It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Body Type diet???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
k8ty
(female)

k8ty HB User
Question Body Type diet???

Has anybody heard of the Body Type diet? I was a bit skepticle (sp?) before reading a lot about it, and everything that I have heard about my body type (Gynaeoid) accurately describes me!! There is just too much evidence that these four body types exist -- and how accurately they describe me -- for me to ignore it any longer.

My only problem is, I haven't found much info on what to do about it. I can't find a web-site or anything to tell me what kinds of foods I should eat and/or stay away from. I don't want to buy the book unless somebody tells me it's been useful. So....... Has anybody heard of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
KrFr
(female)

KrFr HB User
Re: Body Type diet???

Dr. Sandra Cabot wrote the book on this plan. She has written many other books also. You may want to do a search on your favoite online book vendor site. HTH

PS She has her own website also that deals with issues of the liver among other things. You can read a lot more about it there. I am sure it will be easily found by doing a web search for her name.

Last edited by KrFr; 09-21-2005 at 01:08 PM.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
KannD86
(female)

KannD86 HB User

Once you find out more, could you share some of the info? I'm curious about this plan. Does it mean that if you are a certain body type/shape, certain foods will benefit you in ways it won't for others?

Old 09-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
KrFr
(female)

KrFr HB User

Here is some additional information for you.

There are 4 body shapes.

Lymphatic: Often chubby since childhood, the lymphatic-shaped woman gains weight evenly all over--like Roseanne or Oprah. She craves dairy products and salty foods. Soft, cuddly, and often a couch potato, she just hates to exercise.

Android: Her broad sholders give her an athletic appearance--like Madonna or Cindy Crawford--and a spare tire around the middle when she puts on pounds. She loves high cholesterol hamburgers or steaks and her excess pounds may mean excess facial and body hair too.

Gynecoid; For the classic pear-shaped woman, fat is stored in the buttocks and thighs; favorite foods are creamy cakes and sugary quick fixes--just ask Elizabeth Taylor or Julia Roberts--and most diets make her lose weight where she doesn't want to --in her breasts and face!

Thyroid; Lean and rangy, she has long legs, a long neck and narrow hips like Princess Di. She may have a propensity for eating disorders and she relishes energy boosters like caffeine, cigarettes, spicy foods, or chocolate. No wonder she feels high strung!

Your hormones are the key to your body type, what food you crave, and where you put on pounds.

Find out how they are also the key to weight loss in...

THE BODY-SHAPING DIET

The above info is found on the back cover of the book by Dr. Sandra Cabot. Each body type has a different diet plan that contains different food suggestions for their type. The four diet plans have calorie counts totaling 1000. Of course eating 1000 calories a day will produce weight loss no matter what the calories are from but the diets seem to be healthy to me.

HTH

Old 09-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, KareFree

I'm real happy with the eating habits I've established, but curiosity is getting the better of me on this one.

What happens if you've got some of all four of the types and no single one seems to really apply? Like I'm a couch potato, despise exercise, love salty foods, but I wasn't fat in childhood, and I don't gain weight all over. I love burgers and steaks (cheese, too), put on the spare tire, but I don't have excess facial or body hair. I'm losing weight in my face and boobs, but I wouldn't say my favorite foods are sweets (see burgers and steaks above..wink, wink). Finally, I'm not lean and langy, no long legs, can't say I have an eating disorder, but I smoke and love caffeine.

Just curious. Seems sorta like a horoscope, you know? You can usually read any sign's horoscope and have it apply to you (not you specifically, the generic "you").

I would also think 1,000 calories may be way too low for some. Is that adjustable depending on weight and height?

Sounds interesting, tho, since some folks do so well on a certain type of eating plan, but when another person tries it, it just doesn't seem to work.

Lysne

Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
surrealmeal
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1
Seems sorta like a horoscope, you know? You can usually read any sign's horoscope and have it apply to you (not you specifically, the generic "you").
Good point, I agree. From the descriptions given, I couldn't categorize myself. I am curious about this all though.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
gnote
(female)

gnote HB User

I agree with Lysne. What I find the most helpful is to eat a healthy, lowfat diet. Be sure to add in high fiber foods too. I have tried keeping my caloric intake to about 1200 a day, but it depends on how much exercise you are doing (which you also must do for your metabolism and for cardiovascular health). If you take in too little, you can mess up your metabolism. The less fatty and processed foods you eat, the more energy you'll have. I have experienced this myself when being very good with my eating. Another thing which helps is to keep a log of what you eat each day. You can also try keeping track of your exercise regimen. Following a "diet" very rarely works. Moderation is best. When you splurge, make up for it the next day be eating better and extra exercise (even walking at a relatively fast speed).

Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
KrFr
(female)

KrFr HB User

The weight loss plans get more specific than just calorie counting from what I understand. I am not a lymphatic shape but a dear friend of mine is and supposedly she is allergic to dairy (according to Dr. Cabot). It causes allergies and water retention. The lymphatic woman is also suppose to crave dairy. It may be a coincidence but that is all true for my friend. Because of that the lymphatic woman is suppose to avoid dairy in her meal plans.

Dr. Cabot does suggest that each type plan stay within the 1000 calorie a day plan and gives several meal suggestions for each group. I have been having one of the gynecoid breakfast suggestions for the last 2 days (2 pcs ww toast with 1/4 avocado smeared on top). That is just one of the suggestions and something I have always enjoyed. The gynecoid type womans suggested calorie counts should be 250 caloried for breakfast, 300 calories for lunch and 450 calories for dinner. The other body type calories for each meal are different. Cabot says that these plans are based on when each body types metabolism is at its highest and that is reflected with the highest calorie meal.

