It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• High Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea - Best Weight Loss Diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User
    High Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea - Best Weight Loss Diet?

Hi I'm 29 and life is starting to kick me in the butt already! Too much fast food over the years... I have high blood pressure, high triglycerides (570!), sleep apnea (also major cause of high blood pressure), as well as moderately high cholesterol, very low good cholesterol, and moderately high blood sugar levels. Some tell me a low fat diet, others say that doesn't work, to focus on low carb. I am 5'8" and 230lbs, I am mostly concerned about returning my levels to normal *and* reducing the fat in my throat and chin to help with sleep apnea (in addition to CPAP and nasal surgery). What type of diet would be good for me? And how do I determine what numbers are good? (Like how much fat/carbs/calories/fibers/etc per day.) Is there somewhere on the net I can read to learn more about the difference between cholestorol, triglycerides, fat and calories??

Thanks,

Neofree

Last edited by Neofree; 02-13-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: High Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea - Best Weight Loss Diet?

I would go low fat, since you are concerned about your cholesterol. I actually just saw something on the news today about a study between low carb and low fat diets. Initially, low carb lost more, but after some period of time, the weight loss was equal between groups and the low fat dieters had lower cholesterol than the low carb ones.

Start by focusing on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. Also, portion control is huge. Read labels and figure out what a serving size is. Start being conscious of how many calories you are eating in a day. Cut out soda and alcohol, which are sources of empty calories. Reduce fried, creamy, foods, and desserts. And exercise... even if it's just going for a 20 minute walk every day.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User
    Re: High Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea - Best Weight Loss Diet?

So what is considered low fat? How many grams per day? And are you saying if I stick with low fat and watch my calories, I wouldn't need to be too concerned about carbs? I understand eat natural over processed foods, but with two small kids and the wife also having fatigue and health issues now too, we often eat out or get very easy to make food from the store, such as microwavable meals. If we cook it ourselves the dishes just sit there for at least a week. Hoping to have more energy after getting sleep apnea under control. I've been eating mostly salads and chicken sandwiches whenever I do eat out though. Much better then the typical double cheeseburger and fries, or entire pizza!!

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

I just heard on the news.. low fat dieting is consuming to much fats (based on a study of premenopause women? don't know bout men?

I suggets you go see your Dr, and get a check up before going on any type of diet.

heres what I do, ''count calories'' low calorie diet about 15 to 1800 daily, that way you can have just bout anything you want in the low calorie vacinity, anything thats low cal, fat free or sugar free serving size...eat say 400 cal for breakfast 5oo for dinner then this leaves you room for a pretty big supper, and fruits during the day to curb your hunger...remember when your hungry thats when your burning calories and loseing weight.
    exercise every chance you can also...that helps.
    but going from a hi calories/hi carb eating to very low calories will not be to eazy, but you can do if i Can do it... theres other diets out there too thats your your choice.
    but if I were you be safe go see a Dr.
    good luck to you.

Last edited by chevyman; 02-13-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
    Kaycee41
    (female)

Kaycee41 HB User

I wouldn't go low carb or low fat. Our bodies need both, but it's the right kind of fats and carbs. Avoid, at all costs, trans fat...anything that says it has hydrogenated oils. Most processed foods are loaded. Use instead, olive oil or other veg. oils that are more heart healthy. Carbs can raise trig. levels. Avoid processed carbs like baked goods, candy, sugar, etc. Eat healthy carbs like fruit. Best approach is to eat healthy foods when possible and avoid the junk food. Stay away from fast food. Cut down on the amount of food you eat. Excercise is important in maintaining low blood pressure and low trig. You don't have to run a marathon, but try to move more throughout the day. I invested in a treadmill a few years ago and I walk 25-30 min. every day. I know you're proabably heard it a thousand times before, but it is true....you have to make lifestyle changes that you can stick with for the rest of your life. Crash diets don't work and not eating certain groups of foods (like carbs) can't be maintained for a lifetime. Make good food choices most of the time. Pretty soon, it becomes second nature. Good luck...you are lucky that you are making changes while you are young and before serious health problems have occurred.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

IMHO, the first step is getting off fast food. Keep refined (white bread, pasta, etc.) and processed (most prepared) foods to a minimum. Get more veggies and fruits into your diet.

This will involve preparing food yourself, which can be quite a change (organizing time, shopping, etc.). And since we all have busy times, investigate healthy options you can get quickly, for times you are busy.

I'd work on this first before you get worried about how much fat, how many carbs, etc. That's enough to think about at first.

