 2 or 3 per day as opposed to 1 per day.

Your BMR for maintenance is about 1375 calories per day. Your activity factor adds about 250 calories (I calculated 60 minutes of moderate activity), which means you could eat 1625 calories per day to maintain your weight. To be honest, I actually would recommend that you not reduce your calories yet. I recommend applying these other strategies first for about 2-3 weeks and see what happens. You may find that you will lose weight without reducing the calories. After 3 weeks if you are not losing weight, cut your calories down by 100 (and recalculate your ratios!)

I am going to use 1600 calories per day because its easier. - Considering steps 2, 3, and 4 above, I recommend that you have 3 meals, 400 calories each, and 2 snacks, 200 calories each. The 400 calorie meals should consist of 50 carb grams, 25 protein grams, and 11 fat grams. The 200 calorie snacks should each consist of about 25 carb grams, 12-13 protein grams, and 5-6 fat grams.

I guarantee this will help you and its not as difficult as it may sound. You will never feel hungry and you will get your health back. It really does work!

Old 07-07-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Oh and I forgot to mention... it would benefit you greatly to buy a kitchen scale. this way you always know your portions. There are some great websites that can help you determine nutirtional value of foods - calorieking is one. Also there is a USDA database, but you will need to google for that one.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
    yock
    (female)

yock HB User
    Jdimassimo - one more question....

will add question on another post

Last edited by yock; 07-07-2004 at 10:24 AM.

Closed Thread