It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Veggie Cals?...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
s1mc7
(female)

s1mc7 HB User
Veggie Cals?...

I've read/heard that some vegetable calories shouldn't/aren't counted in a persons daily caloric intake...why is this?? should i not include raw vegetable calories?? or only certain vegetables??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
pipermac
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User
Re: Veggie Cals?...

Generally it is just that they ar so low in calories that you shouldnt worry about calculating them.ITs not that they are any different. I think it is more to encourage people to eat more of them.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
KrFr
(female)

KrFr HB User

They say some veggies are negative calorie foods (the body uses more calories to digest them than they contain) but I don't know if that is true or not. There was a very popular soup diet YEARS ago that periodically makes a re-appearance. It is suppose to be a negative calorie food. It is pretty bland and you get very tired of the soup very quickly.

Veggies are great though. With a few exceptions and no additions (butter, sour cream etc) you can probably eat all you want.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

All calories should be counted or else you aren't counting calories. It's that simple.

The next step would be to discount the calories of cake icing that you lick off the beater ...or all those "broken" pieces on the bottom of a nut can! A slippery slope!

I've HATED the idea but had to face facts and add 100 calories per day to account for my supplements: Lecithin and cod liver oil capsules. But a calorie is a calorie even if it's good for us!

Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Berner
Inactive
(male)

Berner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I've HATED the idea but had to face facts and add 100 calories per day to account for my supplements: Lecithin and cod liver oil capsules. But a calorie is a calorie even if it's good for us!
I felt the same way about counting the calories in flaxseed meal. I mean, the stuff is so good for you in so many ways that if life was fair it wouldn't have any calories. But it does ...

Old 01-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
CollegeChick
(female)

CollegeChick HB User

it's true that many vegetables have very few calories, but you have to be careful of which ones those are. dark, leafy green veggies (bok choi, lettuce, broccoli, etc.) have so few calories and so much fiber that you can eat your fill of them without making much of a caloric dent, adding up to no more than 30 cals if you completely stuffed yourself. so a regular serving of these types of veggies adds up to nearly nothing. be careful of other vegetables such as corn and potatoes, as these are starches and higher in calories.

Closed Thread