It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Help Please

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
steve1007
(male)

steve1007 HB User
Help Please

now im currently wanting to lose weight and have been trying to find the correct advice to do this (by the way im male) .....i keep hearing conflicting ideas everywhere i look....so ill tell u what im currently doing first.

i eat 3 meals a day of between 200 - 500 callories. thus a total daily intake of between 1000 - 1500... no snacks!! ( i feel i could reduce this even more but have heard this may stop me losing weight and slow the metabolisim?)

i also now walk to work everyday which is 4miles there and back....

1) is this enough...will i lose weight...and will it take forever...

2) ive heard on places that my callorie intake is too high and too low..which is it and is this hindering my progress.?

3) although i do eat pretty well at each meal time does it make a diffrence what type of foods makes up my 500 calories.

4) i also have been taking vitamins each morning and hoodia herbal suppliments to try reduce my snacking and try to eat fiber foods......agin is this wise?

how much can i expect to lose on my current plan each week...and any suggestions to refine this...

thank you for any help......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
steve1007
(male)

steve1007 HB User
Re: Help Please

anyone please????????

Old 02-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
LisaFaith
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

Congratulations on taking the first step!

Answers to your questions (my personal opinions only of course ):

#1- the excercise is good for you, and you will probably lose weight in the beginning, but you really need to make it a fast paced walk, where you get your heartbeat up for 30-40 minutes. Just walking alone won't do it though. Muscle helps burn fat, so a little bit of weight training will help.

#2- I think for a male your caloric intake is actually a little low. My understanding is that males need between 1500-2000 daily. I could be off on that though. If your body is not getting enough calories, it will store the one's you do eat as fat. It's probably best to consult with your doctor about how many calories will work best for you.

#3- Veggies, lean proteins, and whole grain foods should be mostly what you eat. And drink lots and lots of water. Snacks are fine, as long as they are healthy snacks.

#4- Vitamins are good. I don't know much about Hoodia, but personally, I'm not into "weight loss" pills.

You should only lose about 1-2 pounds a week in order to maintain a long term weight loss. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
ktt
(female)

ktt HB User

Hi Steve,

I would start with somewhere around 1800 calories. Most men can lose weight on somewhere between 1500-2000 calories depending on how much they exercise and how fast their metabolism is.

I would concentrate on eating healthy well balanced meals since this is the type of eating you want to make a habit. You could lose weight eating just junk food but your body needs real nourishment and won't thank you for giving it just junk. Try to get your adequate share of carbs, proteins and healthy fats. They are all important to your body and each category of food has its own function in the body. Carbs supply your main energy, protein is for repair and healthy fats can keep your cholesterol at a good range and are important for your skin, hair, nails and immune system.

Choose lean meats or fish mostly for protein, whole grain complex carbs like brown rice, whole wheat breads or pasta, beans etc. and healthy oils like olive oil, canola oil or nuts. Veggies are great for fiber and giving you a lot for a little calories so you can fill up on those when you are feeling hungry.

Keep a food log and measure and weigh what you eat so you get to know portion sizes. Drink water and get enough sleep. Those will help you lose weight.

For exercise, walking is a great exercise, just make sure you are in an aerobic zone so you feel like you are breaking a sweat. There are lots of walking plans out there that you may want to investigate. You can change the way you walk to make it more interesting i.e have fast days, easy days, interval training days etc. Make sure you have a great pair of shoes so you don't have joint or feet problems.

Noone can predict how fast weight loss will occur. It's too dependent on too many factors such as your basic metabolism, your diet, how hard you exercise etc but you can be reasonably certain that if you eat healthy and move more and stay within a caloric limit, the weight will come off. Good Luck

Closed Thread