It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

How do I get off this plateau?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
LisaFaith
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User
How do I get off this plateau?

I started working out last May, and lost 20 pounds by December. Since then I haven't been able to lose a single pound. I'm so frustrated that I stopped going to the gym about 2 weeks ago. I (thankfully) haven't gained anything back, but I just can't get motivated to get back to the gym. What can I do to help myself get off of this plateau and lose weight again? I still have 40-50 pounds to go...

Last edited by LisaFaith; 02-22-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
YorkieLuvr
(female)

YorkieLuvr HB User
Re: How do I get off this [email protected]!% plateau?

The diet plateau is so discouraging, but happens to everyone. Mine lasted for weeks and weeks. Just jump back into your exercise and diet program and you will begin to see results again.

You might want to start a food diary just to make sure your nutritional intake is on target with your daily goals.

Instead of focusing on the numbers on your scale, start taking your measurements. If you are building muscle, that would explain you not losing weight.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
lzing2
(female)

lzing2 HB User

I found when this happened to me that if I mixed what I was eating during the day it seemed to help,If you have your fruit for breakfast try protein, or the other way around and so on...also if you journal your food it is amazing how little things like not measuring the cream cheese we put on something can impact the scales...don't stop your food journal or weighing and measuring your food...believe me it cost me thousands of dollars to get it right over the years and my nutrishonist preeches to me weekly on the importance of it.....very few ever judge our portions exact when trying to fight the battle and when you do start getting it exact it sure makes a difference.... . and YorkieLuvr is right stick with your exercise program! You will break the plateau and then it's off to the races again....hang in there!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
cuddledumplin
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

You could try changing up your exercise routine. Your body gets used to doing the same workout after awhile, so even if you just do something different one day per week, it can help. Cross-training is ideal to burst through plateaus. I also agree that diligence in calorie counting helps.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
ktt
(female)

ktt HB User

HI Lisa,

I had a plateau in Dec where I gained and lost the same two pounds all month long. I broke it in Jan by increasing the intensity of my exercise program making sure while I was at the gym, I was really breaking a sweat on those cardio machines. Seems to have worked since I've lost 15 pounds since the new year. You can also try cutting your calories a little by a hundred or so or conversely increasing your calories a little. Sometimes increasing your calories may speed up your metabolism if you haven't been eating enough. At other times you just have to have patience since it may be only water weight that's influencing the scale. You can cut out salt and high sodium foods if you think water weight is the problem and also drink more water to help flush everything out. Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
LisaFaith
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User
Re: How do I get off this plateau?

I've never done food journaling, or counting calories. Maybe I should try one of the two. I have 3 kids (ages 7,5,& 2) and I just feel like I'm so busy with them all the time, when do I have the time to do extra work?

Closed Thread