It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• 1200 calories too low? Advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
    tandjsmom
    (female)

tandjsmom HB User
    1200 calories too low? Advice?

I now a little discouraged I am hoping someone can help tell me what I am doing wrong-
    I am 32 this month, 5 foot 4 inches, and 180 pounds. I have a bad knee from an injury 8 years ago.
    A little over a month ago I started Core Secrets- I like it. 2 weeks ago I started a 1500 calorie a day diet with a good balance among the protein, carbs, and fat. 1 week ago I twisted my knee and have not, and will not exercise until I see the doctor (Friday).
    But I haven't lost 1 pound! And I don't think its muscle gain either-
    Supposedly for my height, weight and activity level(at least until the knee twisting) I should be able to have about 1700-1800 calories a day.
    My sister has also battled her weight. She says she absolutely does not lose weight until shes under 1200 calories a day.We are about the same size.
    Isn't that too low? I am hungry at 1500 a day - I don't feel I could do 1200 and stick to it.
    What should I do? I really want to suceed this time around- and get healthy- any advice? Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Re: 1200 calories too low? Advice?

Well, definitely, you don't want to go under 1200 calories a day. In my opinion, even 1200 calories is on the low side. Less than 1200 calories a day on a consistent basis is dangerous, it sends your body into starvation mode and starts breaking down the muscle instead of fat. You could try dropping to 1400 cal. a day or 1350 and see if that helps, but don't go under 1200.

The other thing that may help is to be sure you are very diligent about your calorie counting. Keep a notebook of every thing you eat and do not just estimate calories. One piece of chocolate here and another there and another there throughout the day can add up. If you are eating out, you may think salad is healthy, but the dressing is loaded with fat, so you need to have the dressing on the side and get it light and use it sparingly--same thing goes with cheeses, croutons, bacon bits on the salad, that turns a healthy meal into a diet nightmare. Smaller meals spaced throughout the day are usually the best way to go.

You don't want to eat too few calories a day. That often leaves you battling severe hunger pains, which in the case of many dieters, results in the disasterous food binge since you have been so hungry all day.

Sometimes, too, when starting a new diet & exercise program, you will not see immediate results. It may take more like a month because you are replacing fat with muscle and muscle weighs more. You might try getting a sewing tape and taking measurements that way; some people see results more quickly by measuring the various body parts versus numbers on the scale--biceps, bust, waist, thighs, etc.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
    tandjsmom
    (female)

tandjsmom HB User

Thanks- I am keeping a food journal - and I know all about the salad dressing etc.- I have pretty much cut out all cookies, cakes, candy, most of my calories are coming from fruit, vegs, lots of meat, and some processed carbs
    (cereal,pretzels,etc.)
    I haven't measured with a tape measure but I am still trying to button a favorite pair of jeans. (What I hoped to be doing by now)
    I know not to expect quick results- but anything would be a plus!
    If the dr. gives the ok I will be back to some sort of exercise next week.
    If I can't exercise for a few weeks do you think weight loss is still probable ?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mom,

I'd say just wait it out. You'd be a rare 180 pounder if 1500 calories didn't cause good weight loss. But be sure your calorie count is SCRUPULOUS.
    Don't push down to 1200 calories; you may lose weight faster at first but in the long term your body will resisit your efforts.

Weight often comes off in fits and starts...I can lay at a certain weight for weeks and then WHOOSH, 4 pounds disappears seemingly overnight. There are three words we must all learn when dieting: PATIENCE, PATIENCE and PATIENCE.

