It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Anyone tried the french diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
    cad2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cad2 HB User
    Anyone tried the french diet?

Over the summer I had tried the french diet or should I say french way of life and I have to say I really found it a nice change. I was on the south beach diet for three years and I am not quite sure what happen but I started experiencing so much bloating and water retention, not sure why? I had an exercise routine of lifting weights as well as cardio. Well i gave up lifting the heavy weights and went to a little lighter and changed my diet and man I felt so much better no bloat. I am not sure if it was the weights or the diet but I have to say something worked . Now I went back to the south beach diet and lifting a bit heavier weights and I have to say I once again feel awful so now I will try what worked in the summer any one else tried this diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
    Re: Anyone tried the french diet?

Hi, Cad

I haven't tried "the French diet", per se, but I've been incorporating the principles of the Omega Plan in my diet for several months. The Omega Plan/Diet is eating, living and exercising the way folks in the Mediterranean do, including Southern France.

I must say this is truly a wonderful lifestyle change. I, like you, really feel just incredible. I'd tried all sorts of diets in the past, but this one is just awesome and one I can foresee living with long-term. Now if I can only find a real veal demi-glace without cooking it 40 hours myself. Gotta love the French, oui, oui!

Enjoy your cheese, wine & chocolate...bon appetite!

Lysne

Old 10-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
    cad2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cad2 HB User

That is the most beautiful thing in the whole world having a glass of wine with diner and a piece of cheese, and a gorgeous piece of extra dark chocolate at the end of your meal that's the life for me. What is your typical day of eating like do you eat bread?

Old 10-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
    cad2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cad2 HB User

Lysne, I am so happy to have found someone els who appreciates this way of eating. I haven't read up on the omega plan before I have been just going by experience and people I know , My mom is European and eats sparingly but very fresh and healthy and walks everywhere she goes and has never been over weight in her life in fact a little under weight and she eats out in a resturant almost daily but only has a desert once a week and a small portion of it I might add. I have a few friends that are from France and are very healthy and eat quite along the same lines as my mother. I also purchased the book french women don't get fat and it is a wonderful book with delicious recipes I have read it throught three tmes. Have you heard of it?

Old 10-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cad2
    That is the most beautiful thing in the whole world having a glass of wine with diner and a piece of cheese, and a gorgeous piece of extra dark chocolate at the end of your meal that's the life for me. What is your typical day of eating like do you eat bread?
    Man, you're not kidding! I'd gotten so used to processed quick-fix meals, I had truly forgotten what real cooking tastes like.

Yes, I eat bread. Usually two slices of oatmeal bread with a sandwich for lunch if I don't do a salad or fruit with cheese. I also like a nice bagette with roasted garlic smeared on it sometimes with dinner. Do you eat bread?

Typical day eating as follows:

Breakfast
    Cheerios with low-fat milk, ground flax and cinnamon, glass of OJ. I wish I could get more creative with breakfast, but it's my least favorite meal. I also have a cup or two of coffee.

Lunch
    Sandwich with lean ham & turkey...my new fav is to spread Laughing Cow Lite spreadable swiss cheese right on the meat and toast it. I'll also do salads with tuna and my own bleu cheese dressing. Sometimes I'll just do an apple or a pear with cheese, that spreadable Cow swiss.

Dinner
    Lots of chicken & fish, but pork tenderloin or lean beef maybe once a week. For chicken, I like a roasted whole chicken with fresh basil pesto stuffed between the skin and meat, or last night I found a good one...sauteed cornish hens with whole olives, green & black, in a white wine sauce. The chicken dishes I usually serve with a fresh veggie and/or salad and roasted yukon gold potatoes, garlic & onions. I like Basmati rice, too. Tonight we're doing NY strip steaks (extra lean...I have an awesome butcher!) topped with a veal demi-glace (in a jar...not great, but will do), set on a fresh bunch of frisee tossed in olive oil and garlic. I have some leftover potatoes and onions, so that will go with it.

Snacks are zucchini bread (it's really like a slice of cake, not bread), walnuts or almonds, yogurt, fruit, cheese, other fruit and veggie muffins and breads...I'm on a pumpkin kick right now so close to Halloween!

What kinds of stuff do you eat? Have you gotten into a routine with all the food prep? Took me a while to get used to that. I need to get a French and Greek cookbook. I love the Italian dishes, but garlic is starting to come out of my pores visibly now. Plus, I don't really care for what the Italians do with fish. It's much too soupy for me. I love the way the French prepare fish, tho. Yes, must hit bookstore this weekend

Looking forward to hearing what you do!

