It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2004, 08:58 AM   #1
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Cool Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

Is it less Success, because you are eating more Vegetables and Fruit!! I would love your feedback, and what Book would have this info in it, love your feedback!! I Do eat fish!!

Last edited by candyapple7; 08-05-2004 at 09:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User
    Exclamation Re: Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

Yes, it can be done vegetarian, but it takes some planning and commitment.

You can find information on the Atkins Plan from the book by Dr. Atkins; Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #3
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
    Re: Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

sounds crazy to me... you should check out the south beach diet.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by candyapple7
    Is it less Success, because you are eating more Vegetables and Fruit!! I would love your feedback, and what Book would have this info in it, love your feedback!! I Do eat fish!!
    I do not see how it is possible to do Atkins as a vegan. The premise of Atkins is based on a diet of approximately 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carb. I challenge you to show me 1 vegan source of protein that fits into that model. Now if you are eating fish and cheese that is a different story, but still it will be tricky.

But then again, WHY do you want to do Atkins? There are much healthier and safer ways to lose weight.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

ALMOST impossible but I have known one or two who pulled it off for a while! It usually involves rather higher carb Atkins (near 100 grams carbs) with almost ALL of them from soy and soy proteins and pretty high fat eating . TOFU, TUFU, TOFU!

From my experience almost NOBODY on Atkins can get fat as low as 40%...70% is more the rule during the weight loss period (OWL).

If it can be managed, a miserable diet like the Atkins-vegan will lose weight fast but at such a price.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

40% fat is way too high. Your diet should be no more than 30% fat, only 10% of that saturated.

A friend of mine did Atkins for quite a while and now she's on cholesterol-lowering drugs because her numbers were through the roof.

I'm not saying everyone on Atkins will develop the same fate, but it's just not good for your heart and your arteries to be eating that much fat every day.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    I do not see how it is possible to do Atkins as a vegan. The premise of Atkins is based on a diet of approximately 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carb. I challenge you to show me 1 vegan source of protein that fits into that model.
    Atkins is actually 60-70% fat, 20-25% protein/ the rest carb at the outset. As you get closer to maintenance you increase the carbs and decrease the fat, slightly. Atkins is a high fat plan, not a high protein one as many people think (Erroneously)

While I realize that LC is not for everyone (just as low fat is not for everyone) making blanket statements w/out empirical evidence to support them is not giving good advice or support.

Remember, many years ago the world was flat, the earth was the centre of the universe and leaches were a common medical tool. In the last 2 years there have been a slew of emperical, double blind studies reported in such publications as The Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine showing that low carb diets (and these were VERY low carb) / high fat diets improved lipid profiles and allowed for greater fat loss with less lean muscle wasting than low fat diets.

I will spare you the personal anecdotes as I have many and while they are true they are not empirical.

Nat

Old 08-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Smile Re: Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

Quote:
    I do not see how it is possible to do Atkins as a vegan. The premise of Atkins is based on a diet of approximately 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carb. I challenge you to show me 1 vegan source of protein that fits into that model. Now if you are eating fish and cheese that is a different story, but still it will be tricky.

But then again, WHY do you want to do Atkins? There are much healthier and safer ways to lose weight.

I agree!!
    I wanted to hear feedback , because I am not a atkins fan , because it is to high in fat, and meat. But if has a healthy way, some helful hints could be added in my plan. I do eat fish and cheese, moderate amounts!!!

Last edited by candyapple7; 08-05-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #9
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gopherhead
    In the last 2 years there have been a slew of emperical, double blind studies showing that low carb diets (and these were VERY low carb) / high fat diets improved lipid profiles and allowed for greater fat loss with less lean muscle wasting than low fat diets.
    Here are a few summaries of the clinical trials mentioned above.

"Dietary Fat Is Not A Major Determinant of Body Fat," Willett, W.C., Leibel, R.L American Journal of Medicine, 113(9BS), 2002, pages 47S-59S.

