It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Can you still feel FULL on a diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User
    Can you still feel FULL on a diet?

Can you still feel full on a diet? Right now I am overfull and my stomach sort of feels like it is being stretched, but I only ate healthy things. So, even though I may have eaten too much, it was healthy foods, so is that ok? Or is eating too much, eating too much?
    Sorry if this is a confusing post...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
    blessed2bme

blessed2bme HB User
    Re: Can you still feel FULL on a diet?

It depends on the calorie intake. There are some healthy foods that are high in calories. I've known overweight vegetarians who also only eat healthy organic foods. Eating too much of ANYTHING is not good. Even healthy foods.

I know the Weight Watchers plan is great to be able to get full without compromising your diet plan. They have lots of 1 point and even 0 point foods! So if you are allowed 20 points a day and you only have 5 points left for dinner, you can eat those 5 points and then have lots of 0 point veggies to help fill you up. You will still be sticking to your diet faithfully if you eat 0 point veggies to help you feel full.

Another great idea is to drink lots of water throughout the day. Water is proven to help curb your appetite and help you feel full. Lots of dieters use water to chase away hunger pangs so that they don't overeat. Also, staying hydrated helps you stay on a diet plan.

Old 07-30-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Eating too much is always possible and should be avoided (for obvious reasons ). Yes, it's possible to eat too much on a diet. How you feel could also be the result of not just how much you ate but what you ate. What did you eat?

Higher fiber foods make you feel fuller; too much fiber in one sitting can do what you described. Some people can have reactions to certain types of fiber as well (mainly psyllium). If you're not used to eating a lot of fiber, and most North Americans do not eat anywhere near enough, suddenly increasing fiber content can cause bloating, a distended stomach and gas. It's best to slowly increase fiber and to ensure you're drinking adequate water throughout the day.

Another good way to avoid eating too much at one meal is to eat 5 smaller meals throughout the day, instead of 3 large ones and some snacks. Smaller meals help you burn fat by increasing metabolism and stabilizing blood sugar levels, making it less likely you'll get cravings and consequently binge later on.

HTH
    Nat

Old 07-30-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

every diet I have ever been on and others have been on for weight loss and then maintenance has always been not full enough, or still hungry, still having food thoughts even tho you think you have eaten enough, as far as the so called experts claim you should be eating.

in order to burn off fat (and inevitably muscles) when reducing caloiric intake always leads to excess hunger in the long run (except for the 5 percent who don't).

I have learned if you are on the famine feast cycle even healthy foods can cause weight gain (all fat no muscles, when there is a caloric deficit as far as teh body is concerned it refuses to let you build alot of muscle despite a vigorous exercise and weight training exercise because obese and dieters bodies do not release human growth hormones and thyroid stimulating hormones in response to exercise adn you need these hormones to elevate metabolism and to burn fat and build muscles.)

but I have learned that once off the cycle because of eating enough, eating often, eating mostly real foods (pleasure foods aren't bad in themselves just they take up space and energy at the expense of more nutrient foods)getting the weight up to match the setpoint and convincing the body through continuous food intake on the body demand basis, that famines even mild ones don't happen anymore, then it will make the needed adjustments in appetite to a weight reducing appetite all without you having to force it, you start finding that you can't stand the old favorites anymore as much, you find binging stops you find you don't have to force yourself not to overeat at special occassions etc.

you find yourself actually enjoying eating and enjoy other activities without worrying about when the next meal is allowed (because you have set caloires you can have at intervals) what if scenarios such as what if I lose control and cannot stop eating and gain my weight back that sorta thing, no more back of the burner anxiety about food and trying to stay within a caloric intake by eating only lower caloire foods all the time,

no more fighting the body. no more having to weigh yourself all teh time, no more worrying about am I overeating even on healthy fare.

the body can take care of your appetite if you let it, it is adjust it according to the training you provide. (you can actually train your body to expect fuel on a continual basis and to lose the fat it has by continuously monitering your hunger and eating food especially real foods when food looks good to you, and never ever going hungry,

going hungry even for a half hour on a continual basis because of waiting until very hungry to eat, until you can't stand it I mean, trains the body to expect famines, albeit a mild famine but a famine nonetheless. this only trains it to hold on to fat and to gain it according to how much the body deems necessary to deal with those mild famines.

people don't realize that by dieting, because of wanting to lose weight, only trains the body to expect famines, and famines need fat to get through them, otherwise you would cannablise itself and this would result in death, fat is for famine insurance,

the fact that you asked about can you overeat even on real foods tells me you are worried about gaining weight (and aren't 90 percent of us?????)

this fear of fat is actually perpetuating the obesity problem, dont' eat on time and don't eat enough to complete satiaty and bingo the body respondes with fat storage and slowing metabolism, burning up energy burning muscles, and a subsequent sluggishness (laziness) setting in all to keep your energy needs low because famines require such tactics to get through them until enough food arrives the feasting stage, we call binging to replace the fat stores for the next famine.

famines are alive and well in america, it is called self imposed famines.

RR

Closed Thread