It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Question: Aerobics and Weight Lifting

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Beatlegryphie
(female)

Beatlegryphie HB User
Question: Aerobics and Weight Lifting

Is it common to not lose any weight but gain weight when you start weight lifting? My husband seems to think that at the weight I am now I should have started to lose, while I have heard that you do gain at first and then lose. Which one of us is closer to being right?

On the flip side if you do gain weight at first how long on average does it take for you to start losing it? And is it normal to gain 5 or 6 pounds at first?

Should I be watching my carbs at this time as well (I was brought up thinking that carbs are good for aerobic)

Right now I am doing water aerobics 5 days a week, with some weight lifting three days a week at home.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Moxie75
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Question: Aerobics and Weight Lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegryphie
Is it common to not lose any weight but gain weight when you start weight lifting? My husband seems to think that at the weight I am now I should have started to lose, while I have heard that you do gain at first and then lose. Which one of us is closer to being right?

On the flip side if you do gain weight at first how long on average does it take for you to start losing it? And is it normal to gain 5 or 6 pounds at first?

Should I be watching my carbs at this time as well (I was brought up thinking that carbs are good for aerobic)

Right now I am doing water aerobics 5 days a week, with some weight lifting three days a week at home.
This is very common to gain weight while weight training the key factor here is that you will still go down in your clothing size. Many years ago I started weight training and gained 10 lbs but went down a size in clothing. Muscle takes up less space than fat. Do not concern yourself with the scale watch body fat % that is the real key. As for aerobics any aerobic excercise is great as long as you do it right after weight training. All of your glycogen that is needed to build muscle will be depleted by your aerobics. As for carbs the good carbs are great for your workouts it's the bad carbs that give you a fast high only to also give you an energy crash. Good carbs burn slowly through the day with an even amount of energy being distributed through your body...Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 10-12-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
pipermac
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User
Re: Question: Aerobics and Weight Lifting

I wouldnt worry about it! If you are Drinking a lot more water It could alsio explain the immediate weight gain. Many People are Dehydrated Most of the time and dont realize it. When they Start to drink more water and follow a healthy diet they may retain more of the water and gain a few lbs at the start. Also Muscle Weighs more then fat. so If you are gaining Muscle then you could gain some weight. but Muscle is very important. the more Muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be and the more Calories you will burn.

Thats Why Body builders can Eat upwards of 4000 Calories a day.

Dont Fixate your self on Weight......Body fat is much more important.

You also must realize that it is not uncommon to fluctuate your weight up to 5lbs from day to day and from Morning to Evening. (Depending how much you weigh)

If you want a True Idea Of How much you Weigh a Good thing to do is Weigh yourself Every Morning when you wake up without any cloths on. Mark down this Weight every day. Over Time you will see a trend. You will notice that you will go up and down from day to day. but you will also notice that your Peak Weight and your minimum weight will start to go down.

Eg. In the last Week My Weights have been 256, 254, 253, 255, 252.5, 253.5, and 254.

If I weigh myself at night I will easily see my weight to be 3lbs More.

Closed Thread