It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• No fried or greasy foods/ what if it is in low fat veggie oil, etc.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Thumbs up No fried or greasy foods/ what if it is in low fat veggie oil, etc.

So it is best not to stir fry, eat any fried foods, baked , broil, grill, etc. , unless it is fat free, do you cook in vegetable oil still frying your foods, I am trying to get away from it completely, what about olive oil,canola, corn, leave it all alone feed back!!

Last edited by candyapple7; 07-27-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User
    Re: No fried or greasy foods/ what if it is in low fat veggie oil, etc.

Olive and canola oil is best because although it still contains just as much fat as other oils, it's higher in monounsaturated fats, which are considered the 'good' fats that help lower bad cholesterol.

Any kind of fat should be limited, but you're way better off with olive and canola oils.

Also, lots of times, like when I saute vegetables or scramble some eggs whites (I take the yolks out) I'll use fat-free cooking spray as opposed to oil and if I need a little more liquid I'll use water or broth. This way you can still saute your veggies and meats but with no fat!

Old 07-27-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Just an added note, there really is no such thing as "low fat" oil, unless you're using the fat-free cooking sprays. Vegetable oil has 100 calories per tablespoon and canola oil has 100 calories per tablespoon and with both oils, all 100 of those calories are fat calories. But again, check out the difference on the labels, canola and olive oil is lower in SATURATED fat than other vegetable oils. The monounsaturates are what you want to go for

Old 07-27-2004, 06:08 PM   #4
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Just to add... Never fry (or cook with high heat) any vegetable oil (i.e. polyunsaturated oil), the heat damages them and you end up with something that can be very toxic to your body. Your best bet is extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (not just 'light' or 'virgin') or butter, in moderation - both are stable at high heats and have not been chemically altered via processing.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
    damaged_tirips
    (female)

damaged_tirips HB User

The big misconception is that canola oil is a good oil, its better than some oils out there, but coconut oil is your best bet at a cooking oil. It has a slight coconut taste to it, but the health benefits really overpower the taste.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

I will also add that the chemical additives in non-fat cooking sprays and fake spray-on butter may actually be counterproductive in a low-fat plan. Adding these chemicals to your diet make it harder for your liver to metabolize fat... IMO you are better off eating higher quality oils and fats, such as real butter and poly- and mono-unsaturated fats, in moderation.

This supports my theory that it does not make sense to attempt any extreme in a diet - because you usually end up compromising your metabolism in one way or another.

Closed Thread