It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Cinema popcorn

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
    Saint_Jo

Saint_Jo HB User
    Cinema popcorn

Im going to the cinema later tonight and i was looking forward to having some popcorn.
    The smallest size my cinema sells is about 200-250 grams. I like the sweetened stuff and was just wondering if anyone knew how many calories this size would contain.
    An estimate would be great

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User
    Re: Cinema popcorn

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Devil_Saint_Jo
    Im going to the cinema later tonight and i was looking forward to having some popcorn.
    A few years ago, the researchers at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington nutritional watchdog group, analyzed what's in movie popcorn. They found that even without butter, a large order has more than a day's worth of fat and two days' worth of artery-clogging saturated fat. If you add butter, you'll be consuming the fat equivalent of eight Big Macs!

You can read all about it from their report - it's off an org site so I assume it's safe to post a link. A snippet: "the smallest servings we found (a kid-size at Cineplex Odeon or a small bag at AMC) contain 20 grams of fat, 14 of them saturated... Thatís close to three-quarters of your sat fat limit for an entire day."

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/popcorn.html

Nat

Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 AM   #3
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Cinema popcorn is the worst, I never touch the stuff. You're probably better off getting a candy bar!

Too bad we can't take our own popcorn in.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
    sweet_chic
    (female)

sweet_chic HB Usersweet_chic HB User

Or, you can do what I do...which is pop your own pocorn at home and bring it in yourself. That's what I do. It's healthy, and you can judge how much you eat and WHAT you're eating. Why should we (those who are trying desperately trying to eat "healthily") be denied food at the movie theater simply because we're not "allowed" to bring our own food in?? What if you really can't eat what they have at the cinema (maybe because of food allergies, sickness, or an intolerance to certain foods)....are we just supposed to sit there and NOT eat during a movie while everyone else is chomping away?

I look at it that way, and when I do...I don't feel bad at all for bringing my own popcorn and water in. The movie theater staff don't even give it a second thought in my area. The popcorn I pop at home is not only healthier, but it's also cheaper. Besides, food prices here (even TICKET prices) at the cinema in my area have gotten so ridiculously HIGH that I don't even bother anymore most of the time. Sometimes I'll buy the food there, but most times I just bring my OWN bottled water. Come on now...4 bucks for a little bottle of water?? That's ludicrous!! hahaha...

Closed Thread