It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Is Diet soda bad for you?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
    missmanda05
    (female)

missmanda05 HB User
    Question Is Diet soda bad for you?

Hi all, I keep hearing that diet soda is bad for you, I dont know if its the sodium or what but I keep hearing it....Is that really true I dont know if I can give up my diet soda lol..I drink my 8 glasses of water a day and more I love water...Just like a lil diet pepsi at the end of a hard day know what I mean. Anyhows hope you guys can help smiles...Take care ....Oh yeah btw ITS FRIDAY!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I think we can make it!!~~Way2Go~~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 05:21 AM   #2
    Magnolia29
    (female)

Magnolia29 HB User
    Re: Is Diet soda bad for you?

As I am reading this, drinking my second diet coke with lime for the day and it isn't even 7:30 am yet.. oh man I hope it isnt bad for you!

Old 05-06-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

I have heard that it increases your appetite. And, probably the sodium content is considered high. But I still drink my diet soda, caffeine free though, so no added dehydration. People seem to have a problem with sugar substitutes, so that may be a factor too.
    Bella

Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

YES, it is bad for you.

The carbonation is definitely bad for you because it's hard on your stomach and leeches calcium from your bones.

The caffeine is bad for your digestion. It's also highly addictive and in some people it causes a lot of nervous problems and headaches.

The artificial sweetener is suspected of causing cancer and Alzheimer's disease, although the only thing that's been definitely proven is that Saccharine causes cancer, and it's been been taken off the market.

Regular cola is garbage with sugar, but at least you can metabolize the sugar. Diet cola is just plain garbage.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
    Sonflower1116
    (female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Aspartame, used in diet colas, breaks down in the body into many chemicals, including methanol, a known toxin. Methanol is also known as wood alcohol, and is often used as a paint thinner and an industrial cleaner. When it's metabolized in the body it is broken down into formaldehyde (think "embalming fluid"). Some effects in the body from drinking diet drinks include lethargy, fainting, headaches, nausea and vomiting, blindness, cough, breathing difficulities and other vision problems, birth defects in developing fetuses, as well as other reproductive defects. You won't find methanol listed as an ingredient in aspartame, but it's there nontheless.

Regular colas, on the other hand, include at least 9 teaspoons of sugar, which is know to compromise the immune system, beside leaching calcium from bones.

Water is far superior in that it adds nothing to stimulate, toxify or tax your organs and is great for flushing out toxins. Some teas, lemon juice or pure cranberry juice are excellent, nutritious drinks that aid in digestion/elimination.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but knowledge gives you the power to make healthy choices for your body and prevent health issues later on in life.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
    lindan
    (female)

lindan HB User

Sorry - I just don't buy all of the hype about diet sodas being awful for you. Of course, most anything done in excess can be harmful but I think that a Diet Coke or 2 each day won't harm you unless you have other health issues. I'm not giving it up - it's my only "vice!"

Old 05-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
    BethyGirlie
    (female)

BethyGirlie HB User
    Wink Re: Is Diet soda bad for you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sonflower1116
    Aspartame, used in diet colas, breaks down in the body into many chemicals, including methanol, a known toxin. Methanol is also known as wood alcohol, and is often used as a paint thinner and an industrial cleaner. When it's metabolized in the body it is broken down into formaldehyde (think "embalming fluid"). Some effects in the body from drinking diet drinks include lethargy, fainting, headaches, nausea and vomiting, blindness, cough, breathing difficulities and other vision problems, birth defects in developing fetuses, as well as other reproductive defects. You won't find methanol listed as an ingredient in aspartame, but it's there nontheless.
    Geez, and I thought my smoking habit was bad. Sheesh.

Last edited by BethyGirlie; 05-06-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
    Musion
    (male)

Musion HB User
    Exclamation Re: Is Diet soda bad for you?

Aspartame, Aspartame, Aspartame, you have GOT to get rid of it from your intake of food and drink. Went on Atkins in 2003 and lost 5 lbs in the first three weeks and couldn't understand why! A coworker said you drink dies coke and its bad for you. I said EVERYBODY says its bad for you but nobody can tell me why. She said Aspartame was the reason why look on Atkins web site and do a web search, well I did and low and behold the stuff is dangerous. I stopped right then, no easy task as I was addicted to the stuff.
    drank only water (yuck) until I spent like my whole weekend at different grocery stores reading labels. what I found was

Diet Rite - no Aspartame, no sodium, no caffeine(which turns on cravings)
    sweetened with Splenda(look for this its a good thing)

Crystal Clear brand flavored water -
    no Aspartame(which most flavored waters have), low sodium,
    no calories, no caffeine(see note above)

After i got off the Aspartame i went from 295 lbs to 200 lbs in
    5 months. And I know this might sound incredible but I don't exercise much at all. But you've got to understand a little of this bad stuff goes a long way, kind of like plastic explosives and gun powder!