Lysne

Old 10-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #6
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Lysne, I am so happy to have found someone els who appreciates this way of eating. I haven't read up on the omega plan before I have been just going by experience and people I know , My mom is European and eats sparingly but very fresh and healthy and walks everywhere she goes and has never been over weight in her life in fact a little under weight and she eats out in a resturant almost daily but only has a desert once a week and a small portion of it I might add. I have a few friends that are from France and are very healthy and eat quite along the same lines as my mother. I also purchased the book french women don't get fat and it is a wonderful book with delicious recipes I have read it throught three tmes. Have you heard of it?
    I, too, am so glad to know someone else to chat with who enjoys these delicacies! My grandma and her "people", as she liked to call them, were European, as well (southern France & northern Italy). All of her brothers and sisters lived to be 100 or older, walked everywhere, ate all day it seemed, but tiny meals, very fresh. They didn't love desserts, either. Dessert at their homes was fruit with fresh whipped cream or a sweet bread.

Yes, I have heard of the French book. The Today Show did a segment on it a while back. It's really similar to the Mediterranean Diet/Omega Plan. The only thing to eliminate from our diets is processed foods, especially those containing partially hydrogenated fats.

I got turned on to the Omega Plan over at the cholesterol board, and thinking of my grandma and her "people", it just made sense. There's definitely a segment of Europe we can learn from. I'm working on stress right now, trying to decrease it. Love the wine, love the foods, can handle walking all the time...just need to not get stressed, but I work with lawyers, so it's hard

Anyway, hope you have a great weekend & very nice to meet you!

Cheers

Lysne

Old 10-14-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
    cad2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cad2 HB User

Lysne,
    Sounds wonderful all that delicious food you prepare. It took me a while but now I enjoy making meals, I get so creative I buy everything from the farmers market and seasonal It just tastes so fresh.
    I do eat bread as well just a small piece with a little butter or olive oil.
    I bake a fresh loaf every other day and I also make my own yogurt that is wonderful so tasty. I could never eat store bought again.
    For my breakfast i usually have yogurt and figs or prunes (some kind of fruit)
    or cooked oatmeal with apples and lemon juice with rasins this is delicious!!!! I make a pot that lasts a couple of days.
    Hard boiled egg piece of bread and tomato on some days

for lunch
    freshly made soup, small piece bread, piece of cheese and fruit
    or big salad with chick peas and turkey
    or fruit and yogurt

dinner
    some type of protein
    2 veggies, brown rice or potato
    piece of cheese,glass wine and fruit.

all of theese portions are really small but completely sastisfying and I eat very slow, our meal usually takes an hour or so.

I love eating this way I am never hungry and if I am I have fruit or nuts. I never get bloated when I eat like this.

I also put lemon in my water after I eat seems to help with digestion

I will have to try oatmeal bread.

Do you go to the farmers market for fruits and veggies?
    Do you eat alot of soups?

Old 10-15-2005, 05:19 AM   #8
    what is truth
    (female)

what is truth HB User

Honestly, that sounds like such a good diet

There aren't any faddy things to follow, it just sounds like eating healthily!

I mean, yeah, French people do seem to be really quite healthy, as are Italian people, and they all eat so healthily, but NORMALLY, instead of following some stupid "no this, no that" diet.

Not to mention the Far East have the lowest levels of Eating Disorders, and they're mostly a petite population, AND they've been eating Rice for thousands of years

if you're dead?

Old 10-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #9
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mornin', Cad

Wow...you make your own yogurt! Maybe you could pass along that recipe/process to me? Is it with fruit, plain or both?

Finding enough fruits & veggies to add up to ten servings a day and not get bored was a task in my corner of the world. The supermarkets here are pretty limited, and the produce stands, well, let me just say I wouldn't feed the stuff to my dogs. Buggy, hot, over-ripe, and not a nice selection. I ended up finding a wholesale distributer about a half-hour away with a salesperson who was nice enough to sell to me in small quantities. I live in a somewhat rural area of the Deep South in the US. You'd think there'd be farmers markets everywhere, but there's not.

Because of the heat right now, soups heat me up too much. We do get nice winters here, tho, without snow, but cold enough to enjoy soups. Cold salads we eat daily during the summer/early fall months.

I hadn't tried lemon in the water. Good idea. DH and I have gotten into herbal teas, tho, loose leaf, and we put lemon in that.