There is no mention of adding more calories but I would think that as long as the percentage of calories were in the same range for each meal that one would lose on 1200-1500 calories a day or even more if vigorous exercise was being done.

I have had this book for months. I purchased this book by Sandra Cabot along with her Syndrome X book and her Liver and Bowel Cleanse book several months ago. I just read it completely to try to help answer the OP's questions. While each type plan is slightly different with recommended foods different for all types the basic avoidance of white flour, sugar and refined foods is a thread through all the type plans.

I personally have been counting calories at 1200 a day for the past couple of weeks but can see myself actively trying the body type plan as I have for the last 2 days.

I can see how the confusion about choosing what body type each of us are. Even with the added benefit of the pictures it took me several months to decide that I am gynecoid with traits from several of the other types. My body shape (until I got REALLY overweight) was always bottom heavy though so I think that is my natural shape.

I have to say that in the last couple of days I have been satisfied with the 1000 calories. Hunger and cravings don't seem to be bothering me as much as usual BUT that could change at any moment.

I am not preaching for this plan. I don't know if it works. I honestly think that anyone would lose weight on 1000 calories a day whether it was from fresh fruit, vegetables and lean meat or from Hershey's. I know which one would taste better but I also know which one would be healthier. The food choices for these plans seem to be healthy to me.

If anyone has any more questions I would be glad to try to find the answers in Dr. Cabots book for you. I think I am going to give it an honest try. I have my fingers crossed for it to work for me. Wish me luck!

Old 09-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the additional info, Karefree.

Good luck! I sure hope you succeed with it

Lysne

Old 09-28-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
KrFr
(female)

KrFr HB User

Thank you StenoLady1. I think I have lost about 5 pounds in about the last week and a half but I have a long way to go.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, KareFree

Five pounds is a good chunk of change! Don't sell yourself short. I've gone down 14 in two months and a week. Today I was at the market, and I bought a five-pound bag of the yukon gold potatoes. I thought to myself, "Hey, I can't believe I've lost almost three of these bags in body weight!"

Next time you go to the market, lift up one of those bags...you'll give yourself a big pat on the back.

I have a long way to go, too, but we'll get 'er done.

Lysne

Old 09-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
k8ty
(female)

k8ty HB User

Thanks for the input, I did know the basic 4 body shape types and have classified myself as Gyneoid. The info I have on that is that we basically produce an abundance of estrogen which is why we have larger hips/thighs even than other women. I did not know that there was a ~1000 cal/day limit, which is much much to low for my lifestyle, but I'm thinking of modifying that.

The info I have found on it was just a list of foods we are supposed to be "addicted to" and a very short list of foods that are in the "plentiful" category. Could somebody give me some more foods in the eat-as-much-as-you-can category? I know veggies, fruits, whole grains, and low-fat dairy but that's about it.

Congratulations to everybody who's had success with this!

Old 09-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
KannD86
(female)

KannD86 HB User

Thanks for the info. I think I'd be classified as android. Does it say what foods are specifically bad for this body type? What about ones that are always good? I'm not sure I can stick to a diet plan from a book word for word, but I'm always looking for a few pointers. Thanks again and good luck.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:17 AM   #14
KrFr
(female)

KrFr HB User

KannD86, here are some of the Android guidelines:

Desirable food in grains, cereal, bread and pasts are whole grains such as brown rice, millet, barley, wheat, rye, tolled oats, corn, buckwheat. Bread, crispbread, crackers, flour and pasta made of these whole grains.

Desirabke Legumes are all beans, lentils and peas. Tofu and bean sprouts.

Desirable Meat, chicken game and fish are fresh and canned fish. Free-range chickens, turkeys and eggs. Ocasional lean red meats.

Desirable Dairy products are low fat milk, cheese and yogurt. Sheep and goats milk and yogurt. Rice Dream milk and soy milk.

Desirable fruits and vegetables are all fresh and dried fruits, canned fruit in natural juice or water. A wide variety of fresh vegetables.

Desirable nuts and seeds all unsalted raw nuts and seeds. Tahini and raw nut pasts.

Desirable fats and oils are small amounts of olive, linseed and canola oil.

Desirable beverages are water: 6-12 glases. Mineral water and seltzer. Some herb teas (tannin free). 1-2 cups of coffee per day.

Desirable miscellaneous items are small amounts of honey, sugar or molasses.

The above list is for the android body shape. Dr. Cabot suggest 250 calories for the android breakfast, 350 calories for lunch and 400 calories for dinner. A semivegetarian diets sits well with the Android body shape.

StenoLady1, thanks for the encouragement. I can really use some. It is amazing how much weight we carry around on a daily basis....And I wonder why my old bones ache? Congratulations on your 14 pound loss! Keep up the good work!

K8ty, I am also a gynecoid shape. Our even meal is the largest of the day because this is when our metabolism is most active. The eating plan is designed to present us with a generous and tasty meal that will leave us satisfied. Our second danger period is late at night. If we must eat at this times stick to raw fruits and vegetables.

As for the "eat as much as you can" catagory....I don't think there is one. Every calorie does count. I suppose you could eat as much leafy green vegetables as you want but you would need to go very sparingly on the dressing.

I think you could add more calories to the plan and still lose weight. I would just try to keep the percentagle of calories eaten at each meal to about the same as on the 1000 day calories plan for each type. The gynecoid plan suggest a 250 calorie breakfast, a 300 calorie lunch and a 450 calorie dinner. If you were eating a 1500 calories a day plan I would think that would mean about 700 calories of dinner, 450 for lunch and 350 for breakfast.

Dr. Cabot suggests that on waking ALL body types have a large glass of water with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

HTH

Karen

Closed Thread