It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• The Negative Calorie Diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2004, 05:53 AM   #1
    MuffyMuffinC

MuffyMuffinC HB User
    The Negative Calorie Diet

Has anyone tried this? Does it actually work? I am a raw-vegan, so I would have no problem sticking to this diet. But, is it actually possible that certain vegetables and fruits can actually cause you to burn more calories than you actually cosume? Also, how much can you lose on this diet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 06:39 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: The Negative Calorie Diet

Short answer:
    There's no such thing outside the fantasy world of the diet books!

Last edited by zip2play; 09-25-2004 at 06:40 AM.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
    FMY
    (female)

FMY HB User

The only things that I know of that consume more calories from simply eating them would be celery, lettuce, diet-calorie free drinks, water and sugar free jello- but you can't live off of these. You would be nutritionally deprived.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
    Humrz28
    (female)

Humrz28 HB User

There are actually lots of negative calorie foods. Mainly fruits and vegetables. Heres a list of them that I have found:

Vegetables
    asparagus, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chicory, chili peppers, cucumbers, endive, garlic, lettuce, onions, spinach, turnip, zucchini

Fruits

papayas, apples, cranberries, grapefruit, lemons mangos, oranges, pineapples, raspberries, strawberries, tangerines

Old 09-28-2004, 07:51 AM   #5
    Blue2U

Blue2U HB User

Negative Calories is not a myth in books ......maybe the wording is what confuses you.

Negative calories simply means those foods that take more energy to digest than you are getting in eating them. Since it's taking more energy you are burning more calories than you've taken in.

Even being vegan you don't want a strictly negative calorie diet .....you need protein for your muscles.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #6
    MuffyMuffinC

MuffyMuffinC HB User

The only reason there is lots of protein in animal products and animal meat, is because animals mainly consume greens and plants, which contain protein and when we eat them, the proteins transfer, so I really do not think that there is anything wrong with once in a while eating a negative calorie diet. Spinach has a lot of protein in it.

Has anyone actually tried this diet? (please don't respond if you had no will power and just ate whatever you wanted and didn't really follow, to say that it does not work) How much did you lose? and in how much time? I would definitely have to say that eating vegan so far, has helped my health so much better than when I ate SAD (Standard American Diet) with meat and animal products. So I don't think that being on the Negative Calorie Diet can be detrimental to your health, all you really need to do is take a good vitamin, and supplement, supplement, supplement!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:50 AM   #7
    Blue2U

Blue2U HB User

I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with being vegan, many of my friends are. I was merely saying you would need to be sure you were getting alot of protein so you didn't start losing muscle, then you'd just be a "skinny fat person" ......if that makes sense.

You'd have to eat alot of spinach in order to get the amount of protein needed using the negative calorie aspect, being vegan or not.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:18 PM   #8
    MuffyMuffinC

MuffyMuffinC HB User

Has anyone actually tried this diet?

Old 09-30-2004, 05:19 AM   #9
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: The Negative Calorie Diet

Hi Muffy,I always wanted to know about being just a Raw vegan, some actors I know of are on this plan , are any books out their on this, also what is a typical day like for you. I am a semi-Vegetarian, and I am seeking the best vegetarian plan , I don't eat red meat, pork, seafood very little fish. Please give me some advice on the raw vegan plan, I still eat moderate amounts of Chicken. One while I was off of chicken, started back, I am not a meat eater , not because of the real cause of not eating meat. I would love some feedback from you, Like a typical Breakfast, lunch,dinner, and do you take b-12, I continue to eat chicken because of the protein, but maybe you can give me some more pointers :Also Why are you a raw vegan.
    It is a guy once I saw on tv who has a book on raw vegan diet, do you know who I am talking about. love to hear from you!

Old 09-30-2004, 05:22 AM   #10
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Cool Re: The Negative Calorie Diet

Why do they call it the negative, the negative foods you listed are these the ones you eat.

Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 AM   #11
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: The Negative Calorie Diet

BY the way Muffy , how do you get your protein I like protein whey shakes, so I Could get my protein from that , what about you.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #12
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Yep, the best "Negative Calorie Diet" is the following:

Well meaning friend: "Would you like a nice piece of cake"
    You: "NEGATIVE!"

Guaranteed to work evvery time.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #13
    candyapple7

candyapple7 HB User

[QUOTE=zip2play]Yep, the best "Negative Calorie Diet" is the following:

Well meaning friend: "Would you like a nice piece of cake"
    You: "NEGATIVE!"
    but if it is sugar free, Positive!!

Old 09-30-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
    MuffyMuffinC

MuffyMuffinC HB User

I just recently became a raw-vegan so I'm not really an expert yet, but there have been so many websites I have been looking at. If you just do a search on google, you can find so much information. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for almost 2 years before I decided to become a raw-vegan. I became a vegetarian for the animal's sake, but then I recently became a raw-vegan because I wanted to do it for my health. I heard so many good things about this "lifestyle" (I wouldn't call it a diet, because it's basically a life altering experience).

Well the first two weeks were not all that bad, but then I relapsed and started eating all of the bad foods again! I felt sooooooo much better when I was on high raw (almost 100%), but I am going to start it up again tomorrow. I am one who doesn't really like a lot of vegetables, but if you have a juicer, you will succeed greatly! I really don't like tomatoes, but I make a concoction of many vegetables combined into one juice drink, (it really doesn't taste all that great, but I would rather drink it than become deficient). I also supplement my diet with two tablespoons of flaxseed oil (cold compressed only - on a raw diet). I know I should take those 2 tablespoons every day, but it is really hard because it tastes really bad, but it is really good for your skin and your brain, since it contains omega-3 fatty acids, and also high in anti-lignans, to prevent cancer. I heard that you can get your b-12 vitamins from seaweed...and I recently had a Nori Wrap (kind of like sushi, except without the raw fish, and with vegetables) and it was phenomenal. I also take an organic children's vitamin (even though I'm 16) which contains b-12 vitamins, and I take 2 tablets a day.

I really don't have that much time for breakfast, so I really don't eat much, sometimes I have a bananna or an apple, but usually I just take a vitamin and drink lots of water before I go to school. Then for lunch I usually have baby carrots (enhanced, and organic from Whole Foods Market) and some cucumbers that I got from Dominick's (organic is much better, but there was a sale...lol) and I always drink lots of water. Then for dinner, I would have some entree's that I got from a raw-vegan restaurant, or I would have a juice drink, or I would have an apple or any kind of fruit I wanted. I prefer fruit to vegetables, and usually just have the vegetables in my juice drink.

Sometimes my body would ache alot, probably because I wasn't eating as much as I used to and because my body was detoxing, so I would have a bowl of organic wheat cereal and Silk Soy Milk Enhanced (I know this isn't raw). I would get tired alot, but after awhile of being on the diet, you tend to need less sleep, but feel completely rested at the same time. I am definitely really needing to go back on a raw diet.

The major benefits were that I was feeling really great and I was losing a lot of weight, without much exercise (except for in gym class). I would probably say that I was losing about .5-1 pound a day. and even when I relapsed and ate a ton of junk food...I even lost a pound the next day. I felt less bloated, and I could fit into some of my old clothes.

I would definitely recommend getting a juicer, because it helps alot, especially with the transition. I hope I have been of some help. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #15
    MuffyMuffinC

MuffyMuffinC HB User

Oh, by the way, you can get protein in almost any vegetable you eat...especially in spinach. You really don't need that much protein. Most people on the Atkin's diet will probably go into ketosis. Everything is good in moderation. So don't really be worried about the protein. Just vary your vegetable choices and fruit choices, because if you don't you could become deficient in certain vitamins, and try to shop around for a good vitamin supplement. I wish you the best!

Closed Thread