It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Weightloss Overseas

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2006, 03:47 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

k@t HB User
Question Weightloss Overseas

Hello,

I'm new to the board, but it looks like a great place to get help and support. Ok so here is my problem. I am an American but I live in Portugal. Portuguese are very sensitive about their food and make almost everything from scratch. It's very difficult to find any thing thatís pre packaged or thatís targeted for weight loss. There are no salad dressings (I make my own vinaigrettes) there are no light or low fat products, low carb, no lean cuisines, no canned soups or foods, no boxed foods etc.

What I would like to know, is if any one has some yummy quick recipes from scratch. Cooking from scratch can take a long time to prepare and I'm so tired at night that I just end up eating out or ordering pizza or something as equally unhealthy. If I could find a few good quick recipes it would be really helpful.

I'm not on any particular diet at the moment (although I have pretty much done them all) I'm just hoping that with some sensible eating and some exercise I can take off some weight (I need to loose about 50lbs.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Natalie00
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: Weightloss Overseas

Hey

there are some great recipes in the south beach diet books. I believe there are two cookbooks out and they are healthy recipes. Also, the sonoma diet book has some good recipes. What kind of recipes are you looking for? There are a lot of websites where you can find healty ones.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
this is in no way to help you lose weight but its not to bad either if you don't eat to much of it.

Try this if you like stuff made eazy, cut pack of winneis in bout 1/4 size pieses add chopped onions,celery, carrots in a skillet (oilive oil) simmer til golden brown,then add about 2 or 3 12 oz cans of campbell's pork-n- beans..... add as much as you like of> whinchtershires sauce, ketchup little bit of louisiana hot sauce, season to taste, let simmer about 5 minutes low heat,.... then mix a pack of mexican /and regular yellow corn meal mix,"instant'' mixes, pour mix of the corn bread in a deep baking pan,then pour the other ingredents in to middle of the corn meal mix right direct in the center of the mix, bake bout 20 -25 minutes or until the corn bread is done...its simple to fix and most kids love it.

I'm
still a pretty big kid and I love....just spoon out how much you want...if you like it just don't eat to much of it.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
sammyboy22
(male)

sammyboy22 HB User

Well, I would just watch my portions and make sure I get plenty of water and exercise. At least if you are eating all those foods in Portugal and they are made from scratch, you know they are fresh and not full of preservatives or processed. I heard about the way french people eat all of those delicious rich foods and stay so thin is portion control and exercise, they walk almost everywhere. I think there is even a diet book about it, I saw the creator on Oprah, lol.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I agree with Sammy. Watch your portions, walk, walk, walk. Be thankful you don't have processed foods!

The only thing I would add to what Sammy said is learn from the Portuguese WOE. You are really extremely lucky to have this opportunity to see how other cultures live without all the different dieting BS. You said there's no diet foods there, no Lean Cuisines, no low-carb, no low-fat...out of curiosity, how many obese Portuguese do you see there compared to here in the States?

Not only is there the French Diet, but there's the Omega Plan and many new "Mediterranean diets" in the bookstores now.

No offense, but rather than coming to a message board with mostly overweight Americans/English and Austrailians asking for recipes, why aren't you down at that pizzeria or the cafe you maybe enjoy asking them for recipes? Take this opportunity to really learn how to make and enjoy meals from scratch (whether they take a long time or not) from the locals who have thrived on this WOL for so long.

You are very lucky. I'd trade with you in a minute to REALLY learn how it's done in Europe, see it, smell it, talk with the chef about the differences in ingredients. If anything, I want your recipes when you come back thin!

Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

k@t HB User

Hey thanks for some of the tips. I do have the south beach cook books and have tried some of the recipes, again its just the time issue.

About Portuguese food, well they actually don't eat very healthy at all. They use olive oil, butter, garlic, and sea salt (lots of salt) in everything, and its usually always drenched in cream sauces or oils.

They like to eat lots of fried potatoes and pasta and rice and bread. No matter what restraunt you go to, whatever meal you order, you will never get vegtables and there is always a big basket of bread on the table. You usually get to pick between fries or rice as a side dish, and some times they bring both. Sometimes you can order a salad that usually only has lettecue and onion. But not all restraunts serve salads.

Traditional dishes always include meats that have been fried or boiled as well as lots of sausages and cheeses. My father in law runs two restraunts and I know both of the chefs and what types of food they cook. In fact they usually cook special food for me when I come because I can't stomach all the oil and cream sauce. Traditional portugese food is usually greasy and fatty. The one healthy thing they do have is fish, Portuguese like to eat lots of fish but they usually drown it in olive oil or cream sauce. The only other way they cook it is boiled. And on top of all that, I don't eat fish, I don't like it.

Using all natural ingrediants is nice, however it means u have to use bad stuff to get good flavor like butter and salt. But that wasen't my point, my point was that these things take to long to prepare. I wanted quick recipes that are from scratch. Most quick recipes call for canned soups or packets of season mixes, and that stuff isn't avilable here. For example Chevyman's recipe. Of all the things he listed, the only thing we have here is ketchup and sausages. And they aren't Oscar Myer hot dogs either. Ohh and carrots.

So, Stenolady, no offense to you, but you should have done a bit more research about Portuguese food before you made a comment like that. And I won't be coming back to the states, I live here. My husband is Portuguese. And the number of fat Portuguese people is on the rise. It use to be people could eat all this stuff, but they worked the land and exercised a lot so it didn't matter. The children in this country, and all over Europe for that matter are getting heavier and heavier and it's because they continue to eat the same fatty foods with less exercise. It's actually quiet a big issue over here at the moment.

With that being said, if any one has any quick recipes using natural ingrediants I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Closed Thread