It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

is celery truely negative calories!?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
ducttape1000
Inactive
(female)

ducttape1000 HB User
is celery truely negative calories!?

i'm trying to lose 10lbs by christmas- which is 12 weeks away. i figure i will try to lose 1 lb /wk. with the exeption of thanksgiving week and halloween week (at which i will try to remain the same) so that will be 10 lbs in 10 weeks. now for my question: i have been eating celery and ranch (35 cal/2 tbsp.) at work. should i try to eat as much of this as possible so i wont be as hungry at dinner? will the celery negate some of the calories from the ranch? or is this a myth? i probably go through 6-8 tbsp/day. and a whole stalk of celery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
cookiepls
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Cool Re: is celery truely negative calories!?

I've got some Ranch dressing in my fridge. According to the label, a serving size is 2 tablespoons and contains 110 calories. One stalk of celery has about 6 calories but your body burns a little more than that to digest it. So in a sense, you could call it negative calories. There's other foods that are considered to have negative calories too. My mom used to make a 'peel-a-pound' soup that contained a lot of cabbage. It also takes energy to digest raw spinach (great for salads) and there's more but I don't remember what they are. Before I get too far off, there's a point I want to make. If you're eating 6-8 tablespoons of ranch a day, that's 330 to 440 calories of primarily fat. You might be burning 8 calories to digest the celery but you're consuming far too many calories from the dressing to make any difference. See the problem?

Plus, you're going to bore yourself to death eating celery to lose weight. Try bringing some other 'whole foods' to work. Fruits, raw veggies or any other whole food you can prepare the night before. It takes a negative 3500 calories to lose one pound of body weight. All you have to do is determine how many calories you should be consuming then keep track of those calories each day. Just make sure it's about 500 less calories per day. That'll equal your negative 3500 in a week and allow you to lose one pound per week without gagging on all that celery.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
surrealmeal
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User
Re: is celery truely negative calories!?

The celery will probably work if you can stick to it, but why torture yourself? You could be eating a variety of other healthy foods. It's best to eat a variety anyway because you won't get bored and tempted to cheat, and because you'll be getting a wider variety of vitamins and nutrients.
The negative-calorie effect is indeed interesting, but I personally would much rather exercise a few more minutes a day than eat a bunch of celery.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It is a myth. NO food is negative calories.

Celery is pretty close to calorie free but the ranch dressing (looks like diet ranch?) calories will not be negated by the celery.

On the other hand, the fiber content of the celery and the time to chew it all tend to work strongly in your favor and 35 calories is a low calorie snack indeed.
And you are right, if your stomach is full of celery at dinner time, you will eat less. I sometimes do the same trick with a big mug of coffee before dinnertime. I use celery and carrots for occasional nighttime munching...it keeps me away from the cheese!

How does that 35 calorie Ranch taste?

Last edited by Lenin; 10-05-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Angelicat
(female)

Angelicat HB User

If you like celery, I think it is an excellent snack to have, especially if you can have it plain. (For me, I love it with peanut butter -- uh oh!!!)

I don't think any one food is a weightloss cure. You have to have many tools in your toolbox

Old 10-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
pipermac
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Yup it is a myth. If you want to lose 1 Lb a week the Simplest thing to do is Either Cut 500 calories a day from your diet or add 500 Calories of Exercise to your daily routine.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
abca
(male)

abca HB User

It's not really a myth at all, it is negative calories, It is just hard to lose weight just by eating celery

Closed Thread