It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Evaluate my program

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User
Evaluate my program

I've lost 2.5 lbs since I started the Low GI diet this week, so though it might only be water weight, it's a (re)start. I did cheat today but that will happen on occasion and I'll just regroup.

Keep in mind, I've got a long way to go. I started at 308 and am now 305.5. With the large body frame I have and my level of musculature (I've always worked out and like someone else here mentioned, can max out incredible weights for a woman), I think an ideal weight is 150-160. My "stock" is not meant to be 120 and 140 might not be within reach.

My diet is low glycemic (fruits, vegetables, proteins, nuts, whole grains) and I take in 1900-2100 calories. Most calculations suggest (based on my level of activity) that I take in 2100-2600 calories to diet, but more than 2100 is hard for me and less than 1900 and I'm ravenous.

I've recently changed my workout regime because with my work and lifestyle, I just can't get to it every day. So, 2-3 days a week I do 30-40 minutes on the treadmill (up to 4mph, which is a run for me) and I vary it from low incline and fast speed and high incline and slow speed. I also do 20-30 minutes of aerobics and 20-40 minutes of strength training.

Am I doing enough?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
k8ty
(female)

k8ty HB User
Re: Evaluate my program

Whatever you can do that will work "with your lifestyle" is great, because you know you can keep it up long-term. For me, trying to wake up every morning at 5am to run, though great for my health, was horrible becaue I just couldn't do it.

Before I critique your plan, could you give some stats? We've got weight and from your name, I hope you're a girl! lol how 'bout age, height, anything diagnosed health-wise?

The thing that immediately struck me about your diet (in a good way) is that you're not doing the 500kcal/day or whatever crash diet eating salads that everybody is so keen on. W2G for finding something that you can stick with long-term!

Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

Stats:
Female
5'6
Active for an obese person. Always worked out, though consistency can lack. I've tried to do daily w/o and like you abhor working out first thing in a.m.

No health problems generally speaking (though some aches and pains as I get older), just fear the potential of them. I have a sluggish metabolism but no diagnosed thyroid disorder (I've studied this in preparation for a physical and have come to find that fat fights to stay fat via insulin, hence a low GI program being good for diabetics and the overweight). Great cholesterol and prior to recently good blood pressure (normally 110-120/70-75, but recently hit 140-160/80 while on cold medicines (immediately got off). Also get higher BP when stressed from work/life.

Weight/diet history: Been dieting on/off since I was 10 (5'2, 110 and chubby for a kid). Age 14/Weight 180. Age 18/Weight 240. Age 30/Weight 340. Age 34/WEight 268. Age 36/308 and going lower. Most recent diets were low carb (LAWL) but stopped being effective.

Starting/Current/Goal
308/305.5/160

Hope that helps.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
k8ty
(female)

k8ty HB User

Nothing "genious" to add, just the basics that everybody says:

take the stairs at work, get the little bits of excercise in wherever you can, etc...

It sounds like you've really got a hold on the diet portion, too bad you didn't like LC (I love it lol), but in my opinion low GI is the next best thing, and what I plan on maintaining with. Sounds like the only food issues you may have to worry about are the cravings, binges, those nasty fellows. If you can really stick to the diet (and I agree that 2100 is a little too little) then this part is great.

About the excercise. How many times a week? You said 2-3, the 3-4 (I try to do some cardio every day, but it's walking, swimming, volleyball, etc...whatever and however much you can fit in is great. Every-other day is really healthy to start out with). Also, I find it's easier for me to set a distance goal instead of a time goal. If your treadmill/cardio machine does this you may want to try this is why: You can walk for an hour and burn 150 kcal. You can jog for an hour and burn 600 kcal. Your pace is really dependent on your skill level at the time and also your energy level at the time of your workout. For me, I try to do 4 miles a day. If I want to get them done with faster, all that means is I have to do more joggin' less walkin' or pick up the pace a bit. This is a great way to monitor your progress as well--clock how long it takes you to do a mile (or however long you're comfortable with). Next time, do the same distance and try to beat your time. I really like graphing my progress. Eventually you'll want to up your distance, too!

