It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• *SOB!* Help me! My spare tire is growing!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
    wheatwife
    (female)

wheatwife HB User
    *SOB!* Help me! My spare tire is growing!

I have always stayed slim, and have had to work at it. Since I've turned 40, none of my normal tactics are working! I've been 10# over what I usually am for over a year now, and I cannot get it to come off. I've gone on a stricter diet, and continue to exercise, even adding to the intensity. My weight just sits there, the same. Help! I can't fit into my jeans anymore. ALL the weight is in the middle... hips and thighs. Any suggestions you have will help. I need to lose this 10# in two months before our vacation!

Oh, and if it helps, I started on Cymbalta (antidepressant) in January, and Seasonal (Birth control pills) 5 weeks ago. BOTH of these drugs are supposed to be neutral weight drugs... meaning they don't cause weight loss or gain. You think it makes a difference?

Thanks again for your help!

Billie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
    DonutsNCoffee
    Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
    Re: *SOB!* Help me! My spare tire is growing!

Can you describe your current diet and exercise routine?

Old 04-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
    maw05
    (male)

maw05 HB User

and height and weight

Old 04-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
    Annee

Annee HB User

My goodness, your post could have been mine a few years ago! There are two reasons why women gain weight around the middle in our forties.

First, we lose muscle mass rather rapidly during this time, which causes us to gain fat all over. You (we!) must do weight training exercise as well as aerobic. Work the top half of your body one day, and the other half, the next. Muscles take about two days to heal, so alternating will prevent injury and increase muscle development.

Second, our bodies can draw estrogen from fat. (Really! Look it up ) So, as our natural ability to produce estrogen begins to decline, our mid section starts to gather fat to that area where estrogen begins its distribution. I don't know how your specific BC pills will affect that, but usually, they help.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
    wheatwife
    (female)

wheatwife HB User

I'm 5' 10" and weigh almost 150. My pants fit so much better if I'm down 10# from this weight. My top half has absolutely no problem with weight gain!

My current diet is low calorie, low fat and healthy carbs... only whole grains. I try to eat every couple of hours to keep my blood sugar stable.

My exercise includes using the treadmill, hiking, or like today I just danced around for 45 minutes to good old rock and roll. Got the heart rate up anyhow! I did the Bowflex three days a week for a while and didn't see a whole lot of change as far as the fat jiggle, so kind of gave up on it for the time being.

The problem is the weight just doesn't come off anymore. It just sits there, around my middle (not to mention the saddle bags.)

Thanks for your help!

PS: I hate estrogen!

Old 04-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
    Sonflower1116
    (female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

You might want to check on having a saliva test done for estrogen dominance. Middle body fat in women is a common complaint as we grow older, and exercise alone, and even with dieting, will not always shrink the tummy area when estrogen dominance is the culprit. Even after losing 45lbs, I'm still working on tummy area and just recently ordered a saliva test kit to see if this is my problem.

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 04-07-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
    wheatwife
    (female)

wheatwife HB User

And, if Estrogen dominance is the cause, what can one do about it?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-07-2005 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Never ask members where to get products, do your own search.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User

Anything to do with Anti-depressants and birth control has different effects of different people no matter what anyone says. I have done a lot of research on this issue and have found that both can cause weight gain in some people and weight loss in others. For example I was on Paxil for a while and could not stop eating and gained tons of weight, then switched to Wellbutrin and lost way too much weight. Birth control pills have the same affect. I tried various ones and when I stopped taking them I got my old body back. Ofcourse I am also younger BUT my mother was on birth control pills and estrogen and boy did she gain weight, poor thing hardly ate. They changed her birth control several times but the outcome was always the same = weight gain. Last year when I got married she got off everything and lost about 30lbs in three months. Eating the same as before and exercising the same way.
    I wish you luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
    Sonflower1116
    (female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheatwife
    And, if Estrogen dominance is the cause, what can one do about it?
    I read the book, "Before The Change" by Ann Louise Gittleman before I realized it might apply to my being unable to lose weight in my stomach.

Closed Thread