It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Does Anyone Know If Meridia Is The Same Thing As Phentermine ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
    funstars

funstars HB User
    Question Does Anyone Know If Meridia Is The Same Thing As Phentermine ?

hi i am wondering if any one knows if phentermine and MERIDIA are the same thing? i have tried phentermine and i didnt like how i felt is MERIDIA the same thing and same effects ? any one who uses MERIDIA let me know thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #2
    jess301

jess301 HB User
    Re: Does Anyone Know If Meridia Is The Same Thing As Phentermine ?

its not at all the same thing. meridia is a failed anti-depressant, found to have appetite suppressing qualities. phetermine is basically speed. i can tell you that meridia makes my stomach a little nervous feeling--sort of like phetermine did. you should do a yahoo search on meridia, and talk to your doc. also, meridia is very expensive--around $100 a month.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
    funstars

funstars HB User
    Question Re: Does Anyone Know If Meridia Is The Same Thing As Phentermine ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jessicameg
    its not at all the same thing. meridia is a failed anti-depressant, found to have appetite suppressing qualities. phetermine is basically speed. i can tell you that meridia makes my stomach a little nervous feeling--sort of like phetermine did. you should do a yahoo search on meridia, and talk to your doc. also, meridia is very expensive--around $100 a month.

jessicameg , so you are on meridia ? how long have you been on it and how do you feel on it ? is it anything at all similar to the phentermine ? like being on speed ? also is it working for your weight loss ?
    i did do a search on meridia but didnt see to much to read on it besides the side effects and all.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
    jess301

jess301 HB User

i have only been on meridia for about a week and a half--so no, i haven't lost any weight yet. i read on their website that if you don't lose at least 4 lbs in the first month than you shouldn't bother with a second--it probably won't work for you. i guess that kinda honestly is good-- i won't waste too much money
    no, i don't feel like i did on phetermine--when i took that i felt really reved up, but this is more subtle--just feel a little nervous feeling in my stomache--and that may go away soon, could be an early sideffect. the doc who prescribed it basically told me that he didn't think it would work, but if i wanted to try it....
    you should also know it is scheduled drug--meaning it can be addictive and they say it shouldn't be prescribed much longer than 6 months. i don't really know what that means for people with alot of weight to lose. (you can't/shouldn't drop 100lbs in 6 months, you know?). i guess we will see, i will finish out the month, but won't waste my money if i am not losing by then.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:45 AM   #5
    funstars

funstars HB User

Quote:
    i have only been on meridia for about a week and a half--so no, i haven't lost any weight yet. i read on their website that if you don't lose at least 4 lbs in the first month than you shouldn't bother with a second--it probably won't work for you. i guess that kinda honestly is good-- i won't waste too much money
    no, i don't feel like i did on phetermine--when i took that i felt really reved up, but this is more subtle--just feel a little nervous feeling in my stomache--and that may go away soon, could be an early sideffect. the doc who prescribed it basically told me that he didn't think it would work, but if i wanted to try it....
    you should also know it is scheduled drug--meaning it can be addictive and they say it shouldn't be prescribed much longer than 6 months. i don't really know what that means for people with alot of weight to lose. (you can't/shouldn't drop 100lbs in 6 months, you know?). i guess we will see, i will finish out the month, but won't waste my money if i am not losing by then.

