It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

What do you feed your sweet tooth?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User
What do you feed your sweet tooth?

From a confessed sweet tooth, I allow myself Go Lightly chews (sugar free candy). I'm also finding many brands are now offering s/f alternatives.

I also sometimes have a Pria Bar (Vanilla, mmm).

I do have to be careful cuz I can pig out on anything sweet. Major trigger food for me, so I reach first for fruit, then for a fake sweet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: What do you feed your sweet tooth?

When I stopped with artificial sweeteners and finally had a little bit of sugar, I found my cravings got "in check" and I was actually satisfied.

Most of my sweets I make: Fat-free, low-cal key lime pie made with an oatmeal cereal crust; zucchini bread; low-fat, low-cal cookies; fat-free, low-cal gingerbread brownies.

I also like frozen yogurt, sherbert and the Lite Bear Klondike bars when the weather warms up.

Once in a while, dark chocolate with a nice wine

Old 01-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Ding
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

what i do is allow myself a hot chocolate every night, but i make it quite weak and with half water/half milk. that way i find that i'm not completely depriving myself of sweet things, but i'm not going over board with the calories. plus, as its hot and liquid it fills you up quite well and puts an end to craving more sugar. its also comforting and is a good end to the day.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding
what i do is allow myself a hot chocolate every night, but i make it quite weak and with half water/half milk. that way i find that i'm not completely depriving myself of sweet things, but i'm not going over board with the calories. plus, as its hot and liquid it fills you up quite well and puts an end to craving more sugar. its also comforting and is a good end to the day.
Brilliant! Thanks for the tip, Ding I knew there was something "missing" from my life, LOL. I saw on the grocery shelf last time there was a Hershey's Cocoa unsweetened powder with that magic "70 percent" number. Hmm...I used to make hot cocoa with the old fashioned Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa. Wonder if I could use this one instead and get some antioxidants, as well

Old 01-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Natalie00
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

just be careful with the sugar free chocolates, gummies and hard candies, they can cause laxative effect and cause major gas!

Old 01-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
HBOGirl
(female)

HBOGirl HB User

I have sugar free popsicles and every now and again I will have 1 Now&Later candy. One is just enough to ease my craving for something sweet.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Fabat40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Oh girl, the other day, I was ssssooooo craving for New York cheesecake YUM!!! but I grabbed my sugar-free Jello instead.

LOL But I do give in to my cheesecake craving about twice a year.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Fabat40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBOGirl
I have sugar free popsicles
Oh, great idea!

Old 02-01-2006, 04:36 AM   #9
Acemartini
(female)

Acemartini HB User

Steno Lady -
I must ask - how do you make your fat-free low-cal key lime pie? I love key lime pie!

Last edited by Acemartini; 02-01-2006 at 04:37 AM.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
Holly4k9
(female)

Holly4k9 HB User

Dairy Queen has great fudge and cream Popsicles that are low in calorie and fat. If you follow WW they are 1 point.

I also have some sugar free low cal hard candies that help a bit.

Being a woman. I have raging hormones once a month. I HAVE to have chocolate. so far I have only had about 8 smarties this time around... I am doing good. It is all about will power.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemartini
Steno Lady -
I must ask - how do you make your fat-free low-cal key lime pie? I love key lime pie!
Hey, Acemartini (great name, BTW!)

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients for Coconut Crunch Pie Crust:
2-3 cups of Quaker Toasted Oatmeal cereal or Oatmeal Crisp w/Almonds cereal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fat-free egg substitute
1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
Nonstick cooking spray

Ingredients for Key Lime Filling:
1 14oz can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 8oz block fat-free cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup key lime juice

To make crust:

Preheat oven to 350.

Put cereal in a blender and process until it's fine crumbs. Measure the crumbs. You'll need 1 cup of powdered crumbs. You may need to blend a little more cereal to get to 1 cup (about 2 1/2 works for me to get 1 cup powdered.)

Put crumbs in a small to medium bowl and add sugar. Stir well. Add egg substitute and stir until mixture is moist and crumbly. Add coconut and stir until mixed.

Coat a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray and use back of a spoon to press mixture against the bottom and sides of the dish, forming an even crust. (Periodically dip the spoon in sugar, if necessary, to prevent sticking.)

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until edges feel firm and dry. Cool completely to room temperature before filling.

To make filling:

Put condensed milk and cream cheese in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add lime juice and mix until well blended.

Pour filling into crust. Cover and chill for at least eight hours or overnight before cutting into wedges and serving.

Tips:
I had a hard time finding key lime juice. I found it at my grocery next to the lemon juice bottles. There's a good one from Key West.

The crust will have a graham cracker soft crust texture. It's not real firm. I added more Egg Beaters once (not much extra at all; just a little overflow), and it made the crust terrible! It was really, really hard and crunchy. Use exactly one tablespoon.

My hubby mentioned the inside corners of the pie are too crusty. Next time, I might not put as much crumb mixture in the pie dish, at least not in that bottom corner rim. I'd still follow the recipe, tho, and just discard maybe a tablespoon or two once it's prepared.

I find it easiest to make the crust in the morning, let it cool all day, then do the filling early evening/late afternoon and put in the fridge overnight for dessert the following evening after the day of making it

I'm sure this crust would be great with other no-bake pies, but I haven't tried any yet. The cookbook says not to use it with any filling that needs to be cooked. I'm a big lover of cheesecake, so I may need to do some experimenting one day with a no-bake cheesecake

Bon Appetite!

Lysne

Old 02-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
s1mc7
(female)

s1mc7 HB User

fat-free no-sugar added rasberry ice cream..DELICIOUS!!

Old 02-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
bout the only thing I can think of for a sweet tooth is the ol'e favorite suger-free jello...lol make different things with it, pop cycles...add sugar-free fruitcocktail(drain) just experinment with it.
I can't eat sweets and diet...with the exception I save up for a cheat day once a month and have what ever I want and eat what ever I want..the next day go back to the dieting...I have did this a long time and I never gain from it.
A Dr friend of mine told me this believe it or not....He said when you get that erge to eat something sweet when your dieting and afraid it will mess up your diet /or throw you off...he said eat chocolate? thats right like a hershey's milk chocolate bar with almonds...just a small one 1.45 oz sure there pretty hi in calories something like 230 calories and 130 from fat hi in carbs..but what this does is curb your sweet tooth...and if that satisfies you...what they heck...what sweets aint high in calories and high in carbs other than the sugar- free sweet craze?...just about all good yammy sweet things we love we all know we need to stay away from...but there execeptions to the rule...he he he
Good Luck everyone!

Old 02-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #14
Acemartini
(female)

Acemartini HB User

Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely try it.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
windycitygal

windycitygal HB User

I love to eat fat free cool whip with blueberries or any berries. This does it for me!

Closed Thread