Why not post possible menu plans.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

Well it sounds like I just need to make healthier choices all the time and if I count anything count calories... OK sounds easy enough. I will try and excersize after I get my sleep problem fixed.

auntjudyg:

All sounds great but I would end up eating the same thing everyday so that I can quickly make things. Whenever I had to make lunch for work I did exactly that, had ham and cheese sandwich and chips every single day - for years. I cannot handle learning to make foods and stuff, and the kicker is my wife has the same difficulty most of the time! We just dont have time. Sure we can make food everynight but I *guarantee* you the dishes will sit there for at least a week. And you can say just get up and do it but it's just that kids run us crazy all day *AND* night we're exhausted all the time. It's not just the kids, we both have health problems that are making us tired every day. That said, fast food and microwavable meals are really hard to avoid right now. At least I am already making a lot better choices when I do eat them though.. That has been a big change already.

Thanks,

Neofree

Last edited by Neofree; 02-14-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
    jo5086
    Inactive
    (female)

jo5086 HB User

it seems to me you are aware that you should be geting healthy but you won't take the steps to do it. excuses such as 'i'm tired' or 'the kids' are definitely valid, but are none the less excuses. you have to make time to be healthy....trade off watching tv to cook/do dishes, or have one of you play with the kids and the other cook/clean and alternate it. regardless of how you do it once you start eating better, you will feel better and your kids may have parents longer.

my father was in the risk zone of high blood pressure. he refused to go on meds, changed his eating habits, and 3 monhs later is in the normal range (maintaining this fo over a year). he limited coffee to one cup /day, juiced veggies for breakfast and had eggs, a sandwhich , fruit and veggies for lunch, and a meat or fish for dinner with veggies. that's it. no counting calories, no huge worries.

you need to not eat chips every day for lunch and you need to throw out microwaveable food-they are the 'food devil' and they will make you sick/sicker. it doesn't take long to cook rice and chicken and a veggie.
    you owe it to your kids not o have a heart attack or worse.

you sound like you want to change but are in a rut as to how. it will be hard at first and you will need to do good planning and preperation, but it will be worth it.

good luck

Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

When I speak of microwavable foods I mean like Lean Cuisine that has low calories and fat.. When I go to Wendy's or Sonic for example, I almost always get a salad now..

Sure yeah might be excuses, but it's still very hard right now. One of us can't handle *both* of the kids. It takes one parent for each kid to keep up with them. At 9 or so when they're in bed we're so exhausted we cant do much else.

I *have* made changes though! I used to smoke, drink coffee, drink lots of soda, eat double cheeseburgers with fries, eat *entire* pizza's, eat large order of chicken wings *and* fries, ALL THE TIME. Now I don't smoke, I don't drink coffee. I'm down to 1 diet soda per day and I havent even had one yet today. I don't eat hamburgers or pizza or fries. I only eat things like chicken wings once a week. I eat salads everyday for lunch. It just when it comes to *making* food that is too much to ask right now.

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neofree
    When I speak of microwavable foods I mean like Lean Cuisine that has low calories and fat.. When I go to Wendy's or Sonic for example, I almost always get a salad now..

Sure yeah might be excuses, but it's still very hard right now. One of us can't handle *both* of the kids. It takes one parent for each kid to keep up with them. At 9 or so when they're in bed we're so exhausted we cant do much else.

I *have* made changes though! I used to smoke, drink coffee, drink lots of soda, eat double cheeseburgers with fries, eat *entire* pizza's, eat large order of chicken wings *and* fries, ALL THE TIME. Now I don't smoke, I don't drink coffee. I'm down to 1 diet soda per day and I havent even had one yet today. I don't eat hamburgers or pizza or fries. I only eat things like chicken wings once a week. I eat salads everyday for lunch. It just when it comes to *making* food that is too much to ask right now.

Thanks,

Neofree
    Hi, Neo

You've made great changes so far. The smoking alone is a big one -- and one I believe contributes more to heart disease than cholesterol...but that's another thread

It is hard to change the way you/me/we have been used to eating. We're venting about how hard it is to find nutritious foods in the grocery stores and restaurants over in the diet and nutrition boards.

I was diagnosed with high cholesterol last summer. My diet was very similar to yours, lots of fast food, wings, buckets of soda, pizza, and no exercise. You can do this. It takes time. You'll need to make a lifestyle change, and this can't be done overnight. Look at what you're already doing! You've made some fantastic changes.

You definitely don't have to eat the same foods over and over to lose weight and get better numbers. If anything, for me at least, I've found a whole new world of foods that I never tried before because I just didn't have time to cook. I made the time and learned how to cook. Hard? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. It's our hearts we're talking about!

Try it slow. Take one meal at a time and try to improve it, if it even needs improving. For me, I started with breakfast. I traded out the pop tarts and lucky charms for oatmeal (good for cholesterol, so "they" say). There are many breakfast choices that are healthy you could try. Once you've tackled breakfast, move on to lunch and see where you can improve. Then to dinners.

