It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Can someone Help me figure out some healthy breakfast choices

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
    godwhomismike
    (male)

godwhomismike HB User
    Can someone Help me figure out some healthy breakfast choices

Background:

I am 25 years old, work in the computer field, and do not have access to healthy breakfast choices at my job. For the past 4 months, I've been eating a donut and drinking a Full Throttle energy drink. I've watched my weight jump by almost 25 lbs. I was around 155 in the summer when I stopped going to the gym, now I'm approaching 180 lbs. I'm trying to figure out what is an easy healthy breakfast during the work week.

I was thinking of for breakfast, switching between oatmeal, meal replacement bars, and shakes each morning. I was doing oatmeal, but after 2 months of oatmeal each day I got tired or it, and eventually started eating donuts each morning. So I'm looking for a few choices.

Meal raplacement bars and shakes - are they good or bad? Also, what would you recommend.

Last edited by godwhomismike; 02-18-2006 at 03:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User
    Re: Can someone Help me figure out some healthy breakfast choices

Start by eating more protein during the day. I believe the biggest mistake people make is eating mostly carbs for breakfast and lunch. Protein staves off hunger, while carbs give you immediate energy and then drops you. If you're not giving your body what it needs, it will keep craving and wanting more food to get what it needs, hence overload of empty calories which equals weight gain. I actually get "the shakes" if I start off the day with just carbs, and I end up eating more throughtout the day.

What's working for me: Mostly protein for breakfast and lunch (Your body needs fuel) and then mostly good carbs, very little protein in the evening (Your body needs to slow down to repair/replenish itself; not work on breaking down a steak). I've been doing some reading (The Circadian Prescription), and I've learned your body works efficiently if you eat foods in that order. Try it for one day and you will see that it works out very well. This way of eating is supposed to break the your carb addiction and help you achieve/maintain ideal weight.

Do you have access to a refrigerater? A microwave? This info could help us give you some ideas on what to eat.

Treat your body right and it will be kind to you. I believe doughnuts just might be the worst thing a human can consume.

Last edited by KittyLove; 02-22-2006 at 11:03 AM.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KittyLove
    Start by eating more protein during the day. I believe the biggest mistake people make is eating mostly carbs for breakfast and lunch. Protein staves off hunger, carbs give you immediate energy and then drops you. If you're not giving your body what it needs, it will keep craving and wanting more food to get what it needs, hence overload of empty calories which equals weight gain. I actually get "the shakes" if I start off the day with just carbs, and I end up eating more throughtout the day. My theory is: Mostly protein for breakfast and lunch and mostly good carbs for dinner. I've done some reading, and I've learned your body works efficiently if you eat in that order. Try it for one day and you will see that it works out very well.

Do you have access to a refrigerater? A microwave? This info could help us give you some ideas on what to eat.

Treat your body right and it will be kind to you. I believe doughnuts just might be the worst thing a human can consume.
    Aghhh, does that go for my beloved ''crispy creams''

Old 02-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
    JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

I'm pressed for time, too. I keep hardboiled eggs in the fridge to grab as needed. Depending on the plan for the day, food mood, etc, breakfast for me is usually one of the following
    - an egg white omelet (220c)
    - hardboiled egg (70c each)
    - egg on wheat muffin (190c)
    - oatmeal (160c)
    - cream of wheat (90c)
    - yogurt (60c)
    - 4oz snack packs of cottage cheese 2% (90c)
    - or a protein shake (220c)

For the cream of wheat I use sugar free coffee flavors like caramel to give it flavor.

For the oatmeal, I don't use processed if I can avoid it as it's too high in sugar and to refined to be greatly beneficial.

Both the oatmeal and cream of wheat and hard boiled eggs can be cooked in advance. The protein drink takes seconds to toss in a travel shaker and mix with milk. If I have a little time, I do the egg sandwich or omelet. The omelet really fuels me and keeps me filled.

For 220 calories I get:
    1 whole egg
    1/2 c egg white
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tbs of chopped broccoli, onion, and carrot
    sprinkling of skim mozzarella or paremesan

Really doesn't take long.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:09 AM   #5
    gambrels
    (male)

gambrels HB User

Lose the sugar at breakfast and you'll be fuller all day!

