It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Giving up Cola

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
    rnblombardo
    (female)

rnblombardo HB User
    Giving up Cola

Really want to lose 20 lbs and know I need to eat properly and with smaller portions. My problem is that I drink Coke all day long (there's a fountain free to employees) and then drink Pepsi when I get home. Have tried many times but just haven't been able to give it up. Any tips for kicking the cola habit? By the way I'm not young - 63 yrs! Thanks for any help!
    Bonnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
    Kaihila
    (female)

Kaihila HB User
    Re: Giving up Cola

Hey there,

I used to be a soda addict. I had to come to realize that these "empty" calories were keeping me from losing weight. Did you know the amount of calories in a 20oz. soda is equal to a serving of pasta with marinara sauce! When I found that out, I switched to Diet Coke. Which is a much better alternative! But, I only drink it twice a week or so. I hope you can make the "switch". And since then...whenever I take a sip of my husband's regular soda..it just seems super-sweet. I don't like it. I've lost 4 since then with diet and exercise. I think the best way to kick the habit is too really visualize a plate of saucy pasta when you see coke~! LOL..best of luck to you and I hope I've helped in some way.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
    joe28paws
    Inactive

joe28paws HB User
    Arrow Re: Giving up Cola

The best thing to do is not even drink any kind of cola at all, regular cola has too many calories and sugars, did you know that our kidneys were not designed to break down sugar? And even diet cola is not even good because of the sweetners that they do put in it can cause alot of intestinal problems.

I have switched to the Light Lemonade by coke, there is only 5 calories to the whole can.

I have been watching my weight and exercising since June and have lost 30 pounds. I feel alot better and I still have about another 30 lbs to go.

This is coming from a person who drank 6 cans of cola a day.

And another thing, I am sleeping much better also, by cutting the caffiene out of my diet totally, caffiene is a drug to stimulate you, you don't need the caffiene and if you do, eat a small sugar free chocolate bar to hold you over.

JC

Old 01-14-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bonnie, Is that a day full of REGULAR SUGARY cola or DIET cola? I think there's a world of difference nutritionally and MORE than a world of difference if you are looking for weight loss.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
    pcantona
    Veteran
    (male)

pcantona HB User

Stopping drinking sodas that has sugar in it is one of the easiet ways to cut out calories in your diet. Basically you can drink and drink coke with sugar in it all day and it wont fill you up. Each can is 200-250 calories each. That equals a 35 minute aerobic exercise session with each can of soda. Buy bottled water and loose weight.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User

Pepsi Maxi tastes pretty good. But what would be even better, drink water and tea ALL DAY LONG.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
    ~Summer~
    (female)

~Summer~ HB User

I would try switching to diet pop, and then trying to make a switch to just water. Trust me, I used to have the same problem, I would drink anywhere from 1-2, 2 liters of regular cola a day! I switched to diet & lost a lot of weight because of it...I know diet can taste gross at first, but trust me, after about a month of drinking just diet drinks- you won't even taste the difference, it will taste just like regular - and if you do try a sip of regular, it will taste WAY too sweet & sugary...take it from an expert, I used to be a "pop aholic"! I've been on the diet pop for about a year now & I am slowly transitioning to just water...trying to drink only 2 diet colas a day, and getting the rest of my liquids from water only. Hopefully, by the end of the next 6 months, I'll only be drinking water, and water only. It's a tough habit to break, so try to just take small steps, make them gradual changes- that way it's not as difficult.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
    monacks

monacks HB User

I used to drink loads of regular Coke too. I still drink Diet Coke, because I need the caffeine and I don't drink coffee. BUT, I limit myself to 1 can or glass per day. The aftificial sweetners can work against weight loss. I drink Faygo sparkling water now, when I feel like a pop. There are no calories and no artificial sweetners and it bubbles like pop. They even have different flavors. Sometimes I add a lemon wedge and put ice in my glass and I don't even miss the pop.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
    Yekcoh4
    (female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

About 3 years ago, I lost 15 lbs in less than a year, and I wasn't even dieting, no exercise, still eating a fair amount of crap I know 15 lbs in a year isnt alot, but I dont weigh much to begin with, maybe 135 at the time and I wasnt even trying!! The only thing I changed was switching from regular to diet soda. Pretty amazing. Now I just drink water but the diet soda made a HUGE difference. If I drank 4 sodas a day (sometimes more), averaging 120 calories EACH, thats 480 calories a day!! Thats almost 175,000 calories a YEAR automatically cut out of my diet!!

Old 01-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
    KristaB

KristaB HB User

I can totally relate to you! I'm 30 and was basically raised on Pepsi. My entire (thin!) family still drinks gallons of the stuff; it's what was served with every meal. Two months ago, I decided to kick the habit for good. I've tried diet sodas many times over the years and could not stand the taste. Then I tried Diet Snapple--I found my soda substitute! To me, it tastes just like regular Snapple (but has ZERO calories!) and doesn't have that gross aftertaste like diet sodas do. Plus, it comes in lots of different flavors so I don't get bored. I lost ten pounds in one month just by not drinking regular soda. Ideally, you should drink more water but I know that's so hard to do. I would suggest giving Diet Snapple and as many other diet drinks as you see in the stores a try. You many find one you like. Good luck!!

Old 01-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #11
    Herd_Fan

Herd_Fan HB User

Hey RN,

I made a post before about this and I'll make it again because it has been my diet saviour. If you like Root Beer, pick up a 2 liter of A&W Diet Root Beer. It doesn't taste exactly the same but it is a whole lot closer to the original than diet coke is to coke. And after drinking it for a month, it actually tastes normal to me ... I don't even notice it's diet anymore. About a month and a half ago, I honestly was drinking a 2 liter of Coke a day! Now that's an addict! So I feel your pain. My suggestion to you is to keep experimenting with sugar free and diet sodas. I found the one for me in diet root beer. I also drink a lot of sugar free kool-aid, light lemonade and crystal light. Just keep trying them until you find one you like. Everytime you go to the store, buy a few 2 liters that are on sale. That way, if you don't like them, you still didn't spend full price. There's got to be one you will like. If you like fruity stuff, try diet rite's falvored sodas. Colas? Try the root beer or all the brands of diet soda. They do taste different from each other. And here's something I discovered the other day. Fountain diet drinks usually are a little more tolerable than the ones you buy in a can or bottle. Just keep experimenting! Good luck to you!

Old 01-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
    jmkuhn
    (female)

jmkuhn HB User

Well I think thats one of those self determination thingys...I used to drink coke all day long...I switched to diet colas...although I hated them dearly...but have grown to love them..I cant stand regular coke anymore...and after that I gave water a whirl..and what do you know..i like water better than diet coke..but sometimes u just need something else besides a plain taste...so i guess I trained myself..:/

Old 01-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
    BlackOctober
    (female)

BlackOctober HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pcantona
    Stopping drinking sodas that has sugar in it is one of the easiet ways to cut out calories in your diet. Basically you can drink and drink coke with sugar in it all day and it wont fill you up. Each can is 200-250 calories each. That equals a 35 minute aerobic exercise session with each can of soda. Buy bottled water and loose weight.

Actually a can which is 12 oz. has 140 calories. Unless you were referring to a bottle which is usually 20 oz or 24 oz.

Closed Thread