It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

increasing metabolism?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
mmmcoffee
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
increasing metabolism?

This is a stupid question, but. . . . . Does caffeine increase metabolism or just make you jittery? Here's what I'm getting at...I drink alot of coffee (hence the screen name...lol) but have been very tired/low energy lately. I have been back on eating less/moving more (I hate to say 'diet') but have been really tired. For a person who's usually up at 5am, for me to hit the snooze button 3 or 4 times before I'm out of bed is unusual . I've been easing into the excercise---bike or treadmill about 20-30 minutes at least 3 times a week and small hand weights for about a half hour daily---and eating lots of salad, fruits, yogurt, meal bars etc etc. a little meat, and trying to stay away from ice cream, candy and chips--junk food. Would more caffeine get me back up to a better energy level? I'm not taking the lipodrene anymore. I didn't like the way I felt on it. WAY TOO jittery, but coffee doesn't bother me like that. I guess I just need to vent or something, not sure. What ever happened to NO DOZ? Do they still make that?

Any suggestions on increasing the energy level?

Thanks-----mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
rock2428
(male)

rock2428 HB User
Re: increasing metabolism?

It's possible that your body's just taking a little time to get used to the changes and that's why you're feeling a little sluggish. If you've just redone your eating habits and, more importantly, started exercising, I don't think it's uncommon for you to feel more tired. I would expect that in a week or two, you'll start to feel back to normal (or maybe even a little more peppy).

I wouldn't recommend loading up on any extra caffeine. Yes, it's a stimulant, but like anything else your body's going to adapt to it and then you get the fun of caffeine-related headaches, etc, if you don't maintain that level.

A couple other quick thoughts - How often are you eating? It's possible you're not feeling as good because you're going too long without feeding your body. Also, what you're eating before bed (assuming you've changed that aspect of your diet) may be interrupting your sleep a little. Just throwing it out there. Lastly, how long have you been off the lipodrene? If it's only been a short-time, that could have a lot to do with it.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
mmmcoffee
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Thanks for your response. I've been off the lipodrene for months. I've thought about taking it for the energy, but makes me too shaky. I usually have 2 cups coffee in a.m. before leaving house (I leave at 6:15), bring one with me, make more coffee after lunch, so probably 6 cups (big travel mugs) a day.

It's probably because I'm trying to excercise regularly--and I'm getting tired. I've also been on the move constantly. I help take care of my (old and partially senile) parents and their house in addition to my own home with 2 kids. Maybe I'm just doing too much all at once. It's tough to try to keep up with TWO households. Don't know. Maybe I don't even need as much excercise as I've been trying to do considering the amount of housework and stuff I"ve been doing. Maybe I just need a vacation! God, that would be nice....lol...someday

Is there a message board for stressed out,a little neurotic, a little overweight, a little too busy moms/wives ? LOL!

Thanks for listening and responding. have a great day!

----mmmcoffee

P.S.---my kids were both born in Philly!

Last edited by mmmcoffee; 02-10-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mmmcoffee,

Yes, coffee increases your metabolism. That's why caffeine is the main effective agent in almost all OTC diet meds. I drink my 42 ounces come Hell or high water.

Working out more + eating less = more tired. That's a GIVEN!
A hard day on the treadmill is the reason the snooze button was invented.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-11-2007 at 07:24 AM.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

They still make No Doz or similar kinds of medicine since I last checked.. I bought a store brand kind pretty recently. I only use it on "emergency" days when I feel like I will fall asleep at work or in class. I was getting to the point where I would be reading out loud and slurring because I would start falling asleep. Even if coffee did not increase metabolism (which I hear does), it helps me lose weight since I have more energy to go work out and not be laying around being sleepy!

Closed Thread