The percentage of energy from fat in diets has been thought to be an important determinant of body fat, and several mechanisms have been proposed. Comparisons of diets and the prevalence of obesity between affluent and poor countries have been used to support this relationship, but these contrasts are seriously confounded by differences in physical activity and food availability. Within areas of similar economic development, regional intake of fat and prevalence of obesity have not been positively correlated. Randomized trials are the preferable method to evaluate the effect of dietary fat on adiposity and are feasible because the number of subjects needed is not large. In short-term trials, a modest reduction in body weight is typically seen in individuals randomized to diets with a lower percentage of calories from fat. However, compensatory mechanisms appear to operate, because in randomized trials lasting >or=1 year, fat consumption within the range of 18% to 40% of energy appears to have little if any effect on body fatness. The weighted mean difference was -0.25 kg overall and +1.8 kg (i.e., less weight loss on the low-fat diets) for trials with a control group that received a comparable intensity intervention. Moreover, within the United States, a substantial decline in the percentage of energy from fat during the last 2 decades has corresponded with a massive increase in the prevalence of obesity. Diets high in fat do not appear to be the primary cause of the high prevalence of excess body fat in our society, and reductions in fat will not be a solution.

Clinical Use of a Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet to Treat the Dyslipidemia of the Metabolic Syndrome," Hickey, J.T., Hickey, L., Yancy, W.S.J., et al., Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 227-232.

To explore the effects of a carbohydrate-restrictive diet on patients with harmful blood fat (lipid) changes, conducive to artery clogging, these investigators looked at the effects of a carbohydrate-restricted diet (less than 20 grams per day) on patients with this condition. Patients who were already on statins were included, providing there was no dosage change in their medications (65 percent of the patients).

…carbohydrate restriction led to 13 percent reduction in total cholesterol, 16 percent reduction in bad cholesterol (LDL), 38 percent reduction in triglycerides, 13 percent increase in good cholesterol (HDL) and an 82 percent reduction in small dense LDL, suggesting this may be an ideal treatment for this serious condition.

“A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Versus a Low-Fat Diet to Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia,” Yancy, W.S., Jr., Olsen, M.K., Guyton, J.R., et al., Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 769-777.

Study compared the effects of a low-fat/low-calorie diet with those of a low-carbohydrate “Atkins-style” program, looking specifically at weight loss and blood lipid levels (1).

After six months, 76 percent of the individuals in the low-carb group and 57 percent of those in the low-fat group were still participating in the research study. The former had lost an average of 26.4 pounds; the latter had lost an average of 14.3 pounds. In addition to losing almost twice as much weight as the low-fat group, the low-carb group demonstrated greater improvements in most blood lipids.

“The Effects of Low-Carbohydrate Versus Conventional Weight Loss Diets in Severely Obese Adults: One-Year Follow-up of a Randomized Trial” Stern, L., Iqbal, N., Seshadri, P., et al., ,” Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 778-785.

Study compared a low-fat/calorie-controlled diet with a low-carbohydrate one, looking specifically at weight loss and metabolic factors, including the participants’ lipid levels over a 12-month period

At one year, the average weight lost in the low-carb group was 11 pounds, while individuals in the low-fat group had lost an average of 8 pounds. Importantly, with regard to decreasing cardiovascular risks, those in the low-carb group had greater improvements in triglycerides and HDL (“good”) cholesterol than those in the low-fat group. (Triglycerides decreased and HDL increased.) Moreover, diabetics in the low-carb group had better control of their blood sugar levels than those in the low-fat group, as measured by hemoglobin A1C.

"A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus,” Yancy, W.S., Foy, M.E., Westman, E.C., Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19(1S), 2004, page 110.

The safety and effectiveness of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet (LCKD) on improving glycemic control was examined in patients with type 2 diabetes. Participants were counseled to follow Induction (less than 20 grams of carbohydrate per day) and proceed to On-Going Weight Loss (increasing carbohydrate as tolerated). After 16 weeks, the 19 men and women completing the study had significant improvements in glycemic control (HbA1c decreased 15%) and triglyceride levels, a significant weight loss of 7%, and improvements in fasting serum glucose. Diabetes medications were discontinued or reduced in 13 of the participants. Results indicate that type 2 diabetics may benefit from a LCKD, as body weight and triglycerides were reduced, and improved glycemic control enabled participants to use less medication. It is important to note that close medical supervision was provided to ensure medications were adjusted appropriately.