hey jessicameg , thanks for your reply, are you going to a weight loss clinic or is it just a regular family doctor that prescribed the Meridia ?
    i am wondering cause i read a few people that said there doctors wont prescribe Meridia cause of all the bad side effects. ya i know that it can be addicted but they say the same thing about phentermine, and man i was not near addicted i felt horrible on it and got off no problem i cant handle being that drugged up if you know the feeling. i couldnt eve sit down i was so hyper. it was nerve racking and i am so glad i am off of it. did you loose anything on the phentermine ? my husband is on them and it has done wondrs for him. i always tell him how can you handle that stuff. well he said he is just trying to get the weight off and it doesnt seem to bother him as bad as it did me. lucky for him. i would never try that pill again. i am suprised you say that your doctor said he didnt think Meridia would work. i read as much as i could and sounds like some people have lost alot of weight on Meridia . the only reason i didnt try it cause i read all the scarey stories on it and i thought it was a speed liek phentermine, so Meridia doesnt make you feel jittery or nervous , fast heartbeat or anything like that?i am just wondering as i know all people will react different from every diet pill. but let me know i was thinking of trying Meridia or xenical. have you by any chance tried xenical ? i have got 53 more to loose and i am not trying to rush and loose weight i would be happy if i can get it off in 8-9 months. i am trying so hard but i need a little boost to get me going. so thats why i was considering one of the 2 i mentioned but no more phentermine for me. i had alot of side efects with that one i was nervous , jittery had bad headaches . well sorry this was so long how much are you looking to loose ? look forward to your reply thank you

Old 07-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
    funstars

funstars HB User

Quote:
    hi jessicameg , just checking back with you to see if how you are doing on meridia ? is it working for your weight loss? let me know thanks

Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 PM   #7
    jess301

jess301 HB User

sorry, hadn't been online for a while.
    well to answer your question, no, no weight loss. i don't really feel the side effects anymore, but i also don't feel the appetite suppression--go figure.
    if you have had some success in losing weight already i suggest you continue with that--for me, i haven't found anything that works--not even good old diet and exercise--i will be going to an endrocronologist this week, hopefully he finds something because if not i am considering surgery (i am 28 yrs, 5 ft even, 175lbs--ugh!)
    but if you want to rev it up or jumpstart things, xenical is effective. its kinda slow (depending on how much you eat now--i don't eat much fat anyway so this wasn't the answer for me). xenical will be better for you in the long run, as it doesn't have any effect on you metabolism--thats the problem with diet pills as we know them--they seem to work while on them, then our metabolism is so screwed up it makes impossible to maintain or lose any more when we quit--and you can't take them forever. xenical simply takes about 1/3 of the fat you eat and flushes it out of your system--its not absorbed at all--which makes for a nasty toilet ring--sorry
    it is sort of like behavior modification--because if you eat something really bad you will definetly know it-if you know what i mean
    did any of this answer your questions? i will check back soon, so if you have anymore questions i will try to help. sorry it took so long to respond..good luck!

