It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Ever Have Those Days Where You Don't Care?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User
    Ever Have Those Days Where You Don't Care?

On most days, I've been pretty good about eating healthy and exercising. But today, I woke up with a "who cares" attitude and I can't seem to shake it. I didn't exercise like I normally do. I didn't fix a healthy breakfast. And at work, I've been snacking on candy. I just feel like eating healthy and losing weight shouldn't feel like hard work, even though experience has taught me otherwise. How does one snap out of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User
    Re: Ever Have Those Days Where You Don't Care?

If I am not at goal for my desired size I look at pics of my old self when I was lean and mean. This snaps me out of it. I do not crave sweets ever so for me it's easier not to fall off plan. If you are at goal and just worried about eating healthy the majority of times then let go and allow your self a cheat day. No need to be so rigid with our meals that it becomes a life of deprivation..Lisa

Old 03-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

I think the problem is I no longer feel a sense of urgency. I'm able to fit into my old clothes comfortably, I don't have a noticeable belly, my weight, BMI and body fat percentage are all within a healthy range, and I don't anticipate having to get naked in front of anyone anytime soon. Plus, I feel like eating healthy is turning into a chore. Not to mention my grocery bill is getting out of hand.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

hahaaa but I worry about getting naked in front of me too. As for what you have accomplished so far which is not just about looks but also about your internal health to go back to the old way is just not a good option. It is expensive but I buy organic moslty and when i see fruits and veggies cheaper elsewhere i buy it. All my meats will always be organic..don't quit keep going just allow yourself some cheat days but do not over do it..Lisa

Old 03-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
    boisecougar
    (male)

boisecougar HB User

I had a day like this a few weeks ago. I got depressed from it, because I loaded up on sweets and even though I kept exercising I still mentally had to snap out of it. I just reminded myself of my goals and one morning I woke up and I wanted to work out and eat healthy where as before it was a chore to keep exercising and eating right. Every now and then it still feels like a chore, but the better days out number the chore days by a long shot.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutToLunch
    I think the problem is I no longer feel a sense of urgency. I'm able to fit into my old clothes comfortably, I don't have a noticeable belly, my weight, BMI and body fat percentage are all within a healthy range, and I don't anticipate having to get naked in front of anyone anytime soon. Plus, I feel like eating healthy is turning into a chore. Not to mention my grocery bill is getting out of hand.
    yeah I think we all have bad days like that, I know how you feel it is a lot of hard work and always thinking to lose weight and keep it off.
    what I do when I feel like that ''the don't care attiude''/and worry bout that darn grocery bill.....I just take myself a good long walk by myself...you have to ask yourself is it worth it to let what you did all go for nothing?....because you know it don't take near as long to put it back on as it does to take it off...and the feeling bad part seems to come to mind
    thats what kinda sticks with me.

just hang in ther ''OutToLunch''..your a pretty smart guy and I take all your post with interest.
    you can beat your feelings and over come how you feel..its probably a natural feeling to be feeling like you do...(kinda burn out) give it a few days cheat if you want to...then get back to your healthy way of eatting/exercising.
    Good Luck to ya man.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
    kes1321
    (female)

kes1321 HB User

I'm having one of those days today... I just ate almost half a cup of yogurt covered raisins - which are not good for you... I feel like crap about myself tonight...

Old 03-30-2006, 05:23 AM   #8
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

When I feel one of those days coming on, just before I shove something hidious in my mouth, I think about how I will feel after the thrill of eating it is gone. That usually keeps me from eating the hidious thing.
    Losing weight is too hard, and gaining it is too easy. After all the time and effort I have spent eating well, exercising and losing the extra weight I had, staying on track is my only option.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

I hate to say it, but my best motivator has always been about wanting to look good for the opposite sex. I can tell myself that I'm doing all of this for myself, for my health, to feel good, and there's certainly some truth to that. But when I look back at the periods where I was really disciplined and focused, it always revolved around women. Either I was with someone and was interested in someone. In either case, I wanted to look my best. That's what's missing right now. I'm not involved with anyone. There's no one in particular who I'm interested in pursuing. So I don't feel that sense of urgency. I'm certainly not the first person to experience this. After all, isn't that what happens when people get married? They let themselves go now that they've found their partner. I guess I need to find something to scare me into moving forward.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
    kes1321
    (female)

kes1321 HB User

I agree - this has been what motivated me in the past... Looking good for boys I liked! But (almost two years ago) I finally found one who liked me for ME, not for what I looked like... And he's given me the confidence I need to do this for ME - for my health. I feel so much better now... As much as I complain about a few bad days here and there, I've lost 27 lbs in 11 weeks, and I continue to loose about 1.5 to 2 lbs per week.