As for resistance training, yes it's important, so if you want to do it do it before your cardio, that way the muscles will get the sugar, and your cardio will burn fat. However, if you can add in more cardio in exchange for weights, at this stage, I think it would be much more beneficial, mostly for one reason: bigger people obviously have more mass, but the also have more muscle mass than slimmer people. We're not really sure what shape and size we are underneath untill we get rid of what's covering us up! And, in my opinion, diet and cardio is the best way to get rid of that fat.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

I didn't not like low carb. I believe it's great. It just stopped working after 2 years on a low carb program. I don't know why.

I went on LAWL, went from 335 to 268 then started creeping back up to 291 before my program ended and I was pretty strict with the program. I'd been on it 2 years, the amount of time expected to lose the weight and only made some headway.

I kept doing the program off, but after about 9 months of that decided to just count calories. Did that and still didn't lose weight. And in 2 years gained 17 pounds back. Decided time to go back to low carb and nothing budged.

I don't know why my body's resisting weight loss. It's really starting to get to my head.

I tried eating the 2400 calories recommended, but didn't lose. Reduced to 1900-2100 and still don't lose. Started to read about how diets can defeat your metabolism because lower calories often force the body to feed on muscle (and the only way to combat this is strength training) and have begun to feel that's the reason for my stagnant weight.

I tried daily workouts, but I burn out on such a program. I also just don't have the time or energy. I'm up at 4:45am and in bed by 11pm. I can't work out at that hour, nor am I getting up at 4 to work out. And when I get home (after 6), I'm either still working or too drained to work out. I came to the conclusion that I can give it my all on weekends plus one and that's it.

Otherwise, I do all the supposed right things, walk stairs, park far, etc.

Ah, K8ty, I'm sooooooooooooooooooo frustrated.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #6
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

IF you eat a consistent and ACCURATELY MEASURED <cannot be overemphasized> 1900-2100 calories over a long enough time, with the exercise plan you are using you WILL show good weight loss, ZERO doubt about it, although you will probably have to tighten up the calories a bit after you cross the 200 pound line, perhaps down to the dreaded 1600.

IF you have tight caloric control there is absolutely NO reason to concern yourself with the quantity or quality of the carbs unless you are a diabetic. Eat what you like but keep the quantities withing that 2000 calorie framework.

But try to achieve the hardest part of good dieting technique: PATIENCE!

Old 02-16-2006, 06:00 AM   #7
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

Lenin, again, I guess you haven't followed my posts. This has been my consistent intake for on average 2.5 years (and yes, stringent with measuring).

I did LAWL 4 years ago for 2 years, went from 335 to 268 but started regaining while still keeping to the program. I left weighing 291. Then, bored of the program choices and unable to afford to redo the program, I simply monitored calories. Using ****** I calculated that on LAWL I ate 2400 calories (and yes, lost weight). So, I ate that amount of just any food. Gained 10 pounds. Then put myself back on LAWL without buying the program and was eating 2100 calories (because I wasn't including their protein bars) and gained another 7 pounds.

Decided that low carb, which is what LAWL is, was no longer working for me and switched to the Low GI diet for a change in food choices and an understanding of the role of insulin in weight loss. Just started that.

So to your "no doubt" I say--look at me. It ain't happening.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Its not going to happen over night girl.....
even tho you say you have been on a low calorie intake plan for over 2 years ''LAWL'' G.I'' LOW-CARB, .... I'm not saying I don't believe you , but its obvious you must have did something wrong? other wise you would be loseing.

darling, you can't just decide to go on a weight lost plan just because that weight loss plan is highly publicised or famous,even some of the best plans out there may not be right for you,and its not going to happen over night.
your probably going to be ****** at me....but get real.
We all are only trying to help you I hope you understand that.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

I know you're trying to help me. I will reiterate...I'm following my programs, that's not to debate with you nor defensive but the simple truth. Other than the blip yesterday and the time I took off from dieting as stated above, nothin moves more than up and down the same 4 pounds. I can be doing it 100% for 4 months and not lose a pound. I don't expect it overnight, but in 4 months, mathematically speaking, I should have lost minimum 32 pounds!

