It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Flat Stomach Help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Flat Stomach Help

I consider myself a pretty healthy person. My only problem is that I gain weight all in my midsection! I know certain foods can tend to do this more than others. What do you all recommend to stop this from happening?

Here is a typical day for me:
Breakfast - Powerbar
Lunch - Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with lettuce and tomatoes, an apple with peanut butter
Dinner - Tuna with relish, yogurt, almonds

Typical workout:
Jogging outside (time varies depening on how hard I work)
or Pilates
or Eliptical machine and light weights
(I vary my workokuts so I don't get bored with the same thing)

I'm at a healthy weight for myself. I am 5'4" and 125 pounds, but I would like to lose about 5 pounds in my midsection, especially by summertime!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. and also any healthy snacks that are VERY low in calories. Sometimes I get hungry in the middle of the day and could use some good ideas for that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: Flat Stomach Help

Hi,
Try to keep a precise count of your calories! the tuna and bread are pretty high in calories also the breakfast bar is too unless the bar is all you have for breakfast... snacks during the day?? try low cal yougart, fruits/ even pop-corn but not the whole partion bag... bout half of it, some nuts like almonds make a good low cal snack but not to many, table spoon of peanut butter might help during the day if your having trouble with mid day hungar? eat something with proteine and in mobderation don't worry so much with the calories, your not going to have that many calories in a low cal hi proteine snack anywayzz just don't over snack...lol

...but as for as target the mid section to be slimmer or lose that ''belly and make it hard firmer, just keep on doing your exercise walking/jogging is great, also at night before you bath/shower before bed time lay down in the floor and put your legs togather and lift your legs about 4 inches off the floor and hold for about 15 /20 seconds or as long as you can until you feel the burn in your midsection your legs will get tired and you may have some side cramps at first do like maybe 6 or 7 the first time you do it, then each night do a little more until you can do about 20 of them...and do these every night.
stand up straight with your legs spread about 2 1/2 feet apart and touch your left toe then back up touch your right toe without bending your knees. thats what my g/f does and she has this big ball thingy she rolls her back on? pushes with her legs ect,,ect,, I don't know for sure what that does?

Last edited by chevyman; 02-02-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I actually used to get the 100 calorie popcorn mini bags.. do you think those would be a good snack? I also love yogurt so I'll keep buying that.

Yes, I only eat the Powerbar for breakfast and the ones I get are about 200 calories. What kind of tuna has a lot of calories? I get the canned kind and it only has 110 calories, and then I don't add mayo or anything like that. I never actually cook my own tuna! I'm a student and have to make pretty simple things since I run around a lot.

Thanks for the workout tips.. I'll have to try that touching toe one. I already do those kinds of leg lifts. In addition to the workouts I said I do, I usually hang from pull up bars and lift my legs up, do crunches, push ups, and a bunch of other small exercises. Pilates has been helpful but maybe it will just take time for this...

Do you think the fact that I'm sensitive to food can also be making my stomach do that? I've been getting bloated often to the point where I'll gain up to 5 pounds just from water weight.. certain dairy products, certain vegetables, some nuts, eggs, soy products, and even fruit in the morning upset my stomach and I feel all puffed up! I hate it!! I don't really know how to stop it b/c it seems like more and more foods keep irritating me.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I'm not sure about the foods that upset your stomach thats a good question for your Doctor!

Any exercise you do is good its just hard to target a certain section of your body and belly fat is usally the hardest to get rid of, and the last unfortunately.

The tuna comes usally packed in in oil or water, ues the water form and the label is for 2 servings per can so don't get that confused and the water is half the calories you mention thats in yours.... water tuna for 1/4 cup is 60 calories per serving. its just little things like that that add up when your counting calories its good that you don't use condiments in it but aint that a little dry?
and theres no fats in water tuna.

if I eat tuna I don't make a sandwhich ,I make tuna fish salad I do add tbs Hellmann's mayo, slice pickels/with juice chopped onions, chopped celry, pepper and salt substuite.. I just spread it on a toasted slice of whole wheat , bout a good Tbs full and eat slowly then I can have me another...the two useally toatals 400 calories but it fills me up.

yogart be sure and get the light low yogart, I buy the yoplait light thick & creamy fat -free, its 100 cal per container but its a good treat , I eat maybe 3 a week at night time.
matter fact oprah's trainer Bob Greene recommends this yougart in his new ''bestlife diet''

as for as the breakfast bars try fiber one or just about any kind of low fat fruit and grain bar there a little lower in calories like 140 per bar.

this may not sound that far off, but when your counting calories you need to find the low cal foods especially your snacks.
so your allowed more calories at meal times.