It's all about compromising. Last night I didn't care, and I ate the yogurt covered rasins - today I'm back to caring so I did an extra 10 minutes on the eliptical (30 minutes instead of 20)... I've learned that I can have small treats like that (or a little larger ones ), as long as I make up for it. I'm going to a co-workers for dinner tonight, so I'm being extra careful today to eat healthy...

Old 03-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #11
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    I hate to say it, but my best motivator has always been about wanting to look good for the opposite sex. I can tell myself that I'm doing all of this for myself, for my health, to feel good, and there's certainly some truth to that. But when I look back at the periods where I was really disciplined and focused, it always revolved around women. Either I was with someone and was interested in someone. In either case, I wanted to look my best. That's what's missing right now. I'm not involved with anyone. There's no one in particular who I'm interested in pursuing. So I don't feel that sense of urgency. I'm certainly not the first person to experience this. After all, isn't that what happens when people get married? They let themselves go now that they've found their partner. I guess I need to find something to scare me into moving forward.
    hi,
    its a natural thing for a male to want to look good for the oppsite sex.
    theres not a thing wrong with being single...maybe a little lonely and conpanionship is lacking?
    you will meet your soul-mate someday...its kinda the reverse with me and my g/f.....she is a controling woman to me, she tells me what time to do this or what I should eat or shouldn't....we fight all the time about my diet/I'm not that much over weight but I'm far from perfect....she is a model so she is very strict on what she eats and I guess she expects the same with me/so sometimes being with some one is not all a bed of roses, everyone has there ups and downs...and if you can stay single/what does that hurt? you can get a g/f to go out with > that don't make you want to be serious does it?...hey your ''your'' own man/boss >you can do as you please, you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself.

maybe its your age? you maybe thinking bout settleing down with miss right? ...and your tired of keeping up your body for every woman that comes along, and you want that person to like you for you not what you look like or how much you weigh.
    I understand what your saying but if you take care of your body do that for yourself no one eles....if your just 30 something you have plenty of time yet to get in a romace realtionship.
    you maybe very suprise when you do find a true love partner/because love makes us all do unexplain things/my mom can't stand my g/f but my dad loves her to pieses/so go figure

As far as getting naked..it would not matter with me if I was at my dream weight goal or not..if I look at myself naked..its always a scary thing...lol

Just hang in there theres a lot of beautiful women a lot of good decent women out there..I'm sure you will find her...you will know it when you do...believe me...it will be a feeling you never had before.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
    betterkas
    (female)

betterkas HB User

Quote:
    After all, isn't that what happens when people get married? They let themselves go now that they've found their partner. I guess I need to find something to scare me into moving forward.
    YES, that's exactly what happens! I'm not married but I've been with my boyfriend for almost three years, and we have BOTH gained 20 pounds since we started dating. It's not that I got comfortable with him, though--it's that I wanted to spend time with him all the time, so I didn't work out as much. Then, we both ate out a lot. Then, we would take turns making big dinners. He's been away for six months and now I've lost all 20 pounds. I told him that when he gets back, he's just going to have to deal with the lifestyle changes.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #13
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

chevyman,

I'm in my 30s so I'm definitely ready for something long-term. And even though I'll hear men complain about how their partners nag them about every little thing, in my case I think that would actually be good. Being single and having the freedom to do whatever you want isn't always a good thing. Lately, I'll be driving home from work and get a craving for cake or ice cream. So I'll stop off and pick it up. At least if I had a partner, I'd feel less free to do that sort of thing. Or on days where I'm feeling lazy and wanting to skip exercise, I'll have someone there to remind me to do it.

One of the nice things about getting older is you become more comfortable with who you are and learn to worry less about impressing others. I'll see these younger guys working out, trying to bulk up or develop a six-pack, and they'll claim they're doing it to be better athletes or for health reasons, but come on. We all know why they're really doing it. It's because the average male is insecure. He compares himself to other men in every way possible. His height, his income, his car, his you-know-what. His body is no exception. Thankfully, I'm old enough where I know longer care when someone asks me, "how much can you bench?" But I guess that desire to impress women will always remain to some degree. I guess that's better than not caring at all how you look, but there's a part of me that feels like I should've outgrown this sort of thing by now.

