It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Can't lose weight and SO frustrated.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
megancolleen
(female)

megancolleen HB User
Can't lose weight and SO frustrated.

Gah!

For the last two months, I have been exercising for an hour every day and eating between 1200-1400 calories consistently. I have never cheated. In the first couple of weeks, I lost about three pounds. For the last month and a half I have lost absolutely nothing. I am so discouraged and frustrated. I've never been so disciplined with trying to lose weight, yet I'm getting absolutely no results.

I am on a medication (elavil - antidepressant, low dose for pelvic pain) that is said to make people gain weight, but I thought that was because it induced food cravings -- maybe it's actually affecting my metabolism?

I've also heard about "weight plateaus" but...a month and a half?! This is ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm really, really frustrated and discouraged.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
mjewell
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Re: Can't lose weight and SO frustrated.

hi megan-

I am kind of going through the same thing, although I am not as discilpined as you. I have cut calories and started working out daily though, and if anything I just gain. I take Lexapro, but I gained about 10 lbs when i started a new birth control a couple months ago. 10+ pounds in a month is pretty drastic when none of your lifestyle habits changed.

I used to be pretty skeptical that any medication could make you gain weight in itself - like you I just thought maybe it increased your appetite. But now I'm not so sure. I have never gained weight so drastically like this, and before now I was holding steady at the same weight for several years. I am going to go off the pill as soon as I finish my pack. You may want to ask your dr. about switching meds just to see if that helps.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Same thing happened to me...lost about four pounds the first couple weeks, then zip for about six weeks. Meanwhile, hubby's doing the same diet and doing the same exercise with me and dropping a couple pounds a week. I was pretty discouraged, to say the least!

I came on these boards and the advice I got was to change up my exercise a little bit. It really seemed to do the trick. I had been exercising in the evenings after work & dinner. I changed it up to the mornings right after I wake up -- same exercise routine, tho (brisk/power walking). I have one cup of coffee and a big glass of ice water before I exercise in the mornings. Took some serious getting used to, but I love it now, and my evenings are free! All in all, way worth having to get up a little earlier.

Anyway, it sure helped me & your post sounds almost identical to mine six months ago. Just wanted to "pay it forward" so to speak!

Old 02-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
Kathy C
(female)

Kathy C HB User

I have been at the gym for a year and 5 months now. In the first 6 months I droped 3 inches whent down one pant size, but no loss in pounds. I wasn't able to work out properly from June 05 till about January 06 because of health problems. I ws lucky not to put the inches back on but i lost all my strength and had gained fluid from being sick. Not to mention gettting out of a very regular routine for exercise and drinking water. I have since started back the regular routine but not so much the water.

I still weigh the same as i did when i started at the gym BUT I have built condiserable muscle which weighs more than fat. How can i tell i have more muscle well i can see it in my arms and legs (very soild) when I flex my muscles. The only place i can't see the muscle growth in in my abs which still needs alot of work.

So if you flex your legs or arms and press not hard you should feel the muscles. If you do that weekly you should notice that those areas arn't as spongey as they were the last time.

As far as weight platueas I know people who have lots a large amount of weight and wanted to lose 10 or 15 pounds more and couldn't for nearly two years. When you hit a plateau you then need to change something and ADD more exercise to you workouts which is not always posssible.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Holly4k9
(female)

Holly4k9 HB User

I started my new wol in January. I have lost a total of 4 pounds.. on a good day. I workout alot.. watch what I eat, and I don't take Medication.

BUT, my body is changing. I am gaining muscle, and I think that weighs more then fat. My shape is changing. I now have a waist lol My whole body is firming up. I weigh 189 pounds so I have lots of poundage to loose.. I should weigh about 135. I don't know why it isn't coming off. But, if in six months it is still up in the 80's I plan to go see a fitness trainer.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
JerseyGirl36

JerseyGirl36 HB User

From the Queen of Plateaus, I was recently told by a trainer and nutritionist:

-Never have your calories more than 300c below your maintenance amount (figure out with online calculators what your RMR is and subract 300c)
-You should eat 1g per lb you'd like to weigh (ex: 135 goal weight, 135g of protein)
-Make strength training the core of your routine and LIFT HEAVY. Strive for 2-4 sets of 6-8 reps to failure, 45 minutes.
-Do cardio for NO MORE THAN 40 MINUTES to avoid your body eating away at muscle
-Do cardio only after your strength routine

People think plateaus are normal and they are, but they should only last 1-2 weeks tops. People also don't realize that strict caloric reduction gears the body to use its muscle as fuel, thereby decreasing your metabolism as you lose weight. That's why most people regain weight they lost from their diet. It's not that they're failures, it's that they designed their metabolism to fail them through dieting.

