It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• counting calories-results too slow?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
    leen

leen HB User
    counting calories-results too slow?

I recently decided to lose weight by eating 1870 calories/day or less. I got this number from some BMR formula taking into account height, age, weight, and exercise. I used an ideal weight in the formula, assuming this means i am eating the amount of calories to support myself at that ideal weight. However the pounds have been very slow to shed and I was wondering if this is maybe not a good weight loss plan..like maybe I should reduce the calories much more and then once i reach the ideal weight, eat 1870 calories per day. I'd like to lose weight a lot faster, but I want to do it healthily. What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
    redmug100

redmug100 HB User
    Re: counting calories-results too slow?

The maximum safe weight loss (after the first two weeks) is 3-4 ponds a week for men and 2-3 ponds a week for women. Any mlre than this without some sort of endurance excercise would mean that you are losing lean body mass rather than fat. Minimum calorie intake is about 1500 for men and 1200 for women.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
    leen

leen HB User

I am in the first 2 weeks of my plan, and i haven't lost more than 1-2 pounds/week. since you said 2-3 is the max AFTER the first 2 weeks--is this still acceptable? i have lowered my calorie intake to between 1000-1500/day, and still it's not coming off faster.

Old 08-21-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leen
    I am in the first 2 weeks of my plan, and i haven't lost more than 1-2 pounds/week. since you said 2-3 is the max AFTER the first 2 weeks--is this still acceptable? i have lowered my calorie intake to between 1000-1500/day, and still it's not coming off faster.
    First of all, you've only been doing this for 2 weeks. You have to give yourself time.

Secondly, 1-2 pounds per week is what you should be losing, you're doing fine.

Third, 1000 calories is WAY too low.

You're expecting miracles too soon and it's just not going to happen.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:39 AM   #5
    dohcvteco89

dohcvteco89 HB User
    Smile Re: counting calories-results too slow?

im 15.. 2-3 yrs ago i went on a calorie counting diet.. basicaly started with drinkin diet soda (wow that works wonders if u an excessive soda drinker).. anyway i was doing like 1500 calories n i weighed lk 165-170 and i was lk 4'10 or 4'11.. sometimes i would only take in lk a 1,000 here and there but i felt good, i ate healthy, fruits, lean cuisines, i did research on the internet for estimated calories of fruits and stuff, and of course i cheated every now and again, its for the better, i also expanded my time from eating and going to sleep (big help, and helped me feel better when wakin up).. anyway 7 or 8 months later i weighed 113 lbs, i felt and looked better than ever with a bunch of loose skin on my stomach but i was skinny and for months and months people complimented me, it was great.. this post wasn't to share my story just to let u know that calorie counting is a great form of dieting in my opinion and all those carb diet things and so forth are just lk calorie countin.. u get calories from carbs, fats, sugars, and protein in products, lower carbs usualy means the more fat or sugar the product has in it.. keep up the calorie countin, you will deff benefit.. oh and today i am 5'3-5'4 and i weigh 124 lbs.. good luck.. lol and 1 thing you'll deff learn is that when the weight starts goin down fast its gonna stay that way for a good amount of time and then just automaticaly slow down or may even stop.. this is becuz ur body has found a good place it wants to be and feels comfortable with.. good luck!!!

Last edited by dohcvteco89; 08-22-2004 at 05:41 AM.

Old 08-22-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
    Yunakitty

Yunakitty HB User

It all depends on how much you weighed to start with. If you weighed a lot, the weight can come off faster. If you're not very overweight to begin with, then it comes off slower. This is because you have to burn 3500 more calories than you consume to lose 1 lb (not counting water weight, which can fluctuate up and down a pound or two a day.) Now see, if you are 200 lbs, with a sedentary lifestyle, your body uses 2700 calories a day just to work. It's easy to shave calories consumed, and add calories burned to that. You can go on a 1700 calorie diet (which by the way is the lowest recommended by health professionals, lower than that and your body will go into starvation mode!!), and add 500 calories a day of activity (1/2 hour of walking, an hour of swimming, and some weight training.), and you'll be dropping about a 1/2 lb a day, which is 3-4 lbs a week!

