It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Exercising, eating well...gaining inches???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
    StuckinaRut
    (female)

StuckinaRut HB User
    Exercising, eating well...gaining inches???

So I've been exercising and watching my diet for almost two months now, for the most part consistently. I can feel muscles that weren't there before, and I have been able to bump up the amount of weight I can lift in each exercise, and also have been able to run longer, thus I am finding I am becoming more in shape, and I lost three inches in my waist....But I'mback up 2 inches!!! AAAAAAH! I am 5'4",female, 21 do cardio 3-5 times a week, and strength train the same number of days. I started at 166, and now am up to 169 (I attribute that to muscle, hopefully), and I'm a 33 inch waist, 41 inch hips, 41 inch chest. I can't stand not being able to feel or see my body slmming down and I just don't know what to do. I have tried the kick start diets, and usually break them because I hate fad diets and like to be able to feed my cravings (within limits of course). I eat on average, 1300-1800 calories a dayand I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Help! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
    Owhyze1

Owhyze1 HB User
    Re: Exercising, eating well...gaining inches???

What type of cardio do you do? maybe it's not strenuous enough for you know that you've been doing it for two months. Perhaps you could try doing different cardio routines each time you work out?

Maybe you could try eating slightly different foods? Or changing the quantity..?

Also, there are health conditions that make it hard for some people to lose weight, maybe you suffer from this......

Old 07-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
    rubetc93

rubetc93 HB User

Dear Stuck, I too am in the same boat as you. I was dieting (Weight Watchers) and saw no weight loss. So, about a month and 1/2 ago I added exercise to my regimine. I was doing absolutely no exercise before. Now I do cardio for an hour 5 days a week plus strength training 2-3 days a week. I've seen no results what so ever. It's very upsetting!

I'm a female, 33, 5/4", about 160lbs. I'm not trying to lose a tremendous amt of weight either (about 10-15 lbs). I am a very slow weight loser but I would think with the addition of exercise it would really jump start my weight loss. I keep hearing the "your turning fat into muscle" but after a month I should at least some inches disappearing (and their not). I'm as frustrated as you and I'm not sure what to do.

I have been to the doc (about 2 years ago) and he did a thyroid test and that was ok. I've been struggling with weight all my life but it's gotten really hard in the last year.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

You might want to review the responses to your post from a few weeks back (below) - there were a LOT of suggestions in there that I still think apply here. You really cannot eat 1300-1500 calories, you need at LEAST 1600. I also recall that your diet was not well balanced and perhaps you were not eating enough protein.

Its great that you are excercising a lot, and I am sure some of your weight gain is due to muscle gain, but you should be losing weight and you are not. This is possibly from a poor diet, or perhaps your metabolism is weak from other things (chemicals, junk food, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs). How accurately are you calulating your calories?

Finally, there is a good point here - when was the last time you had a medical check-up? You might want to gave your thyroid levels checked and be tested for diabetes. Both of these conditions can make it VERY difficult to lose weight.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=186207&page=1&pp=5

Old 07-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
    summerbreezer

summerbreezer HB User

When you are doing cardio, are you staying in your target heart range most of the time? If not, you are burning little to no fat, just calories.
    Try doing your cardio in the morning, before breakfast- this way you are not burning what you have ate that day, and your body will be forced to burn your stored fat as fuel.
    You may need to increase the amount of cardio, keeping yourself challenged at all times. When a workout starts getting easier, that's your cue to increase.
    I would highly recommend a protein shake, a few times a day. Most people do not ingest enough protein. If you are not getting enough, your body will start burning muscle (Not Fat) as fuel.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
    rubetc93

rubetc93 HB User

For me, I do a 1/2 hour of the elliptical (sp?) & 1/2 of walking on the treadmill at a high incline. I stay around my target heart range. When I feel it getting easier I either increase speed (tm) or resistance (elip). I normally exericse after work. I don't have a chance to exercise early in the am.

