It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

128 to 118..Possible??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
pearly
(female)

pearly HB User
128 to 118..Possible??

I am a female 5'6'' age 24 and I feel OK about 128lbs but really want to drop ten pounds for my wedding and be a thin 118lbs. Can I do this?? I workout most days and stretch, walk,elliptical, weights, and a class or tow during the week. I have been really confused on caloric intake... i read 800 is great to drop and then eat more to loose...eat often... eat small and three times... alll this stuff in my head. I thought I could detox and just fast...juice...eat more.... I am so confused. HOW CAN I LOOSE TEN POUNDS???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
livinTX
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: 128 to 118..Possible??

First, you don't need to lose weight. Your weight is perfect for your height. If you want to tone up, do strength training with weights, but I don't think you need to diet.

800 calories a day is low...very low and too low. It will put your body into starvation mode. Anything under 1200 calories is too low and puts your body into starvation mode, breaking down protein and muscle. Since you're so active, you probably should eat more like 1400-1500 calories a day and you will probably still lose weight. It is possible you are not losing weight because you are at a healthy, set point weight for your height and frame. It is very difficult to go below the low-end set point; when you do, you first become underweight and second, you start showing characteristics of an eating disorder (and may even develop an eating disorder). I did, from doing overexercise, super-low calorie intake, and going below my low-end set weight, which for me was 115 lb. (I'm 5'4" with a small frame.) It took years to recover from anorexia, and those ED thoughts are still with me, but at least I'm healthy again.

I don't think you need to diet. Just look into toning exercises for to shape up different muscle sections.

Please be careful. You don't want to be feeling depressed and miserable on your wedding day because you've been severely undereating beforehand.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
twiceblessed
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User

I agree with the previous reply...

Your height/weight put you at the LOW end of "normal" scale. You want to look beautiful on your wedding day, not sick - right? It sounds like you're the perfect size to me. And if you want to tone up - go for it! But the 800 calorie thing is not only crazy, but dangerous. Do you know how many people starve themselves for their wedding only to pass out? Not a pretty sight.

Remember that we all have a tendency to overestimate the way that we carry our weight. Why do you think their is such a hype about 'body image"? You want to be 118 - I am an inch shorter than you (5'5") and last time I was that weight people asked if I had been ill!! Yuk...not exactly the look I was going for!

Good luck to you, you don't mention when the wedding is, but I hope whatever you do is healthy.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Islandgirl1970
(female)

Islandgirl1970 HB User

5'6" and 118lbs?? That's impossible I think! I'm only 5"3 and my lowest weight is 115. It's something like 100 pounds for the first 5 feet, then add 5 pounds per inch. So 5"3 would be 115, 5'6" would be 130 lbs. That's just general though, if you've been 118 before mayb eyou can do it again, esp if you are small boned. You have to be careful cuz your body will breakdown muscle if you have little or no fat to lose. I recommend pilates with the proper equipment not windsor pilates. It's the only thing that will really lengthen and tone your muscles, which will make you look thinner, without even the weight loss. I saw an infomercial the other night for supreme pilates google it if you are interested.

I read an article in a womans magazine that suggested one way to lose weight is to eat normal for your height/weight/age one day then eat half that the next, I think it's to keep your body from going into starvation mode which it will when you cut your intake down too low for too long, it adapts.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

My sister is in her 50's and is 5'6" and has weighed between 115 and 120# for the last 40 years. Her figure is statuesque with a rather largish bust and she still turns heads.

I think a goal of 118 is admirable.
To lose 10 pounds requires at least 10 weeks of dieting eating 500 less or burning 500 more calories per day.
There is no shortcut.

For somebody at 128 pounds, I think doing it over 20 weeks (with a 250/day calorie deficit) is an even better idea. The slower it comes off the less likely it will come right back on.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Muzkmkr
(female)

Muzkmkr HB User

I think there are other aspects of your wedding that you probably should be thinking about. You sound perfect to me.I agree with twiceblessed...I'm 5'5" and when I weighed 115 I thought I was perfect. Looking at pictures of myself when I was at that weight woke me up.....I looked terrible. I'd work on toning muscles, but don't be so concerned about the scale. Happy Wedding!

Old 02-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am 5'4" and my weight I think I look good at is 115-118ish. Sounds like you are the perfect ideal weight for your height, but I totally understand how you feel about the wedding coming up and everything! I'll be getting married in the next two years or so and I want to do the same!

I would also focus more on how your body LOOKS than what you weigh. Maybe you will weigh the same amount but your body will look different. I agree that 800 calories a day is very low! I would be so hungry doing that. I would say 1200 is more of a reasonable amount to lose weight with. Maybe just try a new kind of workout that your body isn't used to, so it will be a challenge. Try a personal trainer if you can. Also focus on what you are eating. Try to snack on fruits and veggies and other healthy low calorie options. Just try to find little things you can change each day.. it makes a difference over time. Sounds like you already have a good workout plan.. you can always up the time by a little bit each day and you will probably lose more that way! And of course.. drink lots of water.. you will lose any extra water weight that way and it will help you feel more full with meals.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
cuddledumplin
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

I'm not going to say that you can't lose it because it is possible, but 800 calories per day and juice fasts don't promote lasting weight loss. You'll probably gain it all back plus a little more. 1500 is probably a good caloric intake to promote weight loss (just for informational purposes). Since you're not overweight, why not concentrate on toning what you have. I'm sure your fiancé loves you the way you are.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
stone pony
(female)

stone pony HB User
Unhappy Re: 128 to 118..Possible??

I'm 5'5" and my lowest (anorexic) weight was 103 lbs. I looked terminal.

As the result of 40 yrs of cycling through anorexia/recovery/anorexia (etc), my health is ruined and I gain weight if I eat more than 400 calories a day, so I would not encourage anyone to try and take weight-loss shortcuts.

Blessings,

sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl1970 View Post
5'6" and 118lbs?? That's impossible I think! I'm only 5"3 and my lowest weight is 115.

Closed Thread