"Influence of a Modified Atkins Diet on Weight Loss and Glucose Metabolism in Obese Type 2 Diabetic Patients," Goldstein, T., Kark, J.D., Berry, E.M., et al., The Israel Medical Association Journal, 6, 2004, page 314.

Fifty-two volunteers were placed on either the Atkins diet without caloric restriction (25g for the initial 6 weeks and up to 40 grams for another 6 weeks) or a standard calorie restricted (1500 calories for men, 1200 calories for women) ADA diet (45% carbohydrates, 35% fat, 20% protein) for 3 months to compare the effects on weight loss glucose metabolism, and markers of cardiovascular disease risk and kidney function in obese type 2 diabetics. The average weight loss on Atkins was 10 pounds with a 1.3% drop in A1c vs. those who followed the ADA diet who lost an average of 8.8 pounds and lowered A1c by .9%. More participants were able to decrease medications while following the Atkins diet. There was a significant decrease in triglycerides by those who followed Atkins that did not occur in the ADA group. The authors concluded that there were no significant differences between the two dietary approaches for weight and blood sugar management but emphasized that results were slightly in favor of the Atkins diet. In addition, they noted there was no evidence of deleterious effects on heart or kidney function for those in either group.

“A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Versus a Low-Fat Diet to Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia,” Yancy, W.S., Jr., Olsen, M.K., Guyton, J.R., et al., Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 769-777.

Overweight adults with an elevated blood lipid profile who were instructed to follow a low carb diet (20g daily) lost significantly more weight than a group counseled to consume a low fat diet after 6 months. Significant improvements were seen in triglycerides and HDL cholesterol, in participants in the low carb group. Additionally, HDL was significantly more improved in the low carb group than the low fat group.

" One Year Effectiveness of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone Diets in Decreasing Body Weight and Heart Disease Risk," Dansinger, M.L., Gleason, J. L., Griffith, J.L., et al., Presented at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions November 12,2003 in Orlando, Florida.

160 overweight or obese men and women (mean body mass index 35 kg/m2) were recruited by advertising and were randomized to either a low carbohydrate (Atkins), a low fat (Ornish), a low glycemic load (Zone), or a calorie-restricted (Weight Watchers) dietary program. Participants were given the diet books and received 4 group classes over a 2 month period taught by the same doctor and dietition. The primary outcome variables were percent change in body weight and heart disease risk reduction based on the Framingham score using continuous variables.

All diets resulted in significant (p<0.05) weight loss from baseline and all but the Ornish diet (p=0.013) resulted in significant reductions in the Framingham risk score, with either analysis, with no significant difference between diets.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by candyapple7
    Atkins said it was very difficult to stick with a vegetarian version of his plan because the food choices are so limited. You would not be eating more vegetables and fruits than other people on Atkins. Fish would expand your choices.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #11
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gopherhead
    Atkins is actually 60-70% fat, 20-25% protein/ the rest carb at the outset.
    Okay, well here are some numbers. Tell me what these ratios look like:

Swordfish steak - 68% protein + 32% fat
    Deli Roast Beef - 75% protein + 25% fat
    Ruby Tuesday Sirloin Steak - 65% protein + 35% fat
    Ground Beef (80/20) - 40% protein + 60% fat
    Chicken breast (roasted with skin) - 75% protein + 25% fat
    Ham (not lean) - 40% protein + 60% fat
    Ham (lean) - 59% protein + 41 % fat

Most nuts - 15% protein + 75% fat + 10% carb
    Most full fat cheese - 25% protein + 75% fat

Unless you are doing Atkins by consuming strictly nuts and cheese or eating lard and drinking vegetable oil, I assure you, you WILL be consuming about 40-50% protein. Show me a menu where this is NOT the case. (note, I am referring to % of protein and fat calories to total calories).

