It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Diet Soda and Weight Loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
    brylax23
    (male)

brylax23 HB User
    Diet Soda and Weight Loss

Is Diet Soda good for trying to lose weight. some people say it makes you gain weight if you drink to much yadda yadda..i do drink it sometimes so im wondering if there is any truth to that..ty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
    washee

washee HB User
    Re: Diet Soda and Weight Loss

In answer to your question.....YES and NO. Diet soda contains tons of salt, which in tern causes you to retain water which might show up as a weight gain or more so no weight loss.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

I don't think the high sodium content of sodas is an issue anymore; it has been reduced down to minute amounts per 12 oz. My can of diet soda has about 40x less sodium than a 19 oz can of soup (40 mg vs. 1600 mg). I fall far short of drinking 40 cans of the stuff though...

Old 01-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
    washee

washee HB User

Hmmmmmm I don't know where you are buying your pop from?????

Old 01-31-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by washee
    Hmmmmmm I don't know where you are buying your pop from?????
    In that case, I was drinking a diet vanilla pepsi while readiing the forums last night

I like variety, so this morning I am having a diet mountain dew code red--also has 40 mg sodium.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

PepsiONE is my vote for favorite diet soda...(45 mg. sodium per can, not much different from tap water.)
    YUMMY.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
    d_j
    (female)

d_j HB User

I am addicted to diet sodas and I am trying to stop. I have heard that because there is caffeine in some that it makes it more difficult to lose weight in the long run. I know that when I don't drink any that I am better off, just like the caffeine (unfortunately).

Old 02-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
    tryingtolose22

tryingtolose22 HB User

if you don't want to worry about sodium, get Diet Rite. it's caffiene, sugar, and sodium free

Old 02-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
    Dream0n83
    Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User

I too stick to water usually, but have since been having diet soda to fit my cravings from time to time. Sierra mist free is great cant tell its diet! But I havent noticed any weight loss since i always drink water anyway?!

Old 02-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
    Tootsie Roll
    (female)

Tootsie Roll HB User

Hi,
    Have any of you tried "Polar" brand diet soda? It's good and usually has no sodium or caffiene...I love the Root Beer:+)
    Nancy~

Old 02-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #11
    angelkisses81
    (female)

angelkisses81 HB User

Well there are different ways to answer your question, do you drink a lot of soda already? if so, then yes switching to diet will help. When my mom switched to diet (she drank a lot soda anyway) she lost 15 pounds just from switching her pop (over the course of one year) she didn't diet, she didn't exercise, she just cut that one aspect of sugar out of her life and dropped 15 pounds. HOWEVER if you don't drink a lot of soda already, then starting to drink diet soda would not be good, soda is not good for you period, whether it is diet, free, whatever. My suggestion if you are an avid soda drinker, switch to diet, then switch to crystal light, you can get the little packets to put in a 20 oz water bottle, gradually use less of the mix until you are drinking water all the time, or just switch to water period. My cousin found at a pharmacy a container that showed in exact measurement how much water a person should drink a day, she fills it up at night & puts it in her fridge & makes sure she drinks it all during the day, its a great way to get those 8 glasses of water a day, and it will eliminate wanting so much soda and other drinks. And will help you lose weight and be a healthier person.

angelkisses

Old 03-03-2005, 07:13 AM   #12
    millpark26
    Veteran
    (male)

millpark26 HB User

The American Cancer Society has confirmed through study that users of artificial sweeteners gain more weight than those who don't use the products, further undermining the supposed "purpose" for the existence of aspartame in food. The major selling point of aspartame is as a diet aid, and it has been demonstrated that the use of this product actually causes people to consume more food. Normally, when a significant quantity of carbohydrate are consumed, serotonin levels rise in the brain. This is manifested as a relaxed feeling after a meal. When aspartame is ingested with carbohydrates, such as having a sandwich with a diet drink, aspartame causes the brain to cease production of serotonin, meaning that the feeling of having had enough never materializes. You then eat more foods, many containing aspartame, and the cycle continues.

Closed Thread