It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

Marking time and sticker charts

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Frozen
(female)

Frozen HB User
Marking time and sticker charts

I've come to a realization lately -- marking time is essential to keeping me on track. I know what I need to do and I know how to do it, but it's so darned easy to get distracted. Before you know it, months have passed with no progress or even a dreaded weight gain all because of something meaningless distracting me from this big get-healthy project.

WW was helping me because I only had to make it through the week between weigh-ins. Any backsliding could be fixed the next week. I know, I know...we should take this thing one bite at a time, but my brain doesn't work that way. Marking time by the week helped a bunch...but I don't have $40 a month to dedicate to meetings that really weren't teaching me anything. And a lot can go awry during a distracted week.

I started thinking about how motivated kids are by stickers. I can get my 5-year-old daughter to do just about anything I ask by rewarding her with a sticker. I have 168 days until my 20th high school reunion so I made myself a "sticker chart" in Excel with 168 numbered squares. Each square is divided in half. The top half is diet. The bottom half is exercise. If I eat "well", ie healthful choices and moderate portions throughout the day, I get a + in the top part of the square. Not really counting calories, fat or carbs because I know when I've made good choices without quantifiying these things. 20-30 minutes of exercise daily gets me a + in the bottom half. Deviation gets me a big, red - in the appropriate space.

Sounds stupid when I say it to you all, but this has really, really kept me on the straght and narrow for the past four days. I can't remember the last time I exercised four days in a row! I'm so repulsed by the idea of getting a red minus sign that I've been doing great! And, since I'm very visual, seeing my 168 days and marking them off one day at a time reminds me that my efforts every day matter. There's no putting things off until tomorrow, which has always been my downfall. Yes, I plan to continue this lifestyle change after the reunion, but the middle of August seemed like a good short-term point to focus on.

By the way, I also think that one reason diet pills work for some people is that the pills help keep track of time. Taking a supplement a few times a day equals several daily reminders to stay on your "diet" -- whether or not the supplement curbs the appetite, gives energy, etc. Just another way to mark the time.

Thanks for letting me share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
twiceblessed
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Re: Marking time and sticker charts

I don't think it sounds stupid at all! I think any sort of "accountability measures" that you can add into your routine is helpful!

Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
AmandaH
(female)

AmandaH HB User
Re: Marking time and sticker charts

Absolutely do whatever works for you and gives you motivation to stay on track! Good luck with your weight loss.

Closed Thread