Forget about high fat and low fat for a minute - nobody ever seems to address the fact that liver detoxification is the single most effective way to reduce blood cholesterol. Liver detoxification does not occur though "high fat" or "low fat" dieting. Whether or not you eat "carbs" is practically irrelevant - it is the quality of food (including carbs) that must be considered. If you eat junk carbs, there is a negative impact on your liver which effects the metabolism, which effects cholesterol and glucose levels, among other things. If you reduce or eliminate toxins from the diet, consume high quality carbs (grains, legumes, fruits, and veggies), increase hydration, restrict protein intake to 30% (or less), and restrict fat intake to 30% (or less), overall health will improve dramatically, cholesterol levels will drop, and weight loss will be practially effortless.

And amongst all the empirical studies that advocate the Atkins approach, there is plenty of evidence that although Atkins dieters lose weight faster, they are likely to regain 1/3 of their weight after 1 year, while low-fat and calorie-counting dieters lose their weight more slowly, but are more likely to keep it off.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #12
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    Show me a menu where this is NOT the case. (note, I am referring to % of protein and fat calories to total calories).
    How many would you like?
    August 9th
    Breakfast:
    2 oz chicken
    2 oz hard cheese
    small coffee w/ cream

snack:
    ˝ oz peanuts

Lunch:
    ˝ cup cottage cheese
    1/3 cup strawberries
    Celery & peanut butter

Snack:
    ˝ oz peanuts
    1oz hard cheese

Dinner:
    Marinated (pinch cumin, corriander, salt, pepper, garlic clove, 1 Tbs olive oil, splash lemon juice, splash white vinegar) Chicken (4oz) salad (made with ˝ stalk celery, 2 slices bacon, baby spinach, 1 Tbs flax oil, 1 Tbsp aoli mayonaise)
    1/3 cup cream cheese / whipping cream chocolate

Calories = 1428
    Fat = 110g / 70%
    Protein = 90g / 25%
    Carbs = 25g / 5%

August 16, 2001
    Breakfast:
    Omlette made w/ 2 eggs, 1 oz montery jack cheese and 3 strips bacon
    small coffee w/ heavy cream

snack:
    decaf coffee w/ cream
    HB egg

Lunch:
    Ceasar salad with 1 strip bacon 2 oz chicken

snack:
    celery w/ peanut butter (crunchy)

Dinner:
    6 oz bbq chicken
    1/2 cup romaine
    1/2 cup raw spinach w/ 1 tbsp flax and 2 tbs dijon vinagrette
    5 medium chicken wings
    1/3 cup cream cheese/whipping cream/cocoa combo

calories = 1931
    fat = 145 g / 69%
    carbs = 18 g / 3%
    protein = 136 g/ 29%

September 22nd

breakfast
    2 egg omelette
    5 strips bacon
    2 cups coffee w/ whipping cream

lunch
    burger sans bun (4oz)
    1oz peanuts

dinner
    1 cup broccoli
    1 cup romaine w/ 1/2 tomato and slice onion
    roasted red pepper dressing
    5 oz butter chicken (recipe to come!)

snack
    1 oz peanuts
    1 oz cheese

calories = 1964
    fat = 152g/72%
    carbs = 39g/5%
    fiber = 13g
    protein = 116g/24%

I have over 3 years worth of menus; I've been keeping track since day one.

You don't eat chicken breast by itself. You don't bbq a sirloin and eat that on a plate. You eat veggies and you put butter on them. You use flax oil and olive oil as a salad dressing on a baby spinach salad. This is all explained when you sit down and read the book.

Actually the statistic is 95% of all dieters fail to keep the weight off - there is no distinction made between the type of eating that is followed. If you'd like I have a few emperical studies demonstrating that people following a Low Carb diet exhibit a greater likelihood of adhering to their plan and consequently keeping the fat off.