I used to be in the same boat as you - it seemed that no matter what I had for breakfast, or how much, I would be hungry again by 10am and would inevitably eat a donut or whatever. THis of course led to eating lunch earlier than I should've, which led to eating a huge snack at 3pm, etc. etc. I'm assuming this is a large part of your problem - you have breakfast, but later crave that donut.

Basically, carbs & sugars will fill you up quickly without much fat, but also digest quickly. This means your blood sugar rises quickly but then falls quickly as you digest the food in your stomach. When your blood sugar drops, you can feel incredibly hungry, sometimes lightheaded and moody. If you eat more fats and protein in the morning, it will stick with you longer, and make you less hungry throughout the day.

I've very recently found that cutting sugars in the morning has helped immensely. I used to have a bowl of corn flake-type cereal and orange juice and I would be hungry again within about an hour. Now I have a hard-boiled egg and yogurt each morning and it keeps me full for at least 6 hours. Just make sure that you buy yogurt that is low in sugar (it doesn't have to be plain, but I'd reccommend trying it as it is better for you and you'll develop a taste for it). Put a little granola or oats in it to liven it up, but beware, a lot of granola is full of sugar! Often times, the yogurt you buy in a 1/2 gallon container is a little better, in that its not so sugary and processed, plus it lets you eat as much as you want - so you don't leave the house hungry.

Remember too that refined carbs (those made with very fine flour) quickly convert to sugars which leads to the same situation of hunger. So, two pieces of white toast or a bowl of cereal will often make you have the same hunger issues.

Meal replacement bars don't work for me - they're not enough food to really replace a meal, often have alot of fat and calories, and make me need to find another 'snack' to fill me up - often the only thing around is something horribly unhealthy. If they're enough for you, stick with them, but do be aware of their fat and calorie content.

I believe that there is a food worse than donuts for the human bodies - high sugar, high caffeine 'energy' drinks. Skip on that if at all possible. You'd be much better off drinking several cups of coffee - your caffeine level would probably be about the same, the sugar content would be much lower, and all the liquid would fill your belly, which will help you feel full. Plus, it'd probably be a lot cheaper, as you could make a pot of coffee at home and bring it in to work in a thermos. Save the money you'd normally spend on those drinks for a trip to bermuda or something. Caffeine generally reduces appetite. If coffee has too much caffeine for you, buy some black tea (make sure its black tea, not orange pekoe tea) - it has half the caffeine, enough for a lift, but not so much your head is spinning. Take the box of tea into work and all you need is a big mug and hot water.

Sorry I haven't given you many specific ideas, but hopefully given the above you can decide for yourself what works best for you! Good luck!!!

Old 02-22-2006, 05:11 AM   #6
    squeakyy
    (female)

squeakyy HB User

I had this a few days ago and it filled me up until lunch.

Egg Beaters (Southwestern style, no fat, has protein)
    Wheat English Muffin (Sara Lee, only .05 grams of fat)
    dash of salt and pepper

Just made a sandwich with it... and it was very good.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
    Candy777
    (female)

Candy777 HB User

Well Fruit Salads, Turkey Bacon , Wheat toast , Oatmeal, boil eggs or scrable light, Bran cereals Etc. Have to be creative or choose something Healthy you enjoy , maybe a protein drink

Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User

Hi Again,
    I just wanted to post some examples of what I usually eat for breakfast:

Scrambled egg whites/beaters in a wrap

Chicken strips in a wrap (I buy a big bag of frozen/precooked
    strips from the wholesale warehouse)

Fat-free cottage cheese with pineapple and hi-fiber crackers

Veggie burger, sliced up on a wrap

Ocassionally, Cashew nut butter on a rice cake

Once in a while, I will have a chocolate hi-protein shake or if I'm on the run and desperate, I'll eat a protein bar, although they usually don't sustain me.

Hope this helps

Last edited by KittyLove; 02-22-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
    tornkay
    (female)

tornkay HB User

These are some high protein breakfasts you may want to try.
    Peanut butter on raisin toast, Cottage cheese and what fruit you prefer, Cheese toast, slices of lean turkey, tuna.

Closed Thread