It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

which is better?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
which is better?

hi,
Me and my g/f fight at the grocery store a lot!, bout name brands, she prefers the top name brands and I prefer the store brands? compared to the additives they seem to be the same to me? the only thing is > usually the store brand is cheaper, she says the name brands are better for me? and she's not the one dieting...I am.
whats your opinions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
wiredqs
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User
Re: which is better?

Many times they are the same, just the store brands have no advertising costs. Most of the time it's a matter of personal taste.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Holly4k9
(female)

Holly4k9 HB User

Exactly as said above. I always compare and I usually find that the store brand is less in calories and fat..

Old 02-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yup... It's funny, because many store brands are made in the exact same place, and then just packaged with a different outer box. I've bought store brands of certain foods from several different stores, and they all have different outer boxes, but the interior packaging and product is exactly the same. And it's all pretty much the same as the name brand. Occassionally, you will find some products that there is a difference between then name brand and the store brand and you might prefer the taste of one over the other. But the vast majority of the time there is no difference at all. And when there is a difference, it's generally not in nutritional value, but slight variations in taste or texture.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Fabat40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredqs
Many times they are the same, just the store brands have no advertising costs. Most of the time it's a matter of personal taste.

Ditto.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I buy for price and unless I find the cheaper brand less palatable. FOr prepared foods that are expected to be a full meal, then taste becomes much more important.
Examples might be, I'll buy ShopRite or America's Choice (A&P) canned beets or cream soups or Fakeeios (instead of Cheerios) over the pricier DelMonaco or General Foods or another brand.
But for a Lasagna, The only one that is good enough to eat is Stouffer's. Same for TV dinner's (only Hungry Man...again by Stouffer's... is edible enough.)

I;m speaking purely from a dieting perspective and don;t concern myself much about the nutrition as long as the protein is high enough and the fats low enough....and the calories reasonalbe.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:01 AM   #7
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

The only thing that makes me hesitate about the store brands is this undercover special our local news put out a year or so ago. They went to one of our local, big-chain grocery stores with a hidden camera. They were focusing mainly on meat products, a turkey that I remember specifically. The brand name was packaged in such a way that the expiration date couldn't be tampered with. The store brand turkeys had stickers placed on them numerous times to cover the old expiration dates with new ones. The store had other infractions like this with other foods (cheese was one, too, and I think a Hormel pork tenderloin versus the ones packaged in the store), but the turkey stuck in my mind because I remembered once growing up, Thanksgiving morning, my mom opening up a turkey that was obviously very bad, smelled the house up all day, and it had a good expiration date on it. I saw that news special and couldn't help but wonder.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
cookiepls
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Exclamation Re: which is better?

I know exactly what you're talking about StenoLady. Years ago I worked for a major grocery chain in the fresh seafood dept. Our seafood and fish shipments came in once a week. We would display this stuff in the glass case on top of ice each day, then store it in baggies over ice each evening. Near the end of a week, the fish would start to get a little slimy. That's when we were told to repackage it and put it out in the meat/fish counter where all the other packaged meats were. We put that day's date on the packages even though the fish was almost a week old. Needless to say, I didn't work there long. It made me sick and disgusted. When I shop for fresh seafood or fish these days, I know how to tell if it's a fresh shipment. That's the only time I'll buy it.

When it comes to store brand packaged foods like frozen (not meats) or canned foods, or cereals and juices, they're great. In fact, I prefer some of the store brands over the name brands. I would definitely avoid the packaged meat/seafood counter when it comes to store brands though.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
I know exactly what you're talking about StenoLady. Years ago I worked for a major grocery chain in the fresh seafood dept. Our seafood and fish shipments came in once a week. We would display this stuff in the glass case on top of ice each day, then store it in baggies over ice each evening. Near the end of a week, the fish would start to get a little slimy. That's when we were told to repackage it and put it out in the meat/fish counter where all the other packaged meats were. We put that day's date on the packages even though the fish was almost a week old. Needless to say, I didn't work there long. It made me sick and disgusted. When I shop for fresh seafood or fish these days, I know how to tell if it's a fresh shipment. That's the only time I'll buy it.

When it comes to store brand packaged foods like frozen (not meats) or canned foods, or cereals and juices, they're great. In fact, I prefer some of the store brands over the name brands. I would definitely avoid the packaged meat/seafood counter when it comes to store brands though.
Oh, that fish story is horrible!!! I've seen those frozen filets, too, you're talking about in the meat cases...eek! The seafood/fish just doesn't smell right in our grocery stores. I live on the water, tho, and generally buy my fish right from the boats when they dock. By the time they hit the grocery store, I think they're a bit stinky, slimy and just not looking as good as what I'm used to. Hubby loves to fish, too, so mostly we eat what he catches...if only he could bring home more redfish! He catches a ton of trout, tho, which freezes beautifully

I agree with you about the other foods. I buy the store-brand coffee versus the regular, and it's awesome, plus it saves me about seven bucks per pound.

Thanks for passing that along about the fish. I hope others read this!

Old 02-13-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Acemartini
(female)

Acemartini HB User

I have found that store brand OTC drugs definitely taste differently, this must be where they save money!
I have purchases canned fruit & noticed the "size" was the same as name brand. However, there was ALOT more liquid then there was fruit compared to name brand.
My husband & kids prefer generic mac & cheese.
That's my 2 cents.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I guess its all bout the same cept the price?

Anyway ''Pipermac'' if you see this post where do you find them "yam yam noddles"????
I've look and look for them can't find them in three different grocery stores?
in the asian section/oriental descent sec? I can't find them?

Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
auntjudyg
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

chevyman, It's already been said, but absolutely many house brands are identical to major brands. Many years ago, a grocer told my mother that the house brand (A&P) of dairy products were produced by Hood (a major dairy in the area). Recently, one of the Stonyfield yogurt containers at my local grocery store came in with a Trader Joe's lid on it! (Guess who makes Trader Joe's yogurt?) It's the same with other products, especially with house brands. The grocery stores are not going out and producing this stuff themselves. They get a major brand to sell to them cheaper because they buy in quantity.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:26 AM   #13
auntjudyg
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Oh, yam noodles . . . do you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats near you? Or a health food store might have them.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #14
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
chevyman, It's already been said, but absolutely many house brands are identical to major brands. Many years ago, a grocer told my mother that the house brand (A&P) of dairy products were produced by Hood (a major dairy in the area). Recently, one of the Stonyfield yogurt containers at my local grocery store came in with a Trader Joe's lid on it! (Guess who makes Trader Joe's yogurt?) It's the same with other products, especially with house brands. The grocery stores are not going out and producing this stuff themselves. They get a major brand to sell to them cheaper because they buy in quantity.
Oh ok thank you, auntjudyg.

Closed Thread