If you scroll up to my inital post you'll see my point was this; everything doesn't work for everyone, but if you're going to make blanket statements about what is and what isn't it behooves you to have your facts straight, especially when dispensing advice on a support forum.

Peace,
    Nat

Old 08-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #13
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

Nat ,thanks I am a vegetarian , and this will help me out a lot!! feel free to post your menus on this site at any time!!

Old 08-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #14
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Nat, I'll give you credit - your menus are not bad for Atkins. I have reviewed MANY Atkins menus and they typically do not look like this. Most people are eating A LOT more protein, A LOT more cholesterol, and A LOT more calories.

I am curious what your success has been like. How much have you lost, are you on maintenance now, and how is your cholesterol? I am also curious if you plan to live on this forever, and if not, what you plan to do next.

I have read the Atkins book and I am quite familiar with most of the studies. But I still believe that this diet fails most people and do not view it as a safe alternative for most people.

Just an FYI - my LDL and trigs dropped in half and my HDL increased by 50% in just 4 months on a liver detox plan (which does include 45-50% carbs including starches). I would venture to guess that if your's have also dropped its more likely due to the fact that you have eliminated toxins from your diet, not less likely due to increased fat consumption.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #15
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User
    Smile Re: Can you follow the Atkins plan as a Vegetarian, Anybody doing it!!!/Any Success!!

Quote:
    Just an FYI - my LDL and trigs dropped in half and my HDL increased by 50% in just 4 months on a liver detox plan (which does include 45-50% carbs including starches). I would venture to guess that if your's have also dropped its more likely due to the fact that you have eliminated toxins from your diet, not less likely due to increased fat consumption.
    Fantastic results, jdimassimo! I cannot lay claim to similar results, however. I have eaten the Susan Powter, ultra low fat way, the 'I'm not caring anymore way", LC (with ratios as posted above) and 40/40/20 (traditional weight lifting ratios, i.e. p/c/f) - and my cholesterol levels haven't changed much in over 10 years. Normal total CHO, upper normal LDL. My triglycerides have come down and my HDL is slowing moving up. This is where I am genetically programmed to be, they say.

Quote:
    Nat, I'll give you credit - your menus are not bad for Atkins. I have reviewed MANY Atkins menus and they typically do not look like this. Most people are eating A LOT more protein, A LOT more cholesterol, and A LOT more calories.
    Thanks To my credit I learned how to do it right. I read and I researched and I found others doing it this way; The biggest downfal with people doing "Atkins", IMHO, is they don't understand the science behind the diet. My menus are a little light on veggies, frankly. Those are from my first months. And don't get me started on cholesterol! The misinformation floating around out there is appaling.

My results - the bulk of which are due to LC include - normal BP (finally - no matter what size I was in the past I always had borderline high bp, now it's almost 'too low'), no more PMS or insomnia, normal cholesterol (always has been), no more reactive hypoglyceamia and 60 of the 80 lbs total lost.

I am now eating 40/40/20 (p/c/f) and following a plan put together by a personal trainer, doing cardio 5x a week and lifting (heavy and hard) 3x a week. I have about 20 lbs to lose. I started all this back in 2001. BTW, I lifted and did HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) from day 1.

Change is slow, but it's happening. 3 years ago no one knew what carb restriction meant; today it's featured on the menu at Mikey Dees (so not all change is good )

Low Carb taught me about nutrition - I learned about good carbs and bad carbs, that the only truly bad fat is a trans fat, that eating whole natural foods makes me feel better, that I'm better off cooking with bacon grease than canola oil! I also learned to listen to my body and not what a group of politicians and lobbiest dreamt up all those years ago behind closed doors. Did you know that the AMA actually opposed the "Dietary Goals for the United States" as did the most prominent scientists in the field at that time?

I can point you in the direction of some information showing how increased fat either lowers cholesterol or has little impact on it if you're interested - and how the whole notion that eating cholesterol contributes to higher cholesterol (and avoiding it does anything beneficial) has never been proven (and how the biggest studies that set out to prove it did proved the opposite).

Cheers,
    Nat

Closed Thread