It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• High Protein but Low fat foods?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #1
    HondaDoll
    (female)

HondaDoll HB User
    Question High Protein but Low fat foods?

Hey

I'm barely getting any protein in my diet and I'm trying to lose weight. I want to add more protein but not with alot of fat in it, so I was wondering what everyone is eating for a high protein, but low fat diet? Any suggestions? Let me know.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: High Protein but Low fat foods?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HondaDoll
    Hey

I'm barely getting any protein in my diet and I'm trying to lose weight. I want to add more protein but not with alot of fat in it, so I was wondering what everyone is eating for a high protein, but low fat diet? Any suggestions? Let me know.

Thanks
    I drink a protein whey protein shake about 30-40gr. protein , one gr. carb , Very low fat , maybe none at all . I have to concentrate on protein, because I am a vegetarian!! making sure I get enought!

Old 07-29-2004, 08:33 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: High Protein but Low fat foods?

Add beans to your diet. Almost any kind (black, kidney, white, pinto) has a high protein content with a negligible amount of fat and none saturated.

Pasta has about 7 times the protein as fat and again, no saturates.

And any of the lean fish (think flounder) is virtually a piece of protein with fins!

Egg whites are nearly all protein.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Hey

Thanks

Low Fat cottage cheese is wonderful. 1/3 cup contains 16 grams of protein and very little fat.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
    HondaDoll
    (female)

HondaDoll HB User

Thanks everyone.. this is all really helping. Does anyone know how many grams of protein a day helps with weight loss? I know it probably varies. I once heard too much protein is harmful for your health... is that true?

Old 07-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Thanks everyone.. this is all really helping. Does anyone know how many grams of protein a day helps with weight loss? I know it probably varies. I once heard too much protein is harmful for your health... is that true?
    HD, You cannot go by grams of protein, its got to be about ratio of protein calories to total calories. For example, if you consume 125 grams of protein per day, that is 500 protein calories per day. If you are currently only consuming 1200 calories per day, your protein ratio is 42% - WAY too high. On the other hand, if you consume 2000 calories per day, your protein ratio would only be 25%, a much safer level.

It is extremely dangerous to consume too much protein, although high protein dieters will argue the contrary. The process in which the liver converts proteins into amino acids generates an amonia-based toxin called urea nitrogen. The kidneys are responsible for flushing urea nitrogen out of your body - the more you produce, the harder the kidneys need to work. The liver will attempt to assist the kidneys in excreting toxins from your body, which compromises other vital liver functions (such as metabolism of fat and carbs). Furthermore, the kidneys require more water to excrete urea nitrogen because of its toxicity, so consuming too much protein will lead to dehydration.

The NKF recommends consuming 1 - 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight (2.2 lbs). The US RDA is only .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. So if you weigh 150 lbs NKF recommends 68-82 grams of protein per day, and the US RDA recommends about 55 grams of protein per day. These quantities are a mere 11-16% of total calories! (Too low IMO)

The problem with these recommendations is that if you consume a low intake of protein, you end up consuming too many carbohydrates. This is why I recommend focusing on ratios - antything in the range of 20-30% protein is considered reasonable and safe.

Last edited by modert; 07-29-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #7
    llamamuffinmama

llamamuffinmama HB User

seitan (aka "meat of wheat") is very high in protein and has almost no fat. reduced fat tofu and vegetarian mock meats like soy "ribs" are also great choices!

Closed Thread