Old 07-19-2004, 01:47 AM   #8
    funstars

funstars HB User

Quote:
    sorry, hadn't been online for a while.
    well to answer your question, no, no weight loss. i don't really feel the side effects anymore, but i also don't feel the appetite suppression--go figure.
    if you have had some success in losing weight already i suggest you continue with that--for me, i haven't found anything that works--not even good old diet and exercise--i will be going to an endrocronologist this week, hopefully he finds something because if not i am considering surgery (i am 28 yrs, 5 ft even, 175lbs--ugh!)
    but if you want to rev it up or jumpstart things, xenical is effective. its kinda slow (depending on how much you eat now--i don't eat much fat anyway so this wasn't the answer for me). xenical will be better for you in the long run, as it doesn't have any effect on you metabolism--thats the problem with diet pills as we know them--they seem to work while on them, then our metabolism is so screwed up it makes impossible to maintain or lose any more when we quit--and you can't take them forever. xenical simply takes about 1/3 of the fat you eat and flushes it out of your system--its not absorbed at all--which makes for a nasty toilet ring--sorry
    it is sort of like behavior modification--because if you eat something really bad you will definetly know it-if you know what i mean
    did any of this answer your questions? i will check back soon, so if you have anymore questions i will try to help. sorry it took so long to respond..good luck!
    jessicameg , hi thanks so much for the reply. i really appreciate it. well i was prescribed meridia. and day 1 i felt so sick on them and a bit nervous.
    i have decided i am not gonna mess with any more pills like this that work on the brain. its to scarey for me and i had major headaches all day so i wont continue them looks like i wasted money but i am not willing to continue them after feeling awful all day. how do you feel on meridia and what side effects did you have the first week ? i have placed my order for xencial. funny you metioned them before comeing to the borads to see if you responded to me i went and placed my order this was due to the way i felt all day on meridia.
    so now i have tried meridia and phentermine. dont like the way either one has made me feel i was on phentermine for 3 weeks. felt nervous and restless through out the whole day. then got my wake up call had problems breathing and got anxiety from them. i was takeing only one a day at 30mg.
    i should have started low like 15 mg. oh well pills like this arent for me i tried to get my doctor to prescribe xenical for me but she wanted me to try meridia. since i wont be seeing her for a whole month i went ahead and placed my order for xencial. i know the side effects arent all that but at least its not working on my brain cells. a good thing for me. i have never considered surgery i have 55 to loose so i think they only do surgery for people looking to loose 100 or more, and i dont fall into that catagory.
    i am fed up like you i have tried so hard and seems like nothing is working my last try is xenical if that doesnt work back to low low diet like 1,200 calories a day. and protein shakes to replace 2 meals. ugh... i dred this but have no choice i wanted to get this weight off at least in the next 8 months or so.
    well see . have you checked into the surgery and all ? i would be to frightened to go that route but there are some success stories on that. as with all the pills we tried and didnt work. we just have to keep on trying cause there has got to be something out there for us. good luck and keep me posted . did you by any chance loose any weight of xenical ? let me know thanks

Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
    jess301

jess301 HB User

you know, i don't remember if i lost with xenical--probably not much if i don't remember maybe something like 3-4 lbs. anyway, when i told my doc i didn't like how i felt on phetermine, he suggested i take it twice a day--half the dose twice a day--breaking it up seems to help some people deal with the side effects (supposedly).
    i agree, i think meds that mess with our brains are just not worth it. we have no real idea about the long term side effects on our metabolism--who knows, maybe it was taking all of them in the past that got me here--my metabolism is in permeanant slow-motion
    don't go too drastic because you have given yourself this deadline--i think when we make too many changes at once or too drastic a change, we can never maintain it. thus the yo-yoing continues--and that is the worst thing you can do for your metabolism. anytime i have tried to start exericing and cutting out everything bad from my diet at the same time, i have failed. willpower only lasts so long, then we get burned out.
    oh yeah, and back to your question--i think feeling sort of off the first few days on meridia is alright--if you paid the money you might want to try it a week just to see if it goes away. but don't under any circumstances do if it makes you feel bad or in pain, or any other serious side effect. i tried to keep really busy the first few days so i wouldn't notice it--that helps. when you sit around wondering if this stomache ache is a side effect, or if that headache is an indication something is really wrong...you get the idea. you know your body, just listen to it and do what you think is best. thats the best i can offer. don't overthink it, just do what feels right.
    i am still waiting to hear if the local endocronologist will take me--if not, i will be traveling a bit. who knows, maybe something is hormonally wrong with me, we will see. if you want, do a search under my name, and read my other posts--i can't remember what i wrote when--maybe you will find answers there--or more questions even i think at some place or another i have posted most of my diet attempts---and i have tried them all i wish we could email personally here, it would be easier, but last time i posted it, i was kicked off healthboards for a week i will check back soon.
    jessica