What kind of oatmeal do you buy? I need to give it another shot. I just never really cared for it. Maybe once it cools off, it will help. Someone on these boards mentioned steel cut oats. Do you use these?

I miss eggs! My doc diagnosed me with high triglycerides and told me no more eggs, unless it's egg substitute or just whites. Ugh! The substitute works for baking and scrambled eggs, but I loved hard boiled. I'm reading conflicting opinions on this, but for now, I'll do what he says until I get my numbers rechecked.

I'm going to try baking my own regular bread this weekend, not the sweet veggie kind. I'm thinking a foccacia so I can add veggies to it (and see them!). I bought a really good pan last weekend, and I have the time this weekend, so we'll see. It seems pretty versatile. I can cut a small wedge to have with a salad or dinner, or I can make a sandwich with it for lunch.

BTW, how much have you lost eating/living like this? I've lost 16 and DH's lost 30 since the end of July. We had a week-long vacation in there, where we cheated a bit, and then a nasty cold that laid us both up for over a week that we caught on vacation. To be honest, even if I only lost a pound a month, I'd still do this. I feel so good in other respects

Enjoy your Saturday & please pass along the yogurt process. Store bought definitely isn't great. I really miss the plain I used to eat as a child when we lived abroad.

Warmest Regards,
    Lysne

Old 10-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
    cad2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cad2 HB User

Hi ya Lysne,

I have lost about 10 pounds since early summer and I am happy to say I have reached my goal and mabie even a bit lower. I too feel so good I recently went back to eating south beach for a couple of weeks to see the difference and wow I felt awful I just can't eat six times a day and all that protein. I like to eat a bit on the lighter side but always when I am hungry. I live in the Mid West and it is hard to get the best produce but I spend a few hours a week going to places I know, it's a nice peaceful drive so I enjoy it.
    Do you eat a lot of chicken, fish well I guees any type of protein or do you also include whole grains. I have been experimenting with different grains and coming up with some wonderful dishes, it's a nice change from so much meat.
    I do use steel cut oats and I love them. It seems I use them for everything. I make a granola and mix that in my yogurt (so delicious). I also use half cup oats and mix with half cup egg beaters and cook it like a pancake then top it with natural peanut butter and jam, this is good as well. You should try again you might like them also mix a few walnuts and small amount maple syrup.
    I drink herbal teas as well I have for as long as I can remember and also green tea. I love coffee as well and try to limit that to one cup a day. or two
    My Dr can never believe how healthy I am, I have always tried to eat really well and exercise. Do you take a daily walk? I started to lift weights a while ago and do yoga as well what a difference.

I made pasta e fagoli soup for dinner, with fresh baked tomato, olive whole wheat bread and corn polenta and wel will have half glass of wine a slice of pineapple and piece of cheese. I love cooking like this.

My yogurt recipe is

1 quart of 1% milk
    1/2 cup dry no fat milk (powdered like carnation)
    3 tablspoon honey

heat that to 115 degrees
    pour out about 3/4 cup into a container and wisk in
    1/2 cup starter wich can be just 1/2 cup of any plain yogurt I use organic usually 2% as the skimmed one is kind of runny.
    Add that to your original mixture, then put that in the yogurt maker leave that for six hours and then put in the fridge over night. I really like to strain mine through cheese cloth so it is really thick.
    You can do this in your oven as well you have to keep adjusting the temp to keep the yogurt at 115 degrees. You have to keep your oven temo very low hardly even on. A yogurt maker is really cheap if you get into making your own ten $ I think. Do you eat lots of fruit I just had to most delicious Gala apple I have ever had. Where do you get your loose tea from and what flavors do you drink? Hope you are having a great day!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2005, 12:16 PM   #11
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Hi ya Lysne,

I have lost about 10 pounds since early summer and I am happy to say I have reached my goal and mabie even a bit lower. I too feel so good I recently went back to eating south beach for a couple of weeks to see the difference and wow I felt awful I just can't eat six times a day and all that protein. I like to eat a bit on the lighter side but always when I am hungry. I live in the Mid West and it is hard to get the best produce but I spend a few hours a week going to places I know, it's a nice peaceful drive so I enjoy it.
    Do you eat a lot of chicken, fish well I guees any type of protein or do you also include whole grains. I have been experimenting with different grains and coming up with some wonderful dishes, it's a nice change from so much meat.
    I do use steel cut oats and I love them. It seems I use them for everything. I make a granola and mix that in my yogurt (so delicious). I also use half cup oats and mix with half cup egg beaters and cook it like a pancake then top it with natural peanut butter and jam, this is good as well. You should try again you might like them also mix a few walnuts and small amount maple syrup.
    I drink herbal teas as well I have for as long as I can remember and also green tea. I love coffee as well and try to limit that to one cup a day. or two
    My Dr can never believe how healthy I am, I have always tried to eat really well and exercise. Do you take a daily walk? I started to lift weights a while ago and do yoga as well what a difference.

