It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Can't lose weight, no will power

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
    Towers01
    (female)

Towers01 HB User
    Unhappy Can't lose weight, no will power

I am having a terrible time trying to loose weight. It is not only affecting our married life but our social life as well. I have a 2 and a 4 year old and every other mother I see out there with small children are so skinny. I am at my highest ever. I never want to go out because I can't fit into any of my clothes anymore. I have tried and been everywhere but I can't keep my will power going. I will loose 10 lbs. then go right back to where I was. I do not know what my deal is. I really need some support. Anyone have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
    NYLady1976
    (female)

NYLady1976 HB User
    Re: Can't loose weight, no will power

Hello Towers,

I know exactly where you are coming from. I do not call it will power, I call it won't power.

Have you thought about Weight Watchers?? I lost about 50 lbs over 13 years ago, and kept it off. I still go to meetings once a week, and weigh in once a month. I have always struggled with my weight. I totally understand the eternal diet. Weight Watchers is not a diet. It is a healthier way to eat and live.

I know how hard it is. I was also the same way, lose 10 pounds, then for some reason, just stop. I had joined Weight Watchers a bunch of times, and finally told myself, this time I will become a life time member. It took me less then a year to lose. I am proud that I am a life time member. I have my ups and downs, but never ever go over 3 or 4 pounds above my goal.

They have program now called. The Core, and you can eat as much as you want of certain foods, and are never deprived. You can still have everything you love. And the best part, you never have to weigh or measure anything. When I say certain, it is meats, poultry, fruit, veggies and dairy products. You get a certain amount of extra special things every week, so that if you want cake or icecream or a burger with fries, you can.

I think one major thing, is you really have to be ready and want to lose the weight. I knew I was, finally. I don't know how much you would like to lose, but just keep thinking of how good it feels to be slimmer. I know it is easier said then done. Just do it for you. I know it is hard when you have small kids, but it is also important to teach them healthy eating and snacking.

I wish you well. Just remember, it's not how many times you fall down, but how many times you pick yourself up.

Also, if you always do what you did, you will always get what you got.

Be well.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-24-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
    Towers01
    (female)

Towers01 HB User
    Smile Re: Can't loose weight, no will power

Thank you very much! I actually have tried Weight Watcher's. I did love it and did lose weight, but of course stopped after a while. One of my sister's is on it as well.
    I am at 186, 5'2, 29 YO...Before I was pregnant I was at 115 and I couldn't believe I used to think I was fat then.

I do eat the WW English muffin sandwiches for breakfast all the time, but I just don't want to stop snacking all day. Anything I can get my hands on. I am really upset w/ myself. I walk 2.5 miles almost everyday and that seems to not be working. I know it's me and the food, but I just don't know when to stop sometimes.

I would love the support and advice if you can give it!

Old 10-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
    ktt
    (female)

ktt HB User
    Re: Can't loose weight, no will power

Hi Towers,

Have to agree with everything NY Lady said. A group of people striving for the same goal can support and help each other and since you know you're going to see the group peridoically and check on each other's progress, it kinds of keeps you on track when you're in the mood to snack on those high fat sweets etc.

That said you also have to be ready to really want to commit yourself to the time and effort it takes to lose weight and if you find you're not there yet, don't stress out about it. Do what you can do. Maybe if you find you can't commit to losing weight right now you could commit to not gaining any more and concentrate on eating healthy food etc until the time is right for you.

I also would hope that you remember you are more than a number on a scale. I am sure you are a person with many wonderful qualities and have people who love you no matter what you weigh so don't base your self worth on weight alone. We are all works in progress after all

Good Luck

Old 10-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
    frankiesmom
    (female)

frankiesmom HB User
    Re: Can't lose weight, no will power

Try hypnosis; it's worked for a lot of people. If you want to spend the money, go to a hypnotherapist, but a self hypnosis cd worked on me and they are usually no more than $20 or so. I got mine off ebay.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
    Frozen
    (female)

Frozen HB User

Wow! I could have written your post, including having a 4 year old.

It sounds like you need an anchor to keep you from straying off your program, whichever program you choose. This message board is a wonderful place and I find that the good people here never tire of giving me the support I need. I make sure I come here every day just to keep myself in the weight loss mind set.

I'm also doing the WW Core plan, and it really suits my lifestyle. I love pasta, and whole wheat pasta is a core food. I can eat it until I'm satisfied, without counting points. Same with brown rice. And I find I prefer these foods to the old white junky starches I was used to. Making a lot of little changes, instead of one big change like trying to starve myself, has kept me sane and has helped me drop 13lbs in 5 weeks.

My daughter also prefers the healthier versions of the foods we like, and my hope is that she carries these good habits forward and passes them along to my future grandchildren. And I just might be helping my husband live a longer life.

Best wishes to you on your journey. Stick with us and we'll help carry you through. {{HUGS}}

Old 10-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
    NYLady1976
    (female)

NYLady1976 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Can't lose weight, no will power

Everyone here is giving very valuable advice. One thing that I forgot to mention, and I cannot believe I did, is exercise.

Now I am not talking about going to the gym, and heavy duty equipment, but how about taking your kids in the stroller for a 10 minute walk, and then increasing it by 5 minutes everytime you walk. It will clear your head, and you will feel good. Taking care of small kids, in fact taking care of kids is the hardest hardest harrrdest job in the world.

I think what happens to us, is we get so fed up with always having to watch what we eat, we get aggravated and frustrated and then say, why bother, I never succeed. I think trying to stay persistant and consistant is a big help. Try making small changes and reward yourself when you have a good day, or even a so so day. Is it possible when the kids are in bed, to just take time for you, and maybe something special as a bubble bath???

I know the struggles of weight and they truly suck. It is hard to lose weight, and hard to maintain and keep it off. I think it is all in the attitude, and trying to stay focused. If you do slip, just forgive yourself and move on. I know for me, I would punish myself and give up. When I finally made the decision to do it, I really felt it was my time. I ust took it one hour at a time, and it did come off. Slowly but surly. It felt good being able to go shopping and buy what I wanted, not what fit. Remember, if your best friend was having weight loss issues, you would support her, and forgive her, Why can't we do that for ourselves?? You would never be mean to her, or berrate her. Be good to you. You deserve it.

I wish you the best, and will check here daily to see how things are going. Just remember, don't be so hard on yourself. Love yourself. You are worth it. I am thinking of you, and all of us who struggle every day.

Last edited by NYLady1976; 10-25-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
    exprongerfan
    (female)

exprongerfan HB User

Hi Towers,

I am 75 lbs. through a 129lb. loss...one of the things that got me through my first 75 (along with a balanced diet and daily exercise) was a list of things I wanted to do that I couldn't do before. My list isn't very long but it's a good reminder of why I'm doing what I'm doing. It has included things like "I want to keep up with the kids at work" and "I want to shop at regular stores" (spending my teens in a plus-size store was a bit depressing!) As these things are accomplished, I add a new item to my list. Having something other than a number/dress size to aim for has put more purpose into my efforts.

I also kept a food journal to help me learn where my by bad habits were coming from. I wrote down everything I ate and, at the end of each day, I wrote down how I felt about it, what I could have changed and what I did well. Remember to point out all the good things you're doing for yourself!

Best wishes!

Closed Thread