It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Has anyone lost a lot of weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
    jkoz
    (female)

jkoz HB User
    Has anyone lost a lot of weight?

Hey All,

I am a classic yo-yo dieter and right now I an at the heaviest that I have ever been. I need to lose 50 pounds. I easily lost the weight in the past when I took the orginial Metabolife pills with the epheda in them. They do not make them any more, but even if they did, I would not take them again. In fact, I will not take any pill, prescription or OTC for weight loss. I do not believe that they work or are healthy.

So my question is to those of you who have lost a lot of weight - How did you do it? I am not blaming my weight gain on anyone or anything but myself. I am an emotonal eater. I do not over eat because I am hungry. I eat just to eat. I am a stay at home mom with three kids. My daughter is almost 11 and my boys are 14 and 6. Both of my boys are autistic, so there is a lot of stress around here. We live in the country and are not near a gym. All three kids are out of school for the summer so the stress is going to be continuous.

I know what I should do, eat less (smaller portions) and exercise. But knowing and doing is two different things. How did you get motivated and stay motivated to lose the weight that you wanted to?

Any advise, suggestions, and support is welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
    nikki11
    (female)

nikki11 HB User
    Re: Has anyone lost a lot of weight?

Hi jkoz,

I have lost 40 pounds so far.. like you, im a stay at home mum with no accsess to a gym... It can be hard to get motivated and to stay motivated at times.. i really have had to be strict with myself, especially in the beginning but as the weight started comming off it got easier b'cos i could see what i was doing, was working and thats a great feeling.. i think the key is to stay focused, even on days when you dont feel like eating rabbit food or doing exersizes remembering that this time next year you are either going to be fatter or thinner that has helped me.. i actually heard that on dr phill lol but hes right! With two autistic children i am sure you have a bit of stress but perhaps if use exersise as an outlet for stress you will find it a helpful tool.. try and change the way u view exersise.. alot of it, i beleive is in the mind.. i know for years i said i hate exersize then one day i just made up my mind that i was going to like it even if it killed me LOL.. make it fun, put on music, dance around your living room.. even get the kids involved if ya want.. it can be enjoyable but ya gotta change ya mindset

Old 06-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
    FrogGurl
    (female)

FrogGurl HB User

Jkoz

I let marriage get to me, in the fact that I gained about 30 pounds since being married 4.5 years ago. I was letting myself go, and it was not healthy. About 3 years ago I had wanted to lose a few pounds, so I stopped eating bread/cheese/pasta, and I lost 10 pounds (I forget how long it took me to lose it ), but then I got too cocky and started eating that stuff again and gained it all back, PLUS some! Last August I went jean shopping and just about had a stroke! I realized that I couldn't fit into my "regular size", and not even into the size above that one!! I said...ENOUGH! I need to do something! I was devestated! That very night I got a stability ball and a video and started at it. Although I wasn't very consistant in the beginning, and I've added a few new video's to my collection, since February 4th of this year I have lost a total of 24 pounds (so far), and in the last two months a total of 20.75 inches in arms, thighs, u&l abdomen, back, chest, butt and hips. My "regular size" jeans are now loose on me, especially in the butt area. Of course this isn't all from just exercise, although I do that on a regular basis-cardio/strength training/core work/stability ball. I had to totally makeover my eating habits. I started eating breakfast (which I never did), healthy snack (granola bar/fruit) @ 10-10:30, good lunch (tuna wrap), another healthy snack around 3-4p (fruit/pretzels), and then a sensible dinner (salad/tuna/fish w/brown rice or wheat pasta). I don't eat past 8 o'clock, and I am constantly downing bottles of water. I exercise 6 days a week, and allow myself a "cheat day" where I can eat the things I've craved all week, but still in moderation. This is what has worked for me, and I'm hoping it will continue to work for me until I reach my goal of 30-35 pounds. I was at 185 (I'm 5' 7 1/2"), now I'm at 161, but I want to be between 150 and 155.

My motivation has also been that I am in my best friend's wedding in a couple of weeks and I wanted to impress everyone back home (in MN), and look awesome for her wedding.

Sorry for babbling this huge story. I hope it is helpful somewhat.

God Bless <><
    FrogGurl

Old 06-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
    jkoz
    (female)

jkoz HB User

nikki11 -

Thanks for your suggestions and support. I like your motto about where will I be at this time next year, fat or thin. I chose thin, so I need to get my act together.

frog gurl -

Thanks for your suggestions and support too. What exercise videos do you use? I have not seen one for a ball and would be interested in one. I have some exercise videos, but I find that I get bored with them very quickly. Which ones do you like? I have an eliptical machine, but once again, it is the bordom factor. I know I need to change my eating habits. I do not eat breakfast and I HATE water. I can go for weeks without actually drinking a glass of water. YUCK!

Thanks again for your suggestions and support.

Old 06-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
    FrogGurl
    (female)

FrogGurl HB User

Well....the first ball exercise video I got was called "BLT-Butt, Legs, and Tummy" and it is by Karen Voight. Then I got another video by Denise Austin that has a 20 minute routine with just hand weights, and another 20 minute routine with the ball. If you have cable, on FitTV there are a bunch of exercise routines on that involve the ball, and without the ball. I also purchased a Karen Voight video called "Burn and Firm" and it is a series of cardio/strength training. My newest collection is "Yoga Booty Ballet", which is a lot of fun. Mostly it involves ballet moves, dancing and ballet, and of course some yoga. The Karen Voight video's I got at Best Buy, and the one by Denise Austin, I got at Wal-Mart, and it's actually called "Shrink Your Female Fat Zones". I mix it up every day. I don't let my body get bored with one video. Just make sure you give your body areas some rest, like if you do the "BLT video" one night, then work your upper body the next day, or do a cardio circuit. Try not to work the same area two days in a row, it needs time to recooperate

I used to hate water too, but now my body craves it. You just gotta keep reminding yourself that it is helping rid your body of toxins, and helping you lose weight!!! Get a filter for your faucet, that definitely helps. I won't drink water any other way now!