Think like a bodybuilder to lose weight, and you will.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Fabat40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Try weight lifting. I'm trying to regain some of the weight I'd lost when I started weight lifting. When you lift weight, it kicks up your metabolism. Be patient though and give it some time for your metabolism to kick in.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:10 AM   #8
BeachLvr58
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl36
From the Queen of Plateaus, I was recently told by a trainer and nutritionist:

-Never have your calories more than 300c below your maintenance amount (figure out with online calculators what your RMR is and subract 300c)
-You should eat 1g per lb you'd like to weigh (ex: 135 goal weight, 135g of protein)
-Make strength training the core of your routine and LIFT HEAVY. Strive for 2-4 sets of 6-8 reps to failure, 45 minutes.
-Do cardio for NO MORE THAN 40 MINUTES to avoid your body eating away at muscle
-Do cardio only after your strength routine

People think plateaus are normal and they are, but they should only last 1-2 weeks tops. People also don't realize that strict caloric reduction gears the body to use its muscle as fuel, thereby decreasing your metabolism as you lose weight. That's why most people regain weight they lost from their diet. It's not that they're failures, it's that they designed their metabolism to fail them through dieting.

Think like a bodybuilder to lose weight, and you will.

I could not agree more with this post/advice..Also what do you eat in the course of the day? Please post your diet and yes medication can affect weight loss it did for me with BP meds but I got a handle on it now with a few tweaks on my diet and excercise program..Lisa

Old 02-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
Analysis1123
(female)

Analysis1123 HB User

This Message is or Kathy C. What type of exercise do you do? Are you doing some weight lifting as well to see the tone in your arms???

Last edited by Analysis1123; 02-27-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megancolleen
Gah!

For the last two months, I have been exercising for an hour every day and eating between 1200-1400 calories consistently. I have never cheated. In the first couple of weeks, I lost about three pounds. For the last month and a half I have lost absolutely nothing. I am so discouraged and frustrated. I've never been so disciplined with trying to lose weight, yet I'm getting absolutely no results.

I am on a medication (elavil - antidepressant, low dose for pelvic pain) that is said to make people gain weight, but I thought that was because it induced food cravings -- maybe it's actually affecting my metabolism?

I've also heard about "weight plateaus" but...a month and a half?! This is ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm really, really frustrated and discouraged.
hi, just keep on what you are doing, it just takes time to lose the weight and if your execising everyday for 30 to 45 minutes, either walking, treadmilling, bicyling,or other ....being on a 1200-1400 calorie intake you should start loseing the weight at any given time.
the main thing is don't give up, thats why most diets fail, everyone wants to lose weight over 1 or 2 month period?!... this is not near enough time, just give it more time and you will do just fine, if being on a claorie intake that small is agreable with you?...my advised would be to advised you to stay what your doing...the thing also you need to think about is your age, age is a big factor in weight loss...the older we get the harderd for your body to metabolize
I been where you are and the only thing I changed is that I exercise twice a day 30 to 40 minutes in the moring before a small breakfast and the same after supper..I just use a good sound sturdy treadmill pro-form xp 550....because the weather is not always fitting
Good Luck.

Last edited by chevyman; 02-27-2006 at 07:40 AM.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
Kathy C
(female)

Kathy C HB User

my exercise for the week goes like this. Monday 5 pin bowling (league). Tuesday gym 20 minutes treadmill, 10 minutes bike, and 8 different weights (4 legs, 4 arms). Wednesday gym similar thing different weights. Wendesday night Yoga on the ball. Thursday gym same as tuesday.

Closed Thread