Old 07-21-2004, 12:46 PM   #10
    funstars

funstars HB User

Quote:
    you know, i don't remember if i lost with xenical--probably not much if i don't remember maybe something like 3-4 lbs. anyway, when i told my doc i didn't like how i felt on phetermine, he suggested i take it twice a day--half the dose twice a day--breaking it up seems to help some people deal with the side effects (supposedly).
    i agree, i think meds that mess with our brains are just not worth it. we have no real idea about the long term side effects on our metabolism--who knows, maybe it was taking all of them in the past that got me here--my metabolism is in permeanant slow-motion
    don't go too drastic because you have given yourself this deadline--i think when we make too many changes at once or too drastic a change, we can never maintain it. thus the yo-yoing continues--and that is the worst thing you can do for your metabolism. anytime i have tried to start exericing and cutting out everything bad from my diet at the same time, i have failed. willpower only lasts so long, then we get burned out.
    oh yeah, and back to your question--i think feeling sort of off the first few days on meridia is alright--if you paid the money you might want to try it a week just to see if it goes away. but don't under any circumstances do if it makes you feel bad or in pain, or any other serious side effect. i tried to keep really busy the first few days so i wouldn't notice it--that helps. when you sit around wondering if this stomache ache is a side effect, or if that headache is an indication something is really wrong...you get the idea. you know your body, just listen to it and do what you think is best. thats the best i can offer. don't overthink it, just do what feels right.
    i am still waiting to hear if the local endocronologist will take me--if not, i will be traveling a bit. who knows, maybe something is hormonally wrong with me, we will see. if you want, do a search under my name, and read my other posts--i can't remember what i wrote when--maybe you will find answers there--or more questions even i think at some place or another i have posted most of my diet attempts---and i have tried them all i wish we could email personally here, it would be easier, but last time i posted it, i was kicked off healthboards for a week i will check back soon.
    jessica

hi jessicameg , since you have tried so many prescrition pills just wondering if you have tried Ionamin ? i know it is phentermine but it is suppose to be a time relsease version of it. let me know if you have tried Ionamin and how you felt on it . i was thinking of trying it since phentermine does work just didnt like the way i felt all day on them. meridia i couldnt stand i was to sleepy and felt horrible yes i wasted money on them but id rather waste the money than ruin my health . i am sure these compainies get rich off people like me ..
    reply back to me and let me know your thoughts on Ionamin . thanks funstars

Last edited by funstars; 07-21-2004 at 12:47 PM.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:08 PM   #11
    jess301

jess301 HB User

no, haven't tried ionamin. after trying fastin, adipex and xenical i sort of dropped the pills. there are a few others that seem to be sort of the same--fastin, adipex, tenuate, bontril--i thought about trying them, but i guess i got burned out (or maybe smarter
    anyway, if you have the money and the time, go for it. you seem smart about it--by that i mean you listen to your body and stop taking meds when you feel bad. i do think the others will do the same as phetermine--stop working after a month or two. but hey, i envy you, you still have hope-i am such a cynic these days good luck, let me know how it goes.
    jessica

Old 07-21-2004, 11:19 PM   #12
    funstars

funstars HB User
    Wink Re: Does Anyone Know If Meridia Is The Same Thing As Phentermine ?

Quote:
    no, haven't tried ionamin. after trying fastin, adipex and xenical i sort of dropped the pills. there are a few others that seem to be sort of the same--fastin, adipex, tenuate, bontril--i thought about trying them, but i guess i got burned out (or maybe smarter
    anyway, if you have the money and the time, go for it. you seem smart about it--by that i mean you listen to your body and stop taking meds when you feel bad. i do think the others will do the same as phetermine--stop working after a month or two. but hey, i envy you, you still have hope-i am such a cynic these days good luck, let me know how it goes.
    jessica

