It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Snacking

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
skittles411
(female)

skittles411 HB User
Snacking

I've always been the worst about snacking. I would go into the cabinet and eat something, but then if it was sweet I'd crave something salty, or if it was cheesey or meaty I'd crave something fruity, etc. etc.

When started college several years ago, my philosophy was "If you don't buy it, you can't eat it" (plus it saved money on a college budget). But now I would like to introduce some snack foods into my diet and try to eat them in moderation. However, I feel that having them around sends me back into the snack-snack-snack mode. I'll start with a healthy low calorie meal, but then I don't feel full afterwards, so I'll break off a piece of a cookie, then have a few chips, then eat some cereal, etc. etc. Or I'll just get a craving even when I'm not that hungry.

When I was doing the good diet/exercize thing, I would usually have a powerbar type thing or maybe some cereal for breakfast, yogurt and some fruit or yogurt and some cereal for lunch, and then either a frozen diet dinner or cook my own dinner. I've been really busy lately and haven't had time to cook my own food, which also means I rarely have time for 3 meals in a day. This also makes me want to snack more since I haven't had a real meal. Before I know it, I've consumed enough calories to have eaten a real meal but I still won't feel full. I tried getting things like carots to snack on, which does work a little bit, but I'm a big chips person, and always end up turning to them in the end.

I never buy ice cream because I know I'll go through it too fast, but I was at the health food store the other day and had to pick up a thing of soy ice cream. I ate almost 1/2 of it that night! (I was also feeling kind of depressed and we all know how good chocolate ice cream sounds when you're feeling depressed...)

So basically what I'm asking is this - how have you all been able to keep some snacks around but keep your apetite in check enough so that you're not snacking on your snacks all the time? Do you have any mental techniques to tell yourself that you don't really want to eat the snacks? I've tried that before but I'm not good at willing myself not do to things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 02:20 AM   #2
justanothagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Re: Snacking

Snacking isn't bad, at all. If you keep the portion sizes of your main meals small. Basically, all I do is snack, kind of. But I keep it healthy. Like what I might eat on a day is at 8.00 oatmeal (200 kcal), at 10 a fruitsalad (150 kcal), at 11 a yogurt (40 kcal), at twelve I might have 2 whole-grain crackers (60 kcal) with cottage cheese (60 kcal), an hour later I might have a soup (10 kcal), At 3 another yogurt (40), at 4 a grapefruit (90), at 4 a small portion chicken breast with salad (150), at 5 two egg white (35), at 6 a small portion of chicken breast with salad (250), at six-thirty I eat a little treat (50 kcal), then hit the gym... when I get back at 9 I have something like fruit or yogurt or crackers and protein which adds up to 250 kcal.

Altogether that adds up to 1335 of almost snacking alone. I eat lots of chewing gum (sugar free) during the day so it's not bad for my teeth. But this snacking keeps my metabolism up, and I like eating so I do it more often lol. Just in small portions. So here's an example of how you could do it. And just make yourself a little bit and when you wan't more, don't get it. Wait a bit and get some more later.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #3
skittles411
(female)

skittles411 HB User

That's an interesting way of doing things. I do like to have full meals though, so I dunno if I could do something like that all the time.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
JulieDe
(female)

JulieDe HB User

Some good snack foods are: prepackaged 100 calorie snacks (Nabisco has a good line out there), baby carrots and ff salad dressing, sugar free fudgsicles, lf or ff ice cream, frozen grapes, Baked potato chips (prepackaged again). I can come up with some more if you need, lol.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Moxie75
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Justanothergirl is on the money here with the smaller more frequent meals. The key here also is keep your foods to whole foods and not prepackaged processed foods (hidden calories and things that are just plain bad for you). Whole foods such as raw veggies or steamed veggies and fruits. Very lean protein in the size of a deck of cards and whole grains. Trust me they fill you up with fiber and the fruit will reduce cravings for bad sweets..Lisa

Closed Thread