I hope this answers your question, the habit is hard to break but worth it!

Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
    lainosuta
    (female)

lainosuta HB User

To be honest, diet coke is not worth it. Firstly, it will still give you empty calories, because your blood sugar will still jump after you drink it, as with all artificial sweetners that have 0 calories. They all have high glycemic indexes, except for Stevia sugar, which you can buy from a Whole Foods Market. Since drinking diet isn't going to help you save on calories anyways, just switch to normal coke for your caffiene kick so you can avoid the aspartame. Or even better, switch to green/black tea or black coffee. Both are not nearly as harmful and are much healthier for you to lose weight with.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
    hs1977
    (female)

hs1977 HB User

sorry I don't understand that, if it has 0 calories how can you still gain weight? I'm very interested to know I usually have 2-3 a day always diet thinking I was getting a free treat.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:46 AM   #11
    nikki11
    (female)

nikki11 HB User

hmm interesting.. i have lost alot of weight cutting out regular coke, switching to diet and watching what i eat.. im not sure witch one has worked, the food or the diet coke but i was drinkina ALOT of regular coke and b'cos i dont really like the taste of diet coke i dont drink as much of it although i do have it a few times a day, makes me feel not so deprived, i loved my coke lol! anywayz.. the aim is that as i dont miss the normal coke so much i will start going without the diet coke oh sorry i got off track, my point was going to be that everything in moderation should b alrite i rekon.. just dont overdo it.. diet coke probably isnt as bad for you as say, the fatty foods that contribute to heart desiese etc..

Old 05-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I would think that it's worse than regular soda! You are consuming CHEMICAL sugar rather than the real stuff. I'm not saying the other one is good either - I mean it's a lot of calories that really sneak in there! Also, my husband soaks rusty things in Coke or Pepsi and it cleans it well! If this stuff takes RUST off metal, what is it doing to your internal organs!?

Old 05-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

DIET SODA is god's gift to anyone trying to lose weight. Sweetened with cyclamate(Sucaryl...in most of the world, not the U.S.), aspartame (Nutrasweet), or sucralose (Splenda), whatever your choice, it's better than 10 teaspoon of sugar/can any day of the week.

All are endorsed by nearly every major health agency in every country on Earth.

All promote weight loss and help avoid insulin fluctutations.

The horrible illness connections all over the Internet are fabricated nonsense by competitors with no basis in fact. No co-incidence that all the aspartame condemnations came out PRECISELY at the time Splenda started getting peddled. Of course sugar makers, with BIG bucks (including your tax dollars), can finance a LOT of nay-saying about ALL of them.

I repeat...THANK GOD FOR ASPARTAME!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-18-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
    lainosuta
    (female)

lainosuta HB User

In theory and proven with other artificial sweeteners, Diet Coke still jumps your blood glucose lvls, meaning you will get hungry faster when your blood sugar drops down again at a fast rate. If you cant kick the habit, make sure you eat something full of fiber when you drink a Diet Coke to keep yourself from having blood sugar crashes later. Also, I greatly distrust the validity of no calorie sweeteners. You realise that its possible the reason that it doesn't give calories is the fact that your body cannot tolerate it normally?

I had problems for many years with my weight, despite drinking Diet Coke. When I finally stopped, not only did I no longer did I have to worry about my teeth, I also lost 15 lbs just because it was ten times easier to get through the day without binging by drinking green tea. I dont think drinking one diet coke every three days will harm you greatly, but its like smoking once every three days.. its like a counter counting down. Eventually, the sugar crashes will catch up to you, and make your life harder.

But thats just my opinion. We all have our cheats. >_> Mine is dark unsweeted chocolate. *_*

Old 05-19-2005, 06:45 AM   #15
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I have tested my blood sugar before and after Diet Sodas: an Internet friend did the same.
    Serum Glucose did NOT change one iota for either of us, nether at one, two or three hours!

Same was true whether aspartame (Coke) or sucralose (Diet-Rite) was tested. Also the same was true for acesulfame/aspartame (PepsiONE!)

After all where would any glucose COME from...our livers? Evolution isn't stupid: only carbohydrates raise blood glucose and insulin is released only when blood glucose is raised...anything else is VOODOO!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-19-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Closed Thread