It's not that I'm tired of having to keep myself in shape to appeal to women. I'm just tired in general. And the worst part is that I developed a routine that I tried to keep simple so it would be easy to maintain for life. For example, I would love to be more muscular, but I know that even if I did pile on more bulk, I'd never be able to maintain it so why bother? But I feel myself drifting back to my old habits. This morning I didn't exercise for the first time in months. And today for lunch, I ate a sandwich that was more like 3 sandwiches. I'm not quite sure how to snap out of it. I just know that I need to find something to scare me back into line. I almost envy those people who are told by their doctors to lose weight. I need a jolt like that.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
    After all, isn't that what happens when people get married? They let themselves go now that they've found their partner. I guess I need to find something to scare me into moving forward.
    And that my friend is the reason you want to do it for yourself. I have been with the same man since 1975 and we have a very happy marraige (since 1980) and a wonderful daughter. We have always kept our looks to the point of people saying we belonged in hollywood. But the truth be told we did it for ourselves. In order for you to be the best you can be to find someone you will need to love your self first or else why would anyone else love you? Keep the faith and do it for you the rest will follow..Lisa

Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    chevyman,

I'm in my 30s so I'm definitely ready for something long-term. And even though I'll hear men complain about how their partners nag them about every little thing, in my case I think that would actually be good. Being single and having the freedom to do whatever you want isn't always a good thing. Lately, I'll be driving home from work and get a craving for cake or ice cream. So I'll stop off and pick it up. At least if I had a partner, I'd feel less free to do that sort of thing. Or on days where I'm feeling lazy and wanting to skip exercise, I'll have someone there to remind me to do it.

One of the nice things about getting older is you become more comfortable with who you are and learn to worry less about impressing others. I'll see these younger guys working out, trying to bulk up or develop a six-pack, and they'll claim they're doing it to be better athletes or for health reasons, but come on. We all know why they're really doing it. It's because the average male is insecure. He compares himself to other men in every way possible. His height, his income, his car, his you-know-what. His body is no exception. Thankfully, I'm old enough where I know longer care when someone asks me, "how much can you bench?" But I guess that desire to impress women will always remain to some degree. I guess that's better than not caring at all how you look, but there's a part of me that feels like I should've outgrown this sort of thing by now.

It's not that I'm tired of having to keep myself in shape to appeal to women. I'm just tired in general. And the worst part is that I developed a routine that I tried to keep simple so it would be easy to maintain for life. For example, I would love to be more muscular, but I know that even if I did pile on more bulk, I'd never be able to maintain it so why bother? But I feel myself drifting back to my old habits. This morning I didn't exercise for the first time in months. And today for lunch, I ate a sandwich that was more like 3 sandwiches. I'm not quite sure how to snap out of it. I just know that I need to find something to scare me back into line. I almost envy those people who are told by their doctors to lose weight. I need a jolt like that.
    Sounds like your just burn out to me, and maybe your not stable with your own insecureties? and'' your I don't care anymore attitude'' your letting take control.
    I know it's hard for a un-emotional person to understand.
    Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that your an un-emotional person.

I agree its sometimes better to have someone to help you make decisions in life no matter what they maybe, but from all your post you seem like you do have a good head on your shoulders.
    Do you think a ''woman'' would scare you back into line? or do you want to find out something bad? from a Dr? to have that scare hanging over your head?
    With me I don't care what other men think or do or what they have ...oh I use to be that way sure most of us was....but like you said as you get older you don't seem to care as to when ''someone ask you how much you can bench''...ect,,ect.
    to me thats just small talk office talk or whatever.... and you should not let things like that bother you.
    My advised would be to tell you to take a week or so off from your routine, do what you want to do, eat what you what to eat....then maybe get back on the tract...find you a hobby....get involved with other things other peope other than the work place...go to your local elementary school coach a football game, baseball ect,,ect,,.... what I do I learn to play the guitar and write songs ect,,ect,, not profess..but just as a hobby because it keeps my mind busy and I don't have time to dewell on things like diets and exercise...and those beautiful creatures we can't seem to live without...WOMEN.

Call up that certain someone that maybe you been thinking bout, take her out to dinner movie...just get out and enjoy yourself thats the main thing and to me thats what life is all about the enjoyment of being a healthy person and to share that with someone you love is a special thing.
    Hold your head up high and be proud of yourself....life to precious not to.

I have a good friend thats kinda like you he takes care of himself health wise/works out eats right ect,,ect,, but he told me one time he hates weekends to come...he said he makes it ok during the week working everyday but when the weekends get here he's just beside himself....why? because he won't get out and meet people especialy girls...sure he is shy but he refuses to try to have a good time and is affraid of haveing a romatatic relationship??
    ..I've introduce him to a couple of beautiful women...but that didn't work out for reasons I'm not sure of??...but the point is..you have to put one foot forward if you want to enjoy life.
    And you can do that without doing the bar scene/ drinking and being wild.
    Just be yourself do your own thing...even if it hair-lips the governor.

Also you mention about being more muscular and if its not going to be that way the rest of your life why bother?...well you need to be in good health to live a happy productive out going life, maybe not a muscle man or anything like that but to eat right and exercise thats just a part of life we all have to go through so we feel better look good...thats why we should ''bother'' your body is the most important thing on this earth so why not ''bother'' to take good care of it.

Last edited by chevyman; 03-30-2006 at 12:33 PM.

Closed Thread