It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Foods to avoid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
    K_i_s_k_a
    (female)

K_i_s_k_a HB User
    Question Foods to avoid

What are the foods that should be absolutely avoided if you want to lose weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
    sbdot
    (male)

sbdot HB User
    Re: Foods to avoid

High fat, high sugar, and highly refined grains.

Think of it like this; Which would help you feel full longer (and be better for you), a 300 calorie bowl of oatmeal or a 300 calorie donut?

sbdot

Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K_i_s_k_a
    What are the foods that should be absolutely avoided if you want to lose weight?
    Processed foods as there are hidden fats and salts in them..if man made it don't eat it..that's my MOTTO...Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 12-06-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Essentially anything High In Calories. Theoretically If you Eat 1500 calories a day of Broccoli or you eat 1500 Calories a day in French fries. You would Gain/Lose the same. Of Course With the Frech fries you would not eat as much an find yourself More hungry during the day and it would be very unhealthy to do. My Personal motto is to eat Anything in moderation....but I do Usually Stay completely away From Deep Fried Foods. As It is almost impoosible to stay within my calorie limit If I eat anything Deep Fried. that is not to say I wont grab a nibble here and there to satisfy myself. When My Wife and I go out to eat if she has French fries I will usually eat 2 or 3 from her plate.

I have mangaged to lose 36Lbs the last 3 months by following this.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
    WillandJill
    (male)

WillandJill HB User

When it comes to losing weight you don’t have to avoid any foods. As long as you burn more calories than you eat, you’ll lose weight. Depending on the number of calories you eat you’ll have to burn more (workout longer/harder), but that’s all.

eat 1,500 calories – burn 2,500 = weight loss
    eat 2,000 calories – burn 3,000 = weight loss
    eat 3,000 calories – burn 4,000 = weight loss

However there are certain foods you can avoid when cravings are a problem.

Some foods, high glycemic foods, can cause cravings and a hunger feeling. This hunger feeling is caused by a drop in your blood sugar after eating something high glycemic.

Low glycemic foods tend to suppress cravings or a hunger feeling because they do not cause a drop in your blood sugar.

Most (real) whole wheat products, vegetables and quite a lot of fruits are low glycemic. You can look online for more information on low glycemic foods and the glycemic index.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 AM   #6
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WillandJill

eat 1,500 calories – burn 2,500 = weight loss
    eat 2,000 calories – burn 3,000 = weight loss
    eat 3,000 calories – burn 4,000 = weight loss

Just to clarify: burn 2500, 3000, 4000 kcal does NOT mean burn that amount by doing sports.
    Just breathing, reading, etc. burns kcal too. For example, a person that has a stable weight while eating 2000kcal a day: this person burns 2000 kcal a day by daily activities, shopping, cooking, breathing, etc. so to lose weight, this person would have to burn EXTRA kcal, for example 500 a day, by doing sports etc.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:51 AM   #7
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User

nothing should be 'absolutely' avoided tho... I don't think so. Just limit them. Yeah what all of them said, processed, high sugar, high saturated/trans(!!!) fatty foods. It's not just that high glycemic foods cause hunger, but they also get stored as fat faster than slow carbs cos they don't get burned right away (unless you eat them before or after having been to the gym). So healthy foods do have better impact on metabolism as well. Like omega3-6 fats etc. And unhealthy foods are often bad for metabolism. Thought I'd add... Make sure ya balance it right. I'm personally against like low fat or low carb diets... Just balance it out.

Last edited by justanothagirl; 12-07-2005 at 04:01 AM.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I agree justanother,

there is NOTHING on my ABSOLUTELY AVOID list. A one day splurge eating NOTHING but Wedding Cake morning, noon, and night would be allowable for me <if I EVER could bear it or WANT it> as long as it is in a regimen of calorie control. By calorie control I mean at the end of every month I want my average caloric intake to be below 2300 calories, which is the level at which I lose about a pound a month.

In reality, the foods that I TRULY love that I avoid ALMOST completely except for EXTREMELY rare occasions are whipped cream and brie: bad for my calories, and worse, bad for my heart, and both are foods that once I start eating there is no power in Heaven or Earth that can stop me from eating and eating and EATING.

A joy of calorie counting is there are no ALWAYS and NEVER foods!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-07-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #9
    WillandJill
    (male)

WillandJill HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justanothagirl
    It's not just that high glycemic foods cause hunger, but they also get stored as fat faster than slow carbs cos they don't get burned right away (unless you eat them before or after having been to the gym).
    High glycemic foods are not stored as fat faster. They just influence your blood sugar levels different than low glycemic foods.

When it comes to gaining or losing weight it does not matter where the calories come from. All calories (fat, carb or protein calories) are converted to fat at the same rate. 300 calories from candy, 300 calories from fast food, and 300 calories from fruit or veggies will have the same effect on your weight. Of course they don't have the same effect on your health .

Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WillandJill
    High glycemic foods are not stored as fat faster. They just influence your blood sugar levels different than low glycemic foods.
    if your blood sugar gets too high your body starts storing fat because it doesn't need all that energy at once. where calories come from do matter because they have a different impact on your metabolism. you keep saying if you burn more than you eat blah blah... well you automatically burn more by eating the right foods and you metabolize them better. it isn't half as simple as you make it sound.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #11
    WillandJill
    (male)

WillandJill HB User

Quote:
    if your blood sugar gets too high your body starts storing fat because it doesn't need all that energy at once. where calories come from do matter because they have a different impact on your metabolism. you keep saying if you burn more than you eat blah blah... well you automatically burn more by eating the right foods and you metabolize them better. it isn't half as simple as you make it sound.
    Maybe this will help . A quote from my friend Walter.

I am very interested in the following: “you automatically burn more by eating the right foods and you metabolize them better”. Maybe you can explain how this process works.

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie

We eat food for two basic reasons, energy and chemical building blocks. The amount of energy a particular food can deliver to mitochondria is measured in calories. Technically, a food calorie is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a liter of water from 14.5 C to 15.5 C. Practically, a food calorie is the amount of energy a 150-pound person burns each minute while sleeping.
    If you read diet books or keep up with health and nutrition news, you’ve probably heard a lot about “fat calories” or “carbohydrate calories.” The idea that fat calories are different from carbohydrate calories came from studies done under extreme conditions, such as consuming pure carbohydrate, protein, or fat. In these situations, the body converts dietary fat to body fat a bit more efficiently than it does carbohydrate or protein.
    In a normal diet, though, your body converts all three to fat at the same rate. Like a kiss or a rose, a calorie is a calorie. So five hundred calories from ice cream, five hundred from red meat, and five hundred from pasta will have similar effects on your weight.
    This calorie blindness is the result of a neat solution to a vexing problem faced by some of earth’s early inhabitants – how to run a body on different fuels. Instead of having completely different intracellular systems for fats, carbohydrates, protein, and alcohol, the cells in your body use the same energy source.
    Much of what your eat is, or can be if needed, converted to the energy coin of the realm, a six-carbon sugar called glucose. When you eat, some of the glucose dumped into your bloodstream is used immediately by your cells. Some is linked into long chains called glycogen, and stored in your muscles and liver. Any leftovers are converted to fat and squirreled away in special fat storage cells and padded in between muscles. If glucose is like cash in your pocket, ready to be spent when needed, glycogen is money in the bank, available with a bit of effort, and fat is money tied up in stocks or mutual funds.
    - Eat, Drink and Be Healthy, W. C. Willett

Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:

willandjill is Correct.

a Calorie is a calorie not matter how you look at it. An actually it Is Completely as Simple as it sounds.

The Advice that people get that say is does matter Largely comes from People trying to Sell their NEW Fad Diet. Every Diet out there works on the Exact Same Principle.....Eat Less Calories then you consume.but If someone came up with a new diet and Advertised it like that ...It would not go anywhere...They Need to add something different to it to attract people to the diet. Every Fad diet is just another way to make you Eat Less then you burn.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #13
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User

Yeah right. So what you're saying is if two people were completely the same (identical twins), had the exact same lifestyle and genes. And one of them eats 2000 calories of cake, pie, donuts etc. and the other one eats 2000 calories of lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains... they would weigh the same and have the same bodyfat %? I find that pretty hard to believe...
    And I think if you eat better foods it helps maintain your muscle etc. which automatically makes you burn more. Okay, so I don't know how it works exactly but what you're saying makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
    WillandJill
    (male)

WillandJill HB User

I know it's hard to believe but it's all about the energy (calories); not where it comes from (healthy or unhealthy food) or how you burn it.

Every diet or program is based on burning more calories than you eat. No matter what the name of the diet or the program is.

Maybe this example helps you understand:
    A gallon of Regular gas will get you just as far as a gallon of Premium gas. The energy your car gets from both gasolines is exactly the same. Although there is no difference in energy (calorie) content and what you need to do to burn it, the Premium gas is supposed to be better (healthier) for your car.

And of course eating healthy is good for your health and increasing your muscle mass can help you burn more calories. But it does not change that losing weight is all about burning more calories (energy) than you eat.

I don't know if you like to read but W. Willett wrote a good and honest book on losing weight & eating healthy ("Eat, Drink and Be Healthy"). He doesn't tell you cool stories or try to sell you anything, he just explains the how's and why's on losing weight and eating healthy.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
    Yeah right. So what you're saying is if two people were completely the same (identical twins), had the exact same lifestyle and genes. And one of them eats 2000 calories of cake, pie, donuts etc. and the other one eats 2000 calories of lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains... they would weigh the same and have the same bodyfat %? I find that pretty hard to believe...
    And I think if you eat better foods it helps maintain your muscle etc. which automatically makes you burn more. Okay, so I don't know how it works exactly but what you're saying makes no sense whatsoever.

Actually It makes complete sense....and is the complete truth. Why do you think that there are Many Skinny People that eat crappy foods?

The Cake, Pie and Donut Diet would be Extremely Unhealthy. but if thats all you ate...and only ate 1200 calories.....you would lose weight.

Look at the Guy From Subway...He Lost a ton of Weight Eating Subs.....Lots of Bread and Lots of Processed Meats.

Do a Google search for "Weight Loss Myths" you will find a lot of things that many people advise is completely untrue.

Closed Thread