Hope I helped a little. If you have any more questions, let me know.

God Bless <><
    FrogGurl

Old 06-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
    sforza
    (female)

sforza HB User

I know where you're coming from. I yo-yo dieted for years before I finally found what's finally working for me. Everyone needs to have their own individual approach that incorporates long-term lifestyle changes. Personally, I keep a record of everything I eat. It really motivates me not to snack if I know I have to add the calories to my daily total. I also have a small dessert every night, and I never feel like I'm denying myself. And I either walk or bike or run every day...I don't force myself to do huge amounts of exercise, just at least a half hour every day. You mentioned motivation, and I guess that is the most important part. When I was ready to lose weight, I sat down and made a list of the reasons to lose weight and the reasons not to lose weight to begin with, and I realized that having control over my eating was a goal I definitely wanted to achieve. Every day I envision the body I'm working towards, and don't give up for the rest of the day or week if I overeat. But most importantly, I realized, like you, that I was using food for emotional reasons, and I started trying to find other outlets for my feelings.

But that works for me - you have to find what works for YOU. Think about small healthy changes you could handle in your life. And I strongly recommend a book called "Fit for Life" by Anne Fletcher. It's incredibly inspiring and helpful. Please keep your hopes up...losing weight and getting more physically fit and dealing with your emotions in positive ways can be way more personally fulfilling beyond looking fab in a dress.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
    nubsonpfarqhar
    (female)

nubsonpfarqhar HB User

Sfroza, I totally agree with you. Everyone needs to find what works for them and what they can stick with. When it comes to healthy eating, I don't subscribe to one particular diet. I took what I felt was best of the diets out there like Zone and South Beach and created my own manageable diet. And like you, I only exercise a half her day day six days a week.

Emotion is huge component of losing weight. I'm dealing with that right now. I have incredible intentions when it comes to eating well and exercising, but I am an emotional eater as well, but I'm slowly coming out of it. I've been reading this book called "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" by LInda Spangle, RN, MA. She is a registered nurse and works in a weightloss clinic and is a recovering emotional eater.

In the book she explains why it is when we are in certain situations and feel certain emotions we crave particular things. For example, you ever notice when you're depressed that's when you want icecream the most or when we are angry we want something crunchy chewy?

It's a really great book and think it's one everyone should check out from the library. It's totally opened my eyes. I still make mistakes, but I'm currently making strides with my emotional eating. The book also suggest replacing urges with eat with activities, but the key is using the right activities. For example, while walking may work when you're angry, it may not work as well when you're depressed. What might work for depression though might be taking deep breaths and saying "I'm strong," or doing some yoga, something to alleviate the soul.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
    Gimme_It
    (female)

Gimme_It HB User

Hey

I lost quite a bit of weight, I used to weigh 11.9 stone, and now weigh 9.7 - I got on the scales and just though right, enough is enough, its not only unhealthy but its depressing and at 16 going on 17 i didnt want it!!!

I lost 2 stone, but it gradually started coming back again, because I thought HA NOW THAT IV LOST IT I CAN EAT THE SAME STUFF! i was wrong.. I am like you, i eat when im bored, or just eat when i wanna eat. I hate salads, hate veg so i didnt really know what to do - I had another downfall though, which was chocolate... ADDICT.

I cut down a lot on the chocolates, and stuck to it. When I started to see the weight drop off and see my jeans and t-shirts getting baggier, i definately wanted to stick to it. I found it difficult at first laying off the choccy bars, but after a while, the cravings stop and I have some every now and again as a little treat.

I did find that when I went back to my old ways, i was eating properly, but when i was full i didnt stop, 1 because the food was so nice i didnt want to leave any of it and 2 i felt like i was wasting food if i left some!! This then was stretching my stomach and id find myself getting hungrier and wanting even more after a big meal because my stomach had strectched so much.

I have started now drinking as much water as I can, when I feel a bit peckish, I have a glass of water and sometime the hunger goes away because some of it is thirst. I always have some water now when i feel a bit hungry, and if i still feel hungry after, thats when I have food.

I have also stopped eating when "its time to eat" for example, getting home from college and everyone else is making tea, so Id have some because it was tea time, even when i wasnt hungry. I now eat when Im hungry and have food when I want it.

Its good to have my food under control, rather than the food controlling me.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
    longtail
    (female)

longtail HB User

Hi there,

I'm just passing the 50 pound mark myself. Everybody here's given some good advice, but I think the thing that helped me the most was learning to cope with what was making me eat. When I'm stressed, I eat, when I'm happy, I eat, when I'm sad, depressed, excited, etc...I'd reach for something. I didn't want to feel those emotions so I ate to "stuff" them down. I had to learn to let the emotions come. That wasn't easy! But in the long run it's really paid off. Now when I'm feeling like I really NEED something to make the emotion stop, I take a deep breath and go walk around the house or office for five minutes and just breathe to get my head to clear. It helps for me to consciously acknowledge the emotion and tell myself, "God, I'm depressed." It takes a lot of practice, but it's REALLY worth it! Weight loss is hard enough without intense emotion heaping on top of it. Be good to yourself and above all, be kind with your own feelings. That's what weight loss is all about.

Closed Thread