It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• "saving" calories & Salmon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
    Analysis1123
    (female)

Analysis1123 HB User
    "saving" calories & Salmon

Hey all!

I'm eating a good diet...however I want to keep my calorie intake no more than 1200-1500 per day. Is it ok and/or effective to save calories when I know I'm going to have a big dinner (ex: out with friends, drinks, etc). Does it have the same effect? Like last Sat night I had a dinner party and I ate oatmeal for breakfast, 1 egg for lunch and I saved the rest of the days calories for this dinner.

As for Salmon, I tried it today because my sister lives by it and I hear it's good for you. I liked it, however I used low cal mayonnaise and a little of it, yet after it didn't taste fishy or like Salmon. The flavor was masked. Did I still get the benefits of Salmon? Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
    s1mc7
    (female)

s1mc7 HB User
    Re: "saving" calories & Salmon

whether you eat all you calories in the morning..at night..or spread out throughout the day..it's the same either way..planning for a big meal by saving up calories is a great way to stay on track!

and yes, of course,you got the benefits of salmon..just because you added some mayo doesn't change the fact that you still ate the salmon

Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
    F.R.O.S.T
    Inactive
    (male)

F.R.O.S.T HB User

You do not want to "save" calories, it will just lead to binging when you get to the big meal, which will probably not be very healthy. And the flavour is irrelevent, you still ate salmon.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
    Berner
    Inactive
    (male)

Berner HB User

I'm with s1mc7 on this issue: I think its fine to "save" calories when you know you have big meals or social situations later in the day. It shouldn't be an every day habit, but for special instances its a perfectly valid strategy to stay within your calorie budget.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Salmon is very good for you as long as it's not fishy. That means it's not fresh. As for saving calories that could be a risk. I would eat several small meals and when it comes time to going out you will not want to over eat. I don't think one day of saving your calories will hurt but it could be a trigger for some to binge.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
    F.R.O.S.T
    Inactive
    (male)

F.R.O.S.T HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berner
    I think its fine to "save" calories when you know you have big meals or social situations later in the day.
    Like I said, if you don't save calories you wont eat as much at the big meal, it's embarrasing that people need to be told this.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
    Analysis1123
    (female)

Analysis1123 HB User

Then don't reply to me. We are all here to share and learn. Get over yourself.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:30 AM   #8
    F.R.O.S.T
    Inactive
    (male)

F.R.O.S.T HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Analysis1123
    Then don't reply to me. We are all here to share and learn. Get over yourself.
    I was sharing information, but you don't seem to want to learn judging by your attitude. Here's a suggestion, if you are going to come on here and ask a question, don't start complaining if someone gives you advice that you don't like.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I regularly "save" calories, if not BEFORE I know I'm going to eat a great deal (like a delicious buffet) then AFTER, the next meal or the day after that.
    What I aim for (and usually get) is a monthly caloric average in the range of 2200-2400 calories. Obviously, if I eat too many big meals there must be compensation somewhere lest my monthly average doesn't stand a chance.

If I do a late luncheon buffet (maybe 2-3PM), usually either Indian or Chinese/Japanese, I purposely go light on breakfast and have only soup for a late supper.

If I'm going to a restaurant at night I try to keep calories low throughout the day.

One must compensate somehow for big meals, unless one has achieved sainthood and never eats them.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-20-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
    Analysis1123
    (female)

Analysis1123 HB User

I agree Lenin, thank you for your reply. I've been reading that a lot of people save calories when they know they are having a big meal at night. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
    Berner
    Inactive
    (male)

Berner HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F.R.O.S.T
    Like I said, if you don't save calories you wont eat as much at the big meal, it's embarrasing that people need to be told this.
    The only thing that's embarrasing is that you feel the need to belittle those who have a different opinion than yourself. This would appear to be especially true since you are in the clear minority on this issue.

In any event, I value all of the opinions expressed on this message board. I find it insulting that you do not.

Last edited by Berner; 01-20-2006 at 08:25 AM.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
    shelliam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shelliam HB User

Quote:
    The only thing that's embarrasing is that you feel the need to belittle those who have a different opinion than yourself. This would appear to be especially true since you are in the clear minority on this issue.

In any event, I value all of the opinions expressed on this message board. I find it insulting that you do not.
    WELL SAID!

Old 01-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #13
    F.R.O.S.T
    Inactive
    (male)

F.R.O.S.T HB User

Quote:
    This would appear to be especially true since you are in the clear minority on this issue.
    I hope you do not seriously think that the majority is always correct (especially on an internet forum). What I said really is simple logic.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #14
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F.R.O.S.T
    I hope you do not seriously think that the majority is always correct (especially on an internet forum). What I said really is simple logic.
    I have to agree with what you said. Well, not entirely but for the most part. Of course when you're gonna have a big meal you will have to eat less during the day. However 1 bowl of oatmeal and 1 egg? What in the..? Talk about starvation and binging.. by the time you get to your dinner your blood sugar levels will have dropped enormously (with me this would have resulted to migraine + sick + hungry + puking when eating, im not diabetic or anything, very healthy.. just need food on a regular basis cos I'm very active), you will get hungry as hell and get a spike in your blood sugar when you start eating all that food which will cause fat gain....

blah blah blah calories in is calories out, please... eating frequently enhances your metabolism, which means when your calories in stay the same but you eat more often your calories out increase... and on the other notice, theres muscle, and then there's fat.... starve yourself, lose muscle water plus fat, binge, gain fat plus water... yeah you so want this to happen, please stop the calories in and calories out thing... sure it's true, but it ain't near half of the story

so anyway my advice is cut your calories to about 70 percent of what you would normally eat on a day... and you can eat 30 percent more during you dinner (so not a 20 percent 180 percent thing thats crazy)

there are always days that won't go exactly how you would wanna plan them, but you have to stay as consistant as you want and not keep making exceptions

Last edited by justanothagirl; 01-21-2006 at 05:41 AM.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
    s1mc7
    (female)

s1mc7 HB User

we're talking one day here...not starvation..your body DOES NOT go into starvation mode if you cut your calories for 1/2 a day.

if you eat healthy for 90% of the time, and want to eat a big meal once in a while without going overboard..going really low cal before that meal will not mess anything up.

Closed Thread