Good luck with the knee...a delicate joint.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-08-2007 at 05:54 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am 5'4" and am at a normal weight for my height, but wanted to get into a little bit better shape and maybe lose up to 10 pounds. I still want to wear the same size, just mostly tone up some and flatten my stomach for swimsuit season.. eeek ! My nutritionist put me at 1500 calories but said I can try 1200 calories if it didn't work for me. Definitely don't eat less than that.. you don't want to feel hungry all the time and be tempted to eat more. You can always stick closer to 1500 calories and just cut out something small so you are somewhere in between the two. It always takes time to lose weight, so I know it's frustrating! Good luck!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
    tandjsmom
    (female)

tandjsmom HB User

Thanks for the advice! I will try to be paitent- its not one of my better qualities. I'll give it a few more weeks-

Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
    Running
    (female)

Running HB User

I am 5'4 and weighed 140. I took my calories down to 1200 and have lost 3-4 lbs a week thus far. I am very careful what I eat and will return to a 1750 calorie intake once I am 125. My breakfast is : 1 boiled egg, 3 slices of canadian bacon, 1 laughing cow cheese and green tea with fake sugar. I cook for my family and have a diet frozen meal for myself. I have downloaded tons of recipes from the internet for low carb diets to change my family eating habits as well.
    I drink TONS of water during the day. Green tea and very low sodium helps me not to retain water. I was told by a dietician that 1200 healthy balanced calories is fine for 3 weeks. After that, your muscle mass would suffer. So with that I will try for 3-5, but may not need to.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your knee! I sprained my ankle badly and gained the 15 lbs I am now trying to lose...

Old 03-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Running,

You are playing with fire because when you return to 1750, your metabolism might react like you are overeating.

The general rule that people learn the hard way is that the faster you lose weight the faster you will gain it back.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
    Leesaw73
    (female)

Leesaw73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
    Running,

You are playing with fire because when you return to 1750, your metabolism might react like you are overeating.

The general rule that people learn the hard way is that the faster you lose weight the faster you will gain it back.
    This is very very true! The rule if of thumb for weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week and NO MORE. If you lose anymore that that then you are losing lean muscle mass which will in turn slow your metabalism down and make you even more heavier than when you started. 1200 calories are WAY too low. Yes you will lose weight quickly but as soon as you start eating normal again you will gain it all back at lightning speed. You should NEVER EVER go lower than your Basal Metabolic weight in calories. EX. I am 33 years old, 5'9 and weigh 150 lbs and my BMR is 1470.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-09-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites or copy from them!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenteal HB User

It' true that eating 1200 calories a day for long periods of time wil send your body into starvation mode. However, you are suppose to go off your diet every 3-4 days so that your body will not go into starvation mode.
    I eat 1000 calories a day for 4 days then I eat what I want for the first 16-18 hours starting that night or the next day. When you do this it sends your body into shock from not being use to the calorie intake and actually burns more for those 16-18 hours. Per my doctor.

If you eat any longer than that then you body starts to store that food as fat.

I am 5'8 38 years old and weight 165. I put on 5 more pounds but have lost inches. I use to be in a 8 but really needed to be in a 10 I just refused to buy them any bigger. I am now in a very snug size 6 in 2 months. The scale is worthless. The change in your clothes is what's most important. Even when I was in a size 4 I weighed 140

Taking in lots of protein helps you burn fat. If you choose to go with the protein powder look at the lables. Some of them have HIGH cholesterol and high fat. I get the egg protein or the soy protein. They were out of the egg so I had to buy the soy which has 130 cal 1.5 fat 3 carbs and 25 grams of protein. Depending what you mix it with, skim milk, juice ect the numbers will change.

I usually start the day with my vitamins and go to the gym 4-5 days a week. I have bad knees too my cartalige is going away but I take MSM for it ride the bike and do light weights on the leg extenstion machine. I just started to be able to run 2 days ago after months of strength training building to build up my knees. On the treadmill with an incline I was able to walk 10 min ran 2 min walked another 10 ran 2 min then I walked 5 ran 2 and walked another 9 for 40 min which gave me 2.52 miles.

I'll make a salad or have a healthy choice or lean cusinie for lunch. Another protein drink or yogurt. I'll eat fat free cheese and veg crackers for a snack or