It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Cutting out soda advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
    Kc1985
    (female)

Kc1985 HB User
    Exclamation Cutting out soda advice?

Ok I basically do not drink anythign besides pepsi and coke and milk, and so Ive read cutting out soda completely will make for some weight loss? If u have cut out soda hwo much did u lose in what period of time? And what Can i drink instead of soda besides the obvious water i really dont like water but i will tough it out, and i know juice isnt that great either so what does anyone have to recomend to replace all that soda with?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
    frustrated35
    Inactive
    (female)

frustrated35 HB User
    Re: Cutting out soda advice?

My workout buddy dropped 10 lbs in a couple of weeks because she cut out soda. And that didn't mean switching from regular to diet. She cut it out all together.

I can't remember exactly how much weight I dropped, but it helped me gain more lean muscle mass. Which is my goal. We both drink green tea, suntea, water, water w/lemon, crystal lite(in moderation).

Old 04-18-2005, 12:18 AM   #3
    jpye
    (female)

jpye HB User

I haven't had any kind of soda in about 2 years. I lost weight when I first did it. I don't remember how much because that was quite a while ago.

Before I did it, I never drank water or anything. I absolutely hated it. I quit drinking sodas cold turkey and never looked back. It was a great thing for me to do and I would recommend it to anyone.

I, however, don't really like tap water. Something about it grosses me out... can't stand knowing it flows through the pipes and then into my cup. hehe, it's all in my head I'm sure, but it doesn't taste good to me. I drink bottled water. At first I remember it was a little difficult to drink water and not a Dr. Pepper or something, but a few weeks went by and I didn't want anything to drink BUT water.

You just have to give it a little time and eventually water will not bother you at all. Like I said, it's all I drink now.

Jenny

Old 04-18-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
    want2bfit
    (female)

want2bfit HB User

I don't drink soda either. They are wasted calories as you probably know. A good alternative is tea as someone else said. Also if you mix juice with water it will have a lot fewer calories. Try only filling the glass 1/4 or 1/3 with juice and the rest with water. Milk is also nutritious so its good that you drink that.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
    frustrated35
    Inactive
    (female)

frustrated35 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpye
    I haven't had any kind of soda in about 2 years. I lost weight when I first did it. I don't remember how much because that was quite a while ago.

Before I did it, I never drank water or anything. I absolutely hated it. I quit drinking sodas cold turkey and never looked back. It was a great thing for me to do and I would recommend it to anyone.

I, however, don't really like tap water. Something about it grosses me out... can't stand knowing it flows through the pipes and then into my cup. hehe, it's all in my head I'm sure, but it doesn't taste good to me. I drink bottled water. At first I remember it was a little difficult to drink water and not a Dr. Pepper or something, but a few weeks went by and I didn't want anything to drink BUT water.

You just have to give it a little time and eventually water will not bother you at all. Like I said, it's all I drink now.

Jenny
    I just bought that Britta water thing on Saturday and turned my tap water into better drinking water. I still buy bottled water for when I leave the house, but now I drink even more water because of that Britta thing.....

Old 04-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
    Kc1985
    (female)

Kc1985 HB User

yea im weary about drinking out of the tap so i think i might go buy a filter to make it better, And can I drink iced tea? like nestea or lipton?? or wil lthat be the same as pop, not neccisarily the stuff out of cans like the powder stuff you mix with water?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
    frustrated35
    Inactive
    (female)

frustrated35 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kc1985
    yea im weary about drinking out of the tap so i think i might go buy a filter to make it better, And can I drink iced tea? like nestea or lipton?? or wil lthat be the same as pop, not neccisarily the stuff out of cans like the powder stuff you mix with water?
    I make suntea by using the filtered water in my new britta quart pitcher. I mix that crystal lite stuff, but don't drink a lot of it because of the sweetner in it.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
    Lysander
    (female)

Lysander HB User

You should drink water. Forget the tea or lightly flavored water or other substitutes. I don't think anyone likes water at first. It's an aquired taste. Keep drinking it and you will come to love it and want nothing else. It's going to be unpleasant at first, but c'mon--spend a week or two in discomfort. It'll help you out for the rest of your life.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
    Kc1985
    (female)

Kc1985 HB User

Yea I definetly need to buy my own water then or get a filter because tap water is gross to me at least mine

Old 04-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
    FrogGurl
    (female)

FrogGurl HB User

I got a filter for my sink and its the only way I drink water now. I keep about 6, 20 oz bottles of water cold in my refrigerator at a time so I can always grab a cold one. The water tastes SO MUCH better with one. I used to not like water either, but it did grow on me and now it is pretty much all I drink, besides milk and OJ.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #11
    Haulin200
    (male)

Haulin200 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lysander
    You should drink water. Forget the tea or lightly flavored water or other substitutes. I don't think anyone likes water at first. It's an aquired taste. Keep drinking it and you will come to love it and want nothing else. It's going to be unpleasant at first, but c'mon--spend a week or two in discomfort. It'll help you out for the rest of your life.
    i gotta completly agree with this.

As far as how much will you lose? hard to say, but take this into mind:

The average 12-ounce (360 mL) can of soda pop contains about 40 grams of refined sugars. That's 10 teaspoons of pure calories. Would you ever eat 10 teaspoons of sugar at once?
    Remember 10 teaspoons of sugar is about a 1/4 of a cup of sugar.

And sodas like Pepsi and Coke, also contain about 150 calories.

So if your a regular soda drinker, my guess is about 5 cans of soda a day your drinking, that would equal:

750 calories extra a day with almost 1 and a half cups of sugar.

Pretty ugly huh?

Old 04-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #12
    Mstngfan
    (female)

Mstngfan HB User

I quit drinking everything but water in January 2003. I still have alcohol on occasion but besides that not one sip of anything but water in that time. I dont miss anything else AT ALL. Except when Im really thirsty and see something it looks good....but pretty much I like the water.

Only hard thing is since water isnt something most people drink for fun or sip on cause it tastes good, its hard to get enough of it and then you get dehydrated easy. If you can do only water and make yourself drink enough you will feel SO much better, I guaruntee it!

Old 04-20-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
    Kc1985
    (female)

Kc1985 HB User

Before basically I never ever drink water always pop, milk with meals, and applejuice or orange juice. Today i am starting to cut all that out and im drinkign a glass of water now ick lol i will probably still have some pop over the next few days and sort of try and wein myself off of it, that sucks how juice has all that sugar and stuff in it I really love applejuice and o.j. and those minute maid limeade drinks, owell i suppose i wil lbuy juice on occasion but stick with the water.And my water actualyl isnt bad out of the tap suprisingly, so ill update with this see if i have the willpower to not drink my pepsis and coke and rootbeer lol

Old 04-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
    hs1977
    (female)

hs1977 HB User

What about Diet Soda?? Is that okay or should you cut that out as well?

Old 04-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #15
    Kc1985
    (female)

Kc1985 HB User

apparently yes cut out diet soda too no soda! lol

Closed Thread