It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• What are some good diet foods?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2004, 07:17 PM   #1
    hollaback

hollaback HB User
    What are some good diet foods?

I am trying to lose weight and for my age, weight, exercise level and height I should be eating about 2300-2400 calories a day to safely lose weight. I am 6 ft. tall and 270 pounds. However, I never can find the right foods to eat. For example, I find it hard to get so many calories without eating junk. Everytime I find something with a decent amount of calories, it always is either loaded with fat or carbs. And if I don't eat some of these foods high in calories, I find myself having to pig out on vegetables and fruits....which isn't a bad thing...but it takes a lot to add up the calories. So what are some healthy foods that have a decent amount of calories that will contribute to weight loss?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
    jjh12

jjh12 HB User
    Re: What are some good diet foods?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollaback
    I am trying to lose weight and for my age, weight, exercise level and height I should be eating about 2300-2400 calories a day to safely lose weight. I am 6 ft. tall and 270 pounds. However, I never can find the right foods to eat. For example, I find it hard to get so many calories without eating junk. Everytime I find something with a decent amount of calories, it always is either loaded with fat or carbs. And if I don't eat some of these foods high in calories, I find myself having to pig out on vegetables and fruits....which isn't a bad thing...but it takes a lot to add up the calories. So what are some healthy foods that have a decent amount of calories that will contribute to weight loss?
    I lost 38 pounds in 8 months by using SUREloss. It's a Palm PDA program. I entered by height and weight and it shows how many calories I can have each day. Then it keeps track of your daily intake of calories through a huge database that includes fast food, and deducts your calories that you lose through activity and excercise.

I bought mine through handango.com, but they also have a website sureloss.com

This should help.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:59 AM   #3
    blessed2bme

blessed2bme HB User

For a free version of that type of software try ******.com. They also have a paid version if you ever want to upgrade.

As for foods, how about good ol meat? Eat lean meat, veggies, and fruit for dessert. As you start recording your food intake with something like ******.com or the Sureloss thing, you will see which foods fit the mold you are looking for. It is a trial and error process really.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #4
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Well - you're right, most high-calorie foods are also loaded with fat and carbs. And if you're avoiding too many carbs as well, this is going to be tough. But let me give it a shot. The following foods are relatively high in calories, but low in fat and the 'bad' carbs.

Try lean meats, beans, nuts and whole grains. These foods are higher in calories than fruits and vegetables (you can't eat just fruits and vegetables, you need protein) but they're not loaded with fat and carbs. The beans (any type of bean or split pea or lentils, etc.) are high-carb foods, but they're the 'good' carbs that don't cause your insulin levels to skyrocket. They're low on the glycemic index. Kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans, black beans, blackeyed peas, split peas, lentils, etc. They're all an excellent source of fiber as well.

Nuts and seeds are high calorie foods and have significant amounts of fat, but they're very low in SATURATED fat and high in protein and monounsaturates. Great snack to get in those extra calories without loading up on carbs or saturated fats.

Eat whole grain breads and brown rice. White rice (and pasta) is full of the insulin-spiking carbs that you're apparently trying to avoid, so brown rice is better and has more fiber. But don't completely discount pasta, it has it's uses as well. It's a high calorie/low fat food (as long as you don't slather it with butter and cream sauces). Just limit your amounts, don't overdo it on the 'white' stuff (that includes white breads!)

Lean meats, of course. That needs no explanation. I'm sure everyone knows by now to cut the extra fat off of red meats and pull the skin off of chicken

There are lots of options for you right here. If I were going for high calorie but wanted low fat and low carbs, I'd stick with all of the above.

Hope this helps

Old 08-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollaback
    hollaback, It might be more helpful to look at this from another perspective. Have you determined how much carb, protein, and fat you want to consume each day? Or are you just winging it? Most people just wing it and guess, and really have no idea why they are choosing the types of foods they eat.

A more systematic approach will help you choose the right foods and meet your calorie quota for the day. Its really a few simple mathematical calculations.

Start off with a ratio of carb, protein, and fat. I recommend that you start off with 50% carb, 25% protein, and 25% fat. This is a very healthy, balanced approach to eating (for a variety of reasons I am not going to post here). If you eat 2400 calories per day, this means that 1200 of those calories should be carbs, 600 calories should be protein, and 600 calories should be fat.

Next, break that down to the meal level - how many meals will you eat each day? I recommend 5 equal meals OR 3 main meals and 2 snacks, each 3 hours apart. Lets assume you do the 3 meal/2 snack plan. Each meal should be 1/4 of you daily total, and each snack should be 1/8 of your daily total. For you this means that each meal should have 600 calories, 300 of those calories as carbs, 150 calories as protein, and 150 calories as fat. Your snacks would be 1/2 that size - 300 calories with 150 carb calories 75 protein calories, and 75 fat calories.

Now you need to convert these numbers from calories into grams. To do this, you simply need to know that 1 carb gram = 4 calories, 1 protein gram = 4 calories, and 1 fat gram = 9 calories. So here is what your meals/snacks should look like:

3 Meals:
    600 calories consisting of 75 carb grams, 38 grams of protein, and 16 grams of fat.
    2 Snacks:
    300 calories consisting of 38 carb grams, 19 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fat.

If you focus on these targets, you really won't have to count calories - as long as you count grams of carb, protein, and fat. It also ensures that you will be eating the right balance of the right foods.

Now, the only thing left to do is choose foods that fit into this plan. Using a calculator or a spreadsheet, start creating meal plans that meet this criteria. You may find that you need to have several different foods in a meal to accomplish this.

For example, for breakfast, you may need to eat 1 egg, 1/2 cup of LF cottage cheese, whole grain toast, and fruit. For lunch you might have a lean meat, raw or cooked veggies, whole grain bread. For dinner you might have broiled fish, brown rice or baked potato, veggies. You get the idea. You just need to determine portions that fit into your plan. Of course you want to avoid junk carbs, like white flour and sugar products and avoid poor quality fat. A small amount of saturated fat is acceptable, but you want to focus on polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.

If you want more specific suggestions, let me know. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by modert; 08-01-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Closed Thread