BTW, I have never been one to follow fads. I chose LAWL because it was medically sound (real food and dealing with portions). I chose to continue low carb for that same reason. And I chose Low GI based on research. Give me a little credit for being educated, informed, committed and honest. (If I have any issue with you, it's that you seem to presume otherwise)

Last edited by JerseyGirl36; 02-16-2006 at 08:15 AM.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
BeachLvr58
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

I think you are mostly right on with your eating plan but I do think your excercise is just ok. 2-3 days may be better than nothing but in my view it's the same as almost nothing. I think you should get moving at least 4 days a week and my rule of thumb is to workout most days which is 6 days a week. Keep the weights going since the muscle burns fat at rest. The last thing you need is to lose the muscle you have by cutting back on weights and adding more cardio. Try to make an real effort at the workouts by being more consistent and adding more days. If not I really do believe you are still good with the meal plan you have and should lose weight. I'm anxious to see your stats in 2 weeks. I started low carbing 3 weeks ago and only eating healthy carbs like veggies and small amount of berries and I dropped a whole size and I was at a stand still myself with a meal plan like LAWL. I do not do scales I do body fat % and size...good luck

Old 02-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

I had tried daily, burned out emotionally and physically.

Tried 5 times week, just couldn't keep the schedule.

The only way I can manage exercise consistently is to do it 2-3x/week, but with longer sessions. Do you really think 6 hours plus/week is minimal?

I want the change, but this is the only time I have to keep at it.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl36
I know you're trying to help me. I will reiterate...I'm following my programs, that's not to debate with you nor defensive but the simple truth. Other than the blip yesterday and the time I took off from dieting as stated above, nothin moves more than up and down the same 4 pounds. I can be doing it 100% for 4 months and not lose a pound. I don't expect it overnight, but in 4 months, mathematically speaking, I should have lost minimum 32 pounds!

BTW, I have never been one to follow fads. I chose LAWL because it was medically sound (real food and dealing with portions). I chose to continue low carb for that same reason. And I chose Low GI based on research. Give me a little credit for being educated, informed, committed and honest. (If I have any issue with you, it's that you seem to presume otherwise)
Alright then if what your doing don't seem to be working for you? CHANGE IT! if you have seen your Dr for a check up recently? and all is ok with you health wise.. THEN!

I would suggest you to join W.W.( weight watchers turn around program), theres two basic food plans, the core plan seems pretty eazy to follow and stay on, it allows you to focus on a whole list of wholesome and nutritious foods and without tracking, the list would be like different food groups like veggies,fruits,and starches,lean meats,poultry,fish,and eggs along with milk products, the thing bout this way of dieting you can have all you want or until your full, and an occasional treat outside these food groups, in a control portions of course.

This is called the Weight Watchers ''core plan''...it seems like it would be a good plan for you...and as always we know that exercising is good, but In my opinion you don't have to exercise to lose weight.

''Weight Watchers'' has the ''points'' plan too but I kinda find that would be to hard to do.

you may have tried W.W. Aready? but this year it has a new plan, its different from past plans. at least read up about it......ok?

Old 02-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
BeachLvr58
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl36
I had tried daily, burned out emotionally and physically.

Tried 5 times week, just couldn't keep the schedule.

The only way I can manage exercise consistently is to do it 2-3x/week, but with longer sessions. Do you really think 6 hours plus/week is minimal?

I want the change, but this is the only time I have to keep at it.
Excercise is funny it's not about what you do in a week it's more like staying consistent. It's kind of hard to keep muscle only working them 2-3 days a week. How do you get all of your muscle groups in that short time and work them like they need to be? I understand about your time constraints but we all have them. When I was under time issues I got up earlier no one likes is but it has to be done to accomplish what we want. I'm not trying to be hard on you but I reallyl do feel with your diet plan now and more excercise you will see the results you are looking for. Another thing how much protein do you consume during the day? Do you eat it at evry meal and how many oz or if you count grams how many?

Old 02-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

I don't count grams. I eat protein sometimes at breakfast and always at lunch and dinner. Average day=1/2c egg whites, 6-8 oz chicken breast, 6-8 oz fish.

Re: working out, I get up at 4:45 and am on the road from 6am to 6pm, sometimes 9pm. I agree re: consistency and have found the ONLY way I maintain that accurately is by 2-3 day/week commitment. I cannot workout at night as it keeps me awake and cannot break during mid-day, so can only do when I have no time pressures (weekend).

A full weight routine of all muscle groups at 2 sets of 12 reps takes me 25-35 minutes. When you work out at home, you move faster because you aren't waiting on a machine.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

Something that doesn't make sense to me about your post, Beach, is that you say it's hard to maintain muscle on that schedule. I was always told (by trainers) to not work muscle more than 3 days a week.

Closed Thread