I"m doing WW in addition but I normally eat either egg whites & whole wheat toast for breakfast or Kashi Go lean cereal & ff milk. Lunch is usually a WW meal and dinner is usually a protein, veggies, & a carb. I snack on fruits & yogurt/milk throughout the day and drink all of my water. On the weekends though, I'm a bit more lax in my diet but that's usually just dinner.

I'm just stumped as to why I've seen no results what so ever (no inches lost nor weight).

Old 07-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Rubetc, how many calories are you eating... common mistake is not eating enough calories and not eating enough protein. You need at least 1500 calories per day (based on your info) and you should be getting 94-112 grams of protein each day (spread out between all your meals and snacks. You also need to eat smaller meals more often (which you may be doing). Eating every 3 hours is best for the metabolism.

When people get stuck like this there is often one little thing that they are doing that is standing in the way... the trick is finding out what it is. Maybe you don't get enough protein in the morning... maybe your snacks are have too many carbs... or maybe those "lax" dinners on the weekends are interfering with your results. I know you didn't mention this, but do you eat peanuts or peanut butter? If so, stop for AT LEAST 1 week. I believe that peanut butter can be a dieters WORST enemy - and once it is eliminated, the weight loss continues.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
    Cyberhanna54

Cyberhanna54 HB User

heya
    Ive been dieting 4 3 months now and have lost 16lbs.I am 5"9 and used to way over 13 stone! now I am 12 stone 8lbs still no where slim enough.
    My secret is too cut back ure calories to no more than 1000 to do lots of dancing and running,eat lots of protein and ure inches gain is proably due to increased muscle.However, i work my upper arms out with every weigh available becoz per pound of muscle gained another 40 calories is burned!

Also i drink ice cold water as it takes ure body apprximately 20 calories worth of chemical energy to heat the water up!
    remeber 8 glasses.

Also what about herbal diet pills? they workes 4 my best mate she lost 3 stone in 6 months!

Bellyancing is also good for creating an shapely abdomen

hope this helps

Old 07-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
    rubetc93

rubetc93 HB User

I'm doing WW for my diet so I eat no more than my max. points for the day (22). I'm not sure how many calories that equals too. I don't eat pb or peanuts b/c they are too many points. I eat a protein with every meal but normally just eat 3 meals a day with an afternoon snack. I had tried the South Beach diet before WW (without exercise though) and gained weight. It could be that I keep going from one diet to the next. That's why I thought adding cardio & weights would jump start my metab.

I just bought some Trim Spa though in hopes that it will kick start something in my body. Of course, pills don't usually help but I'm desperate

Old 07-16-2004, 12:29 PM   #10
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cyberhanna54
    My secret is too cut back ure calories to no more than 1000
    I hope you know this is quite dangerous. Its extremely unhealthy for your body, and chances are you will gain back whatever you lose. You should calculate your basal metabolic rate, but even then, anything less than 1200 calories per day is forbidden! You really should consider changing that, but at the very least, don't recommend it to someone else.

Last edited by modert; 07-16-2004 at 12:29 PM.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #11
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

I hear so many people who diet and exercise and yet cannot acheive the results they want. if that is the case I suggest course in human biology. many times the news media parrots doctors who parrot national institues of health or the medical associations who say you have to eat less to lose weight and exercise to build muscle. get the facts yourself and make up your own mind and stop listening to the media recite the same things over and over when experiences shows they are on the wrong track.

but this is like trying to see the picture of a jig saw puzzle with only half of the puzzle completed. the other half they fail to tell you.

first reducing caloires for weight reduction or even if you are not trying to lose weight but just out of habit of ignoring hunger cues, triggors the thrifty gene (you could try a search on the web "thrifty gene")for many. if you are reducing caloires and exercising (and you look like you are exercising enough) and gaining, what is probably happening (guessing here) is you are gaining fat back (fat is bulkier, muscle is denser and takes up less space) it may not be that much only 3 pounds of it is needed to gain a size.