As for the kids, try and remember you're doing this for them, too. Not just so that their parents are there for them longer, but kids learn from their parents. Maybe you and your wife could include them in the evening meal preps? I mean, you both would be teaching them how to cook, hopefully having a little fun, then enjoying your culinary creation as a family.

I believe you can do this. It may take a while to feel comfortable with a new routine, as well as trying new ideas/restaurants/foods, but I really believe you'll be happy in the end. My hubby and I are so happy with our new lifestyle, I wish I'd gotten that "cholesterol scare" five years ago instead of eight months ago. I'm not going to lie...it was hard work -- and still is -- and we both needed to evaluate our schedules, finances and stress levels. Frankly, something had to give -- but not our health!

Please don't hesitate to post back if you have questions, concerns, need ideas or just want to vent!

Best of Luck

Lysne

Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
    kes1321
    (female)

kes1321 HB User

Quote:

Thanks,

Neofree
    You sound just like I used to sound - with a few situational differences. I am a graduate student, living with four other girls, and balancing research, courses, teaching, volunteer work, friends, and a boyfriend. I would CONSTANTLY make excuses that I didn't have time for anything - I didn't have TIME to go to the gym, I didn't have TIME to cook something healthy, etc.

Then, around Christmas time, something AMAZING happened. I realized that they WERE just excuses. I could trade that hour of TV watching for making dinner / doing the dishes. I could get up 30 minutes earlier every morning and find time for a trip to the gym. Instead of working through my lunch hour I could go to the gym. I could make my lunch in like 15 minutes while I cleaned up after dinner instead of wasting time in the morning.

How old are your children? Maybe they could actually help out by cleaning the table, etc - my parents started making us help when I was about 4 or 5. Do you REALLY need to each take one child? For ONE hour an evening while one of you cooks couldn't the other watch the kids or engage them in some activity? I doubt that they have (or need!) one - on - one supervision all the time! Then again, I don't know - I have no children.

The point is, it's all about priorities. It's about getting up 20 minutes earlier so you can make a lunch, or have a decent breakfast. It's about turning off the TV and making dinner / doing the dishes. It's about doing something active with your lunch hour.

And I PROMISE - if you get out there and start eating healthy and doing stuff, you'll have more energy!

As for the Wendy's Salads - take a look at the nutritional information sometime! I'm looking at the website right now... The Manderin Chicken Salad (sounds good, right?) has a total of 550 calories and 26 grams of fat! The Homestyle Chicken Strips salad has a total of 680 calories and 45 grams of fat! (these values include the dressing the salad comes with)... By contrast, a 'classic burger' has 430 calories, and 20 grams of fat (watch out for fries though!). The point isn't to go and eat a burger, the point is... even fast food SALADS aren't always as *good* for you as they might seem!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

Thank you! I understand that I have a long way to go and don't think I don't understand that everyone is right about needed better quality foods. We do show some signs of wanting to cook more and sometimes we go to the store and get food determined to cook more at home, but so many times all that food has gone to waste. I do hope that we have more energy after we figure out our health issues.

As for kids helping, one is 8 months old, the other 5. The 8 month old cries violantly if you leave him alone for very long and the 5 year old has ADD and is constantly sneaking around getting into trouble. If you try to do something like have him help you cook he will constantly ask questions and quickly get bored and run off. The only time he hangs out is when you're making cookies, but we haven't done that in a while.

About the hour of TV... Well we will have to figure out something because I'm not giving up that time. It isn't much and I spend most of the time I am awake for someone else. It doesn't matter, most of the time we spend watching TV we are watching what the kids want anyway. You have to understand that in 11AM in the morning we are already tired! I know it is not normal and hope we can get it fixed soon.

About the Wendy's salads.. I've never had any of those, I've only gotten the side salad (also known as Spring Mix) and I get grilled chicken sandwiches. At Sonic I get the Grilled Chicken Sandwich and Grilled Chicken Salad. Had subway tonight, got only a 6" Ham on Wheat bread, had a small piece of cheese after that and that's it for dinner. I used to eat a foot long and a bag of chips and often still be hungry an hour later.

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-15-2006, 05:30 AM   #13
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, Neo

I just wanted to respond to your original question

A lot of your questions might be better answered over on the "high cholesterol" boards on this site. I was given a lot of very helpful info when I was first diagnosed. There are lots of skinny people with high cholesterol and lots of overweight people with low cholesterol. I can tell you that following a diet conducive to lowering cholesterol has helped me lose a lot of weight...and my hubby, too, who didn't have high cholesterol.