I made pasta e fagoli soup for dinner, with fresh baked tomato, olive whole wheat bread and corn polenta and wel will have half glass of wine a slice of pineapple and piece of cheese. I love cooking like this.

My yogurt recipe is

1 quart of 1% milk
    1/2 cup dry no fat milk (powdered like carnation)
    3 tablspoon honey

heat that to 115 degrees
    pour out about 3/4 cup into a container and wisk in
    1/2 cup starter wich can be just 1/2 cup of any plain yogurt I use organic usually 2% as the skimmed one is kind of runny.
    Add that to your original mixture, then put that in the yogurt maker leave that for six hours and then put in the fridge over night. I really like to strain mine through cheese cloth so it is really thick.
    You can do this in your oven as well you have to keep adjusting the temp to keep the yogurt at 115 degrees. You have to keep your oven temo very low hardly even on. A yogurt maker is really cheap if you get into making your own ten $ I think. Do you eat lots of fruit I just had to most delicious Gala apple I have ever had. Where do you get your loose tea from and what flavors do you drink? Hope you are having a great day!!!!!!
    Hey, Cad

Sorry for delay in getting back & thanking you for the recipes. Major 'puter issues this weekend & I had trouble logging in.

The pancake thing you make with the oats & egg beaters, are the oats uncooked or cooked when you make the little patties? Also, do you use the instant type or the steel cut type? I'm going to check into a yogurt maker. That really sounds good and not too hard.

Ahhh..soup! I'm jealous. It's 87 and humid here...two weeks out from Halloween!!! Ugh. Soon enough, tho, and it will be cold here. We're still keeping our eyes on the tropics and tropical storm Wilma now, hard to believe. We seem to have lost fall this year. I'm still enjoying my cold salads, tho

Good for you on losing the 10 pounds! I've still got about 30 to go, but DH is at his ideal weight now. From what I've read, he can start graduating to larger portions now if he wants.

Yes, I eat a good bit of fish, chicken and lean meats. I aim for two 3-oz servings of lean meats a day, usually lunch and dinner. If I'm doing a big meat type dinner, like a roast or steaks, I'll have a meat-less lunch. I shoot for 3 to 5 servings of grains/carbs a day, 10 servings of fruits and veggies. I have milk with cereal in the morning and a wedge of cheese somewhere in the day. I try to keep a healthy ratio Omega 3's to Omega 6's, so I incorporate some walnuts or spinach into things I cook with olive or canola oil. Pesto is pretty easy to do that with. The rest is usually water, tea or wine and a piece of chocolate or another goodie once in a while. I've figured out how to fix my sweet cravings by making goodies with fruits or veggies in them.

I'm fairly new to herbal teas. Before July, if I ever had tea, it was what we call "sweet tea" here in the South. I've given that up. I tried a couple green teas at the supermarket and wasn't too impressed, but I didn't give up. I started checking specialty markets and we have a neat tea store at the mall which has been very educating. They have all the silver bins you shove your face in and smell, scales for measuring, books and kettles, music.

Right now, I'm drinking a peach roobois, iced; a Moroccan mint green tea, hot; a blend of Thai black and African red, both hot and iced; a Chinese white with dried honeydew, iced; and a nice warm jade oolong before bedtime. I love them all. The oolong blew me away...it cleared up every blemish on my body within a couple days! I just thought it tasted good, lol. It drives me crazy having to go to the mall, but I like that I can smell and see them before buying, talk to someone about different blends and sample them before buying. The prices aren't too crazy, either. It averages between $0.07 and $0.15 per cup. My mom and a friend go there, too, so between all of us, we're able to get what we want.

What kinds do you drink? Where do you get them? Have any luck with any online distributors?

Never made it to my bread this weekend Work's slow this week, so maybe I'll find some time. Discovered we have a rodent issue in the house this weekend, so I'm a little hesitant to leave any foods out anywhere until we get this taken care of. Not sure if it's mice or rats, but we live close to the ocean and a river and we have bamboo growing in our neighborhood, which evidently attracts both. Found something grey, long tail, rodent-looking flapping around in the commode on Saturday night trying to get out of the water...freaked me all out

Thanks again for the yogurt & flapjack ideas and I hope you have a great evening!