this figure is taken from teh book Bodyfueling by robyn landis. second you have slowed your metabolism (exercise while not eating enough or eating less doesn't preserve muscles scientists who study this said this not me but I concur from expereince)

exercise burns very little fat when you are not eating enough. here is the kicker and i have experienced this (when you eat enough consistently over time and do not ever go hungry ever, and eat enough while you, do a slow steady exercise you will burn more fat than if you have been dieting and doing the same exercise. eating enough allows the body to waste not conserve.

they say it takes 3500 caloires to lose a pound, but in order to do that you have to reduce calories which triggors the thrifty gene and all the side affects with it, or you exercise more which exercise burns very little relative to effort put forth. in other words if you ran an hour a day (jogging is better than running) you burn only 300 or 400 caloires.

our bodies are very efficient especially if you are not eating enough you will burn even less doing the exercise and will burn sugar instead or even muscles and the fat will be spared. I have personally expereinced it and seen it others too. I recommend a search on the web or library on teh following.

adipose 101, it is free to read, the thrifty gene, famine feast cycle, starvation studies, medlines free articles on obeisty. there is alot more but cannot think of them right now.

RR

Old 07-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
    attheendofmyrope
    (female)

attheendofmyrope HB User

I am having the same problem. I have cut back my calories to no more than 1800 a day (I am 5'6" and 196 lbs), I do cardio 5-6 days a week, strength train 4 days a week alternating upper and lower body and I am getting nowhere. i even cut my colas back to only one a day (from three or four). I have tried all of the tips I can find online for losing weight and I still sit here in a size 16. I did initially lose 3 lbs but nothing since then. It is VERY frustrating!

Staci

Old 07-18-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by attheendofmyrope
    I am having the same problem. I have cut back my calories to no more than 1800 a day (I am 5'6" and 196 lbs), I do cardio 5-6 days a week, strength train 4 days a week alternating upper and lower body and I am getting nowhere. i even cut my colas back to only one a day (from three or four). I have tried all of the tips I can find online for losing weight and I still sit here in a size 16. I did initially lose 3 lbs but nothing since then. It is VERY frustrating!

Staci
    Not sure how old you are, but assuming you are between 20-30 years old, you are still eating too many calories. Also assuming you do about 45 min of moderate excercise daily, your BMR is between 1800-1900 calories - you need to reduce that to lose weight. I recommend that you cut your calories to 1500-1600 calories per day. Then some of these other tips will help:

1. Drink 90-100 ounces of WATER per day (Also best if you can give up ALL other beverages. Regardless, drink NO cola AT ALL - not even diet!!!)

2. Eat 5 meals per day. For example, if you eat 1500 calories per day, you should have 5 meals of 300 each, or 3 meals of 375 and 2 snacks of about 188 calories each.

3. Try to have 19-25 grams of protein with every meal (not more, not less). This should be a goal - it will practically force you to balance your carbs and fat as well. If you are doing the smaller snacks of 188 calories, they should have 12-14 grams of protein. (FYI, these numbers are all calculated for you, not just for anyone!)

There are a lot more tips, but if you do just these things, I guarantee you will start losing at a reasonable pace of about 1.5 - 2 pounds per week.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:56 PM   #14
    jess301

jess301 HB User

rubetc93--they say you should get your thyroid tested every year--you might try testing it again....

Old 07-19-2004, 08:10 AM   #15
    rubetc93

rubetc93 HB User

it's been about 2 years since I had my last thyroid test. I'm going to give exercising another month to see if anything kicks in before I go to the doc.

I'm 33, F, and I would say I eat around 1600 calories a day. When I do exercising it says I burn b/w 600-700 calories on it and I do that 5 times a week plus weight training (3 days). The frustrating thing is I might lose 1lb but if I eat one bad thing I end up gaining 3-4lbs. It's like my body is extremely sensitive to every little thing (except for exercise).

Closed Thread