Last edited by chevyman; 02-02-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks.. I'll ask my doctor about my stomach problems.

I buy the small cans of tuna so I make sure I'm eating the right amount! I've definitely seen that some have more than one serving and so do some of those packages. I'll keep it in mind to check every time.

Yes, I think I'll try to find really low calorie snacks as you recommend. I love fruit so I've been trying to eat more of it!!

I notice a difference this week in my stomach.. hopefully it stays that way! I went out to eat on the fourth year I've been with my boyfriend and took home a lot of my meal.. I think this is one thing I really need to start doing since the portions are so large at restaurants! Later on I went out for Mexican food and mostly ate the chips and salsa. I ordered a small $2 chicken taco that was meant to be ordered as a side dish. I felt SO much better not stuffing myself.

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 02-04-2007 at 09:16 AM.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Thats great, keep up the good work!
Also for a night time snack I find that a piese of whole grain wheat toast a little bit of promise light veggie oil spread bout 1/2 t-spoon maybe not that much and about half tea-spoon of grape jelly/or your choice of jelly.
you may not know it but jelly is pretty low in calories.

for example..I use Sara Lee classic 100% whole wheat bread 80 calories per slice, add the spread and jelly 1/2 tea-spoon for the spread its like45 cal per table spoon so half that 22 caloires, same same for the jelly I always look at the labels, the jelly I have right now is just the cheap Bama brand grape its 50 calories per table spoon so half that 25...
total calories =137..thats a little less that the average granola and low fat fruit & grain bars that are so expensive.
as you learn to count calories you come up with different ideas, how to mix and prepare your foods.
if I go out to a reaturant I always try not to be so hungry because the temptation is to demanding, same way buying grocerys!

yes mam, fruits are good low caloire snacks but you need to realize that some fruits have more calories in them small vs large, no pun intended but in this case small is better...lol
a bannana has an average calorie count of 90-100 a large apple has like 125 cal vs a small apple around 70 cal.

you can buy a small pocket booklet, that has your most common everyday foods, that has calorie count by weight, measure, and always always check the food labels

its the little things that sure add up a lot and counting calories you need to be precise each day, if you do you will see great results at the scales and around your stmoach.

experiment and if you don't follow your calories count for each day, you will see what I'm talking about.

now with that said, always try to eat sensible and have the correct foods that are good for you nutrition wise.

I have a cheat day once a month and go whole hog...but thats just me it keeps me from really cheating the rest of the month/exercise that day off basicly do a mere more exercise the next day time wise.

Its hard to count calories but after you get use to it its not so bad, its the only thing that HAS HELP ME LOSE.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks I'll try out that night snack you suggested.. sounds good! Oh and good thing I actually prefer the taste of a lot of the smaller apples !

Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Thanks I'll try out that night snack you suggested.. sounds good! Oh and good thing I actually prefer the taste of a lot of the smaller apples !
Thats great, don't forget to ''exercise...

oh btw that night snack I mention is one piese of bread that sara lee has good texture and fills me up a lot better than the other breads do and I was wrong on that calorie count it is 127 not 137.
sorry... I try to count every inch ... I mean every calorie.

Last edited by chevyman; 02-05-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Great! I don't buy Sara Lee but I'll try it next time I go to the store. Oh and I had mentioned tuna.. sometimes I buy those tuna pouches.. I know some of them have more than one serving but a particular one had only one serving.. so they are good to make sure you don't overeat it! Thanks for all the tips.

Closed Thread