It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Gaining muscle but not losing fat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
    Switch96
    (female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
    Question Gaining muscle but not losing fat

I've come a long way in the past four years and I am quite happy. But now I'd like to take it to the next level. I've been lifting/running 2-6 times per week since summer and I've gained a lot of muscle weight. But goodness gracious, despite the cardio that I do I can not seem to lose the bit of fat around my lower stomach and legs. Everything else is starting to gain tone except for those spots. I know that spot reduction is a myth, but I know that old fat tends to be the most difficult to get rid of. What should I do to get rid of these stubborn deposits? I've fixed my diet, I no longer eat fast food, and I do at least 30 minutes of cardio 4-6 days per week and it's just going a bit slow. What have some of you had success with?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
    F.R.O.S.T
    Inactive
    (male)

F.R.O.S.T HB User
    Re: Gaining muscle but not losing fat

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipermac
    more cardio and less Weights
    I say keep up the weights, it will help to prevent muscle loss.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Continue to push the muscles hard especially strength training, but lower your caloric intake somewhat...maybe 200 calories less?
    I am getting very slow results doing that, HARD workouts, and "converting" fat to muscle. By that I mean I am SLOWLY burning off fat gram by gram while adding muscle MILLIGRAM by MILLIGRAM
    Perhaps I'm losing a pound a month.

Net is my weight is holding steady but I'm building muscle and people keep commenting on my wonderful weight loss (same old 203#...6'2")...I'm happy with the state of affairs. Caloric intake 2300 kcal./day!

I am PRAYING for the switch to Size 34 pants and wouldn't mind a weight of 195...but if it takes a year or NEVER comes, that's fine!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-24-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
    Switch96
    (female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User

Hey congratulations on your success!

A pound per month you say? Guess I'll have to be a bit more patient. Good luck with your pursuits.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
    CollegeChick
    (female)

CollegeChick HB User

gaining muscle is a good thing, since it burns more calories than fat! but like others have said, you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. do you know that you're not losing fat? are you measuring your fat and muscle weight?

here's what i would suggest so you can accurately assess your diet and exercise. first, buy a set of fat calipers or a scale that will measure your body fat%. from this, calculate your lean body mass (LBM). this is really easy to do with some simple math. if you weigh 200 lbs and you measured your body fat as 30%, your fat weight is: 200(0.35)=70lbs. the other 130 lbs (200-70) is your LBM.

each week, measure your body fat % and calculate your fat lbs and LBM, then compare them to the values you go the week before. ideally, you want to keep or increase LBM while losing fat. since you can't lose fat and increase LBM at the same time, work on losing fat first by following these suggestions depending on the changes in your LBM and lbs of fat:

if there is no change in LBM or body fat, increase your cardio LEVEL (don't workout longer, but workout harder), and decrease your calories by 100-200.

if LBM is the same, but body fat increases you're eating too many calories. therefore, you should increase the frequency and duration of cardio and decrease caloric intake by 100-200.

if LBM and body fat decrease, you will see a reduction in weight on the scale, but you're losing muscle! you want to eat 100-200 calories more so you don't lose more LBM in the next week. try to make these calories lean proteins. remember, more muscle actually increases your metabolism since it burns calories just by being there.

if LBM increases but your body fat stays the same, you're just gaining muscle. to lose more fat in the following week, increase your cardio.

lastly, if your LBM is the same and your body fat decreases, you're doing something right for your body. don't change your workout/eating habits as you're successfully losing fat without losing any muscle.

in the end, you'll probably end up eating more calories than you thought in order to keep a lean body, which is great. you don't want to kill your metabolism by working out too much and eating too little in your quest to lose weight. in most healthy, naturally thin people, you'll notice that they can eat a lot and stay thin without being in the gym for hours a day. with these suggestions, you should be able to achieve similar results. good luck!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

THat's the old "DYNAMIC TENSION" routine espoused during the 50's by Charles Atllas...there's SOMETHING to it.

Alas, that tight contraction without motion (Isometric) can play havoc on the attaching tendons.

I use it occasionally on my thighs and buttocks but really when I do my thighs that way my knees ache the next day!...Olde Farte Blues!

Every little bit helps

Closed Thread