It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Supplements?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Supplements?

Are there any ''one'' perticular supplement that your body needs just incase your not getting all the nurtints your body needs?
the way I have to eat my meals I'm not so sure if I'm getting all my nutrints that I need? like fiber ,iron, protein,, I have lost a lot of weight this last year and I'm proud of my self but I think maybe some things are ''catching'' up with me?
FEEL TIRED LATELY WITH NO ENERGY!
I try to eat good healthy foods when I do eat, I don't eat junk foods or fast foods, but I'm on the go a lot and sometimes just grab this or that, not those diet bars or anything like that but just regular food type stuff LOW CALORIE FOODS and I'm not so sure if I get all my nurtrints I need.
I was thinking bout getting me some type of vitimins supplements but not a cabint full...just one

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
livinTX
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Supplements?

If you have low energy, you might try a B-vitamin complex. The B vitamins are good for energy and stress. They work best together, so it is best to buy them in 1 complex.

But if you've lost a lot of weight recently and have low energy and are sure you are taking in enough calories daily to correspond with your activity levels, you might also look into getting your thyroid tested. My husband has thyroid issues and even just stress at his job can cause his level of medication to need adjustment, and I don't think it is unreasonable that weight loss/change of diet could have an effect on the way your thryoid is functioning.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Junior77
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

Check my thread in the Vitamin Supplements section of this site chevyman. It's labled "Centrum or 1 a day." I got some good advice from vitamin experts in that thread and it seems like you could use that thread.

The multivitamin I got suggested (and am going to start taking) is "Alive" by natures way.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
ktt
(female)

ktt HB User

HI Chevyman,

Are you getting enough good quality sleep? Most people don't get enough and drag themselves through part of the day. If you're not sleep deprived, could you be overexercising? That can also deplete your energy.

They do have online resources that describe vitamin deficiency symptoms but you could just take a multi vitamin to ensure you're covered across the board. That's probably the simplest solution if you rule out sleep deprivation or overexertion.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
kittywitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Hey, Chevy -

Make sure the vitamins you take are whole food types, as oppose to synthetic types. They're a little more expensive, but well worth it. I took Centrum (synthetic) for years and it didn't give me much energy at all, then I switched to a whole food type (MegaFoods) and I feel great. They have specific ones for men and women. You can find them at a vitamin/health food store.

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-02-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Thank you guys, I'll check into that vitamin thread.
ktt you could be right I don't think I'm getting enough sleep/rest can't sleep at night and I get so sleeply at work, does off and catch myself falling off a cliff..I'm not sure if you guys do that or not when your very tired and sleeply?
I sure do.
I don't think I over exercise , I do exercise but here lately I have to ''drag'' myself to get on the machines, but after my exercise I feel ok for a while.

I guess I need to say to you guys that I'm having realtionship problems with my g/f..she is sooo jelous of me sinse I lost my weight..I can't look at another women with out her making some crude remark , or if a woman looks at me and smiles , she gets so upset when that happens?
thank goodness she is away a lot with her job R we may part ways if she keeps it up with her uncanny behavior(jelously) the thing is I don't give her a reason to be?
maybe thats whats wrong with me lack of sleep? I probably get 2 - 4 hours a night.
anywayz this is not about my realtionship ...''sorry''
but thank you guys.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
kittywitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

Two to four hours a night? Yeah, I'd say you're a tad bit sleep deprived. If I tried running on that, I'd collapse.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
Junior77
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

I'm not too experienced in that relationship thing chevyman so I don't think I can give you much tips on that part. Have you thought about marriage counseling? Maybe that can be a help. Sorry I couldn't help you too much chevyman but I tried .

Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
kittywitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seems to me that she's really insecure. I go through the same thing with my husband all the time. I lost 30-40 lbs four years ago and have kept it off. He gets quite jealous now when guys check me out.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
chevyman
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

oh I know Jr, I know this is not a realtionship thread, I was just giving a little insight as to maybe why I been feeling tired...= lack of sleep I guess!

Yes my g/f maybe insecure thats forsure, but I did'nt lose my weight to turn heads I lost my weight for me....she is the one that always turn heads and she still does but I'm use to it that don't bother me...I tell her I'm the luckly one I have her...which I wish she would tell me that.

anyway I'm going to see my Dr Tuesday and get a complete phyiscal, maybe he will prescribe me some Trazodone HCL or some type of something that will let me sleep and rest.
Thanks Guys!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
livinTX
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

chevyman,

Have you tried melatonin or Valerian root for sleep? I use Valerian root in conjunction with a chelated magnesium complex and that really helps my sleep. Magnesium is good for sleep too and the chelated version is easiest on your stomach and bowels.

I'm posting this since I've always had sleep problems. The only prescription that really helped me sleep was Seroquel but after I moved, the new doc didn't want to prescribe it for sleep. I tried Trazodone but didn't like it because first, my body seemed to fight it, and second, the dose required to get me to sleep left me groggy in the morning (and with cotton mouth too). Ambien gave me panic attacks and Rozerem wired me so I didn't sleep for 3 nights straight.

Valerian root stinks to high heaven but it is worth it since it gets me to sleep and it feels natural. That's what I like best about it. I tried melatonin too, and it seemed to work for me but not as well as the Valerian (naturally not, since the melatonin doesn't smell at all!).

I think lack of sleep is a good reason why you're so tired lately! I hope you find something to help you sleep!

Old 03-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
twiceblessed
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User

Chevyman,

SOrry to hear about what's going on. I agree that it is sleep deprivation over lack of nutrients though.

My husband and I went through a VERY rocky patch this summer and neither of us slept for DAYS ON END. It was insane and effected his job miserably. (I don't work) But it made it hard to function sleeping 15-30 minutes at a time a few times a night! (sound familiar??) ANyway....I agree, try some melatonin. It doesn't knock you out like a sleeping pill, but then again it doesn't make you feel groggy in the a.m. like one either.

I hope things get better on the home front for you!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #13
livinTX
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

chevy,

I've had no side effects from Valerian other than that it is a very stinky herb! If you have cats, be careful, they will react to it like catnip. But it works for me. Try buying both the Valerian and melatonin and maybe try the melatonin first and see if it works since it does not smell at all, and get yourself a good chelated magnesium supplement. Valerian alone doesn't work for me; if my magnesium runs out, I have difficulties sleeping (but neither does the magnesium alone do it). The best thing is I sleep through the night (if I wake I can go right back to sleep in less than 5 minutes usually) and I am not groggy in the morning.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #14
kittywitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
hi, kitty, my g/f use to tell me she don't care where I get my apptite just as long as I come home to eat.........her.
HaHaHaHaHaHa (LOL)

Of course we love ya! You sound like a really sweet guy, just a little under appreciated I think.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #15
ktt
(female)

ktt HB User

Hi Chevyman,

Sleep deprivation will really make you feel like crap so that sounds like the problem. I have use melatonin, 1/2 a tablet a few times and that worked for me when I couldn't sleep. The doc prescribed Trazodone for my mom last year and she practically went into a coma from it (she was stroke disabled and literally after taking it for a few days, I couldn't get her to get up at all, she wanted to sleep 24/7 so I discontinued that med immeduately). I would also be wary of Ambien especially if someone has other health issues. My brother died unexpectedly a few years ago and I think Ambien may have contributed to his death. by depressing his respiratory system. He had Hep C and I guess it wasn't a good combo with that disease and ambien. Be careful.

You can also try deep breathing at night to calm your mind and relax your body or sometimes doing something in your head like multiplication tables can make you fall asleep probably from boredom LOL. Good Luck. Sweet Dreams

Closed Thread