I would also call the doctor who ordered the tests. Ask to speak with his nurse and/or dietician regarding what kind of diet you should follow. I was directed (and given a sheet of paper full of "good" foods and "bad" foods) by my doc's office. It was also recommended that I follow the American Heart Association Low-Fat/Low-Cholesterol Diet. They have a website that should be easy enough for you to find which includes info on how to read labels and some pretty good (easy) recipes.

I also did some research on the Omega Plan by Artemis Simopoulos, M.D., and followed it up with my physician, who strongly encouraged it in combo with the AHA diet (they're very similar, but Omega does include more "good" fats). Do a web search for this doctor to find more info. BTW, did you fast before your cholesterol test and eat very lightly the night before? Avoid alcohol the night before?

Again, you're doing fantastic. It's obvious you're taking the right steps. Having such a young baby does shed more light on your situation.

Some things I've read that *might* help improve your numbers are as follows: (again, check with your doc first!!!)

Oatmeal -- not the processed kind. Get the slow cook or steel-cut oats.
    Cinnamon daily -- just the regular kind
    Use olive or canola oil instead of other vegetable oils
    Green or oolong tea -- again, the least processed you can find
    Vitamin C -- if your stomach can handle it (mine can't)
    Fish oil supplements or fish (way quick dinner, BTW)
    Lots of fresh greens and produce (the greener, the better)
    Daily walks -- even 20 minutes is okay. More is good, too
    ***Daily serving of alcohol

***This one's controversial. Some say red wine is the best; others say any kind of alcohol will raise that HDL. Of course, check with your doctor on this regarding your apnea, BP and any predisposed tendencies towards alcoholism. There's also a fine line, because while alcohol might raise HDL, it can also raise the trigs.

Something that helps me with the dinners during the week is making sure leftovers are my friend. If you and your wife make something new that you both love, make it again on a weekend day when you have time (assuming you don't work on the weekends). Make a lot of it and freeze portions for dinners during the week. In a matter of several weeks, your freezer will be full of nice, quick dinners that you can pull out the night before to defrost in your fridge. Cleanup is minimal, too, since you're not preparing a giant meal from scratch. We also use our outdoor grill a lot during the week to help reduce dishes on weeknights -- especially now that we're glued to the Olympics (talk about a motivator for exercise)!

Rice freezes beautifully. Anytime I make rice, I make a lot and freeze enough for several dinners. A couple minutes in the microwave, it's done. A couple weeks ago, I tried a new sauce for seafood. Tomatoes, red peppers, olive oil (a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head), sauteed for a few minutes, then it all goes in the blender and pureed. We loved it so much, I made more the following weekend and froze little cups of it. Later today, I'll pick up some fresh scallops or fish, probably some brocolli, hubby will grill scallops or fish, I'll nuke some rice while the brocolli's cooking, woila, dinner's done in less than 20 minutes. One pan, one tupperware container, some silverware and two dishes to clean.

Sorry for the length here, but I just wanted to illustrate that with a little thought in advance and a bit of time on a day when you're both not working, you both can eat healthy, delicious meals (I'm talking gourmet restaurant good for probably the same or just a tad more than you're paying at a fast-food place) in less than a half-hour.

HTH a little. Maybe I'll see you over on the cholesterol boards

Lysne

Last edited by StenoLady1; 02-15-2006 at 06:01 AM.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

Thank you for the detailed reply! I keep forgetting to mention that both my doctors (Cardiologist and PCP) suggested a low fat diet already. Specifically avoiding saturated fats. Thing is though I think I have a normal metabolism I just have been eating TONS of crap for so long that it caught up with me. I think I will be just fine watching calories and choosing more natural foods. Both doctors suggested it was fine to eat good fats or carbs.. just avoid the bad ones.

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #15
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Thank you for the detailed reply! I keep forgetting to mention that both my doctors (Cardiologist and PCP) suggested a low fat diet already. Specifically avoiding saturated fats. Thing is though I think I have a normal metabolism I just have been eating TONS of crap for so long that it caught up with me. I think I will be just fine watching calories and choosing more natural foods. Both doctors suggested it was fine to eat good fats or carbs.. just avoid the bad ones.

Thanks,

Neofree
    You're very welcome...anytime

That's great your docs discussed this with you. My doc suggested the same thing, more whole foods and good fats, less saturated/trans fats and junk foods. Same here about carbs. Instead of french fries, I opt for a baked potato. I know carbs have gotten a bad rap as of late, but I've never subscribed to that. The only reason I mentioned the AHA website and Omega book was in response to your original question about where you could find info about cholesterol, triglycerides, calories and fat. These were both helpful to me when faced originally with the daunting task of really understanding labels at the grocery store.

Take care and best of luck!

Lysne

Closed Thread