But, if you're not very overweight to begin with, it gets a lot harder. I am 5'1", 120 lbs. I have 10lbs of ugly fat hanging for dear life on my hips and belly. I know this because a year ago, before my life became very stressful (that year of stress is over by the way, I quit teaching and got a much less stressful job) I was a trim comfortable 110 and I fit easily into my size 4's. I now am "very aware" of the waist bands on my new size 6's and I don't like it one bit. I know a lot of people would say, "quit whining, I only WISH I was a size 6" - I know people say that because my husband's overweight family says it to me all the time if I mention working out or eating healthy. But this is about prevention. I want to get control on it know while I'm still young (I'm 23) before I wake up at 30 and I'm 160 lbs. ( I actually used to be 100 and a size 1 or 0, but that was when I was 19 and smoked and I don't ever expect to be that again!)

Anyway, according to some calorie calculators I burn 1700 calories, some say 2000. I'm going by 2000 now because I use ******, a food and exercise calculator program. I have been counting calories with ****** since mid July. At one point I had lost 4 lbs, but now I am back up to only 2 lbs lost. I was trying to lose 12 lbs by Oct 31st. It becomes a lot harder to shave calories when there's that little of a margin between what you burn normally and "starvation mode." I think I put myself in starvation mode at one point and that sucks. You're always just a smidge hungry with that "hungry headache" but the scale never budges because your body is holding onto its stores for dear life! (By the way, I do eat a healthy balanced diet - I eat a lot of whole foods, like fruits, vegetables, soy (my hubby's a vegetarian), whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.) So what I'm trying to do know is burn 500 more calories than I consume a day. That should translate into 1 lb a week lost. I eat about 1800 calories a day, in small portions 5 or 6 times a day, and I burn about 2300. I swim, do pilates, yoga, and weight training. Hopefully the calculators are right on ******. It would suck to be doing all this work and find out I was misentering something and I was actually eating more than I burned! That's what I feared this last week or so when my weight was back up to 121 or 122 (I got to 118 in the 2nd week of my diet, held steady, and then those lbs just appeared out of nowhere!) I do take one day a week as a "holiday". (I read this in a magazine that it's good to eat normally one day a week to let your body know you're not in starvation mode.) It's usually Sunday when I eat dinner with my dad. We'll go out to a restaurant sometimes, and while I don't stuff my face with cheese fries, I do eat a little more liberally - I've come home and entered it into ****** and it was 2200 calories of food. So even though I don't lose weight that day, I still shouldn't be gaining either.

I'm recommitted to the diet now (not that I was ever "uncommitted", I just doubted it a lot in my mind and was beating myself up.) I believe that I can get back down to my normal weight, fit back into my clothes, and just feel good.

Sorry to go on and on! Anyway, just stick to it, and remember that it if comes off fast, great, but if it comes off slow - look on the bright side - the slower it comes off the less saggy skin you'll have at goal, and you'll be more likely to keep the weight off if it comes off slow.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:39 AM   #7
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yunakitty
    You can go on a 1700 calorie diet (which by the way is the lowest recommended by health professionals, lower than that and your body will go into starvation mode!!)
    No, the lowest is 1200. Many people are put on 1500 calorie diets by their doctors and some of us, like myself, use the 1500 calorie limit as well. Your body will NOT go into starvation mode at 1500 calories.

But everyone is different. Some people require more calories than others. I stay at or below 1500 calories and I lose about 10 pounds per month.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
    leen

leen HB User

If I weigh about 170-175 lbs and am eating 1000 calories a day, why will my body go into starvation mode? I don't know much about this, but it seems to me my body should have plenty of built up calories to burn in addition to the food i eat each day. Also, since its summer, I'm basically getting no exercise. I will be getting a lot more in a week or school when I move into college, so I plan to up my calories then. but for now, do you think my body has already gone into starvation mode since i've been doing about 1000 calories/day since my first post?

Old 08-23-2004, 05:12 AM   #9
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User

try between 1000-1500 calories, also fat intake no more than 30 fat calories/ and 30gr a day . low carb , two snacks , fruit or something less than 100 calories. My plan is a vegetarian by choice , I do eat fish, not much seafood but shrimp!

Old 08-23-2004, 05:13 AM   #10
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Smile Re: counting calories-results too slow?

Try between 1000-1500 calories, also fat intake no more than 30 fat calories/ and 30gr a day . low carb , two snacks , fruit or something less than 100 calories. My plan is a vegetarian by choice , I do eat fish, not much seafood but shrimp!

Closed Thread