Lysne

P.S. Walking, yep, walk all the time. I walk two miles in the morning four times a week in my neighborhood, and I make a really conscious effort to park far when I run my errands or go to work, take the long way even around the house, i.e., chores, laundry, getting something from another room. Do you walk a lot?

Last edited by StenoLady1; 10-17-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by what is truth
    Honestly, that sounds like such a good diet

There aren't any faddy things to follow, it just sounds like eating healthily!

I mean, yeah, French people do seem to be really quite healthy, as are Italian people, and they all eat so healthily, but NORMALLY, instead of following some stupid "no this, no that" diet.

Not to mention the Far East have the lowest levels of Eating Disorders, and they're mostly a petite population, AND they've been eating Rice for thousands of years
    Hi, What is Truth

Yes, I'm very pleased. Nothing really faddy at all. The only things I've really seemed to cut out of my diet is fast food and stuff like cupcakes and pastries from the bakery. Saturated fats should be avoided or limited and partially hydrogenated oils should be eliminated, again, fast food and heavily processed foods. Portion size and a little bit of common sense goes a long way in losing weight with it, as well.

The Middle East consumes a lot of rice, as well. I lived two years over there and don't recall seeing nearly as many obese people as we have here in the States. I don't think rice and potatoes is why so many Americans struggle with weight. I think it's all the junk and fast food we've become addicted to.

But it is very time consuming eating this way. Lots of food prep is needed, even for the little things like salad dressing. I don't care for the fat free brands, and even the low fat has partially hydrogenated oils in them, so I make my own. They don't keep very long, so I have to make them often. Folks in these other countries don't work the hours we do, on average, and sit in front of the TV like we do. They have time to cook like this.

So it really is a whole lifestyle change, not just a diet thing. If I had a job or school commitment that kept me away from the kitchen from, say, seven in the morning until six, seven at night, I don't think I could do this. It's the most rewarding "diet" I've ever been on, tho, and I'm eating better-tasting, richer and much more balanced foods now than I ever have in my life, plus losing some weight

Lysne

Old 10-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Hi gals -

Is this diet fairly expensive? it seems like having to buy fresh ingredients and herbs for every meal tends to push the grocery bill up there.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjewell
    Hi gals -

Is this diet fairly expensive? it seems like having to buy fresh ingredients and herbs for every meal tends to push the grocery bill up there.
    Hi, MJ

Actually, compared to all the deli meals and meals in a box/bag I used to prepare or pizzas, I'm spending about one-third less than I did before.

Here's an example of a dinner I eat now, Roasted Basil Chicken:

4 lb whole chicken at grocery store, $3.98 (we'll get some leftovers for lunch out of this)
    One bunch of basil, $1.29
    Two teaspoons olive oil (nominal amount)
    Minced garlic (nominal amount)
    One Lemon, $0.50
    Salt & pepper (nominal amount)
    1 cup white cooking wine, $2.00 (it's four bucks per bottle, but I get two cups out of it)

I do brocolli with it, which was $1.49, but I'll get two dinners out of it.

Yukon gold potatoes, 1/4 bag (for two of us), $4.00 for the bag, so $1.00
    One onion, $0.80
    More garlic (nominal amount)
    Olive oil (nominal amount)
    Splash of lemon juice from above-mentioned lemon
    Splash of 99 % fat-free chicken broth (maybe $0.10)

Total price of dinner for two, with leftover chicken and brocolli: About $12.

Before eating this way, I used to hit the store once on Sundays for the "big trip". This would run me between 150 to $200. Then I'd hit the store maybe once or twice during the week, too, and spend about another 40. Now I go to the store every two or three days and spend between 20 and 40. All of the numbers include non-food items like pet food, paper products, light bulbs, etc.

Processed pre-packaged food is expensive! I have really noticed my pocketbook is a little heavier eating this way

Lysne

Old 10-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #15
    cad2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cad2 HB User

I honestly find it tons cheaper than any diet I have been on, I usually have enough for two meals, I just change them up a bit so they are completely different but same ingredients. I go to the farmers market which is by far much cheaper. Plus with all the fresh foods I don't seem to eat as much , I don't find myself quite as hungry. My husband says this is the best diet he has ever been on so much variety. The only thing that gets expensive is that I have been experimenting with many different wines so that can get pricy.

Closed Thread