jessicameg , hi thanks again for your input and reply. ya well i was just about to give up on them myself then i call the pharmacy asked alot of questiions on ionamin. and it sounds like less effects compare to the phentermine, i actually havent tried as many as you have yet . lol
    i have only tried the phentermine and the meridia. which as you know only took meridia for one day took phentermine longer but man it was hard to deal with feeling so much anxiety, and nervous being on phentermine i am suprised at myself for staying on it for 3 weeks or so. dropped 10 pounds quick on that but i just couldnt handle it no more it was to strong for me.
    i was considering xenical but now checked into this ionamin.
    the pharmacy said some people perfer this ionamin over phentermine cause it is relseased slower. and has less side effects compare to phentermine.
    so yes i put my order in and i see the doctor in 3 weeks. how did you feel on phentermine ? it amazes me when there are people who say they dont feel any effects while on phentermine bummer i wished i didnt have to feel anything so i can drop the rest of my weight i need to loose. i think i told you my husband is on phentermine he said it was hard to get use to in the first week now it doesnt bother him. but since alot of people said the same thing the side effects will subside well i had belief that they would and they never did seems like i was just getting more jittery day by day. well i pray also that ionamin works for me .
    i will let you know how i feel and if it is working. please also be careful with the surgery thing and keep me updated how you are doing. keep in touch thanks so much for all your replys i really envy you for all your support and help with my questions thank you so much. i know the feeling when it seems like everything you do or try just doesnt work anymore. i have always been small till i had kids and wow all the weight just came on like no tommorrow.
    i feel bad sometimes cause trying to loose weight has been a battle for me also been on antidepressents and that didnt help at all i gained like 30 pounds from them . keep in touch and best of luck please keep me posted on your surgery. and if you find one soon thanks funstars

Old 07-22-2004, 10:27 PM   #13
    jess301

jess301 HB User

thanks for the kind words. good luck with the meds, would be interesting to see if they help. as for antidepressants--are you still on them? i have to say, i think they are what killed my metabolism--i never had problems losing weight before i started taking them (then again, i never had to lose more than a few vanity lbs). docs will admit they cause weight gain but they don't tell you that until after taking them--nice trade off right? i might be less depressed, but now i am fat---and how depressing is that! oh well, hopefully the side effect isn't permeanant--forgive the spelling--i am so used to spell check i can barely spell my own name
    good luck!
    jessica

Old 07-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
    txcntrygrl
    (female)

txcntrygrl HB User

Ionamin is suppose to be a lot better than phentermine. For one it is a time release capsule. Also it does not have the side effects like phentermine does. Now it is a lot more $$$$. A bottle of 30 15mg Ionamin is around $88 from Wal Mart.

I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid. My lab #s are balanced right now so this is my time to be able to lose weight. I chose the low dose so I could lose my weight at a safe and healthy rate. It also gives me the time to develop healthy eating habits and make my body adjust to an exercise routine that fits me.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:13 PM   #15
    funstars

funstars HB User
    Post Re: Does Anyone Know If Meridia Is The Same Thing As Phentermine ?

Quote:
    thanks for the kind words. good luck with the meds, would be interesting to see if they help. as for antidepressants--are you still on them? i have to say, i think they are what killed my metabolism--i never had problems losing weight before i started taking them (then again, i never had to lose more than a few vanity lbs). docs will admit they cause weight gain but they don't tell you that until after taking them--nice trade off right? i might be less depressed, but now i am fat---and how depressing is that! oh well, hopefully the side effect isn't permeanant--forgive the spelling--i am so used to spell check i can barely spell my own name
    good luck!
    jessica

hi jessicamerg , your more than welcome for the kind words i really appreciate all the replys you sent thanks. no i am no longer on the antidepressants .
    i was told by my doctor that i wouldnt gain weight now i have a new doctor and she said yes all the antidepressants make you gain weight so not fair on my part i didnt know until i changed doctors . very sad they are all not honest. i never had problems either looseing weight so its been hard on me trying to loose weight and not succeding this time. i just dont understand they give you these antidepressants to make you feel better and in the end they make you feel worse in another way. i sure will let you know how the ionamin works for me and how i feel on them i really wanted the 15 mg but i couldnt find it on the net only was able to find the 30mg and i dont see my doctor for another 3 weeks. well let me know all about your weight loss sugery and how you are doing thanks so much really appreciate your time.
    funstars.

Last edited by funstars; 07-23-2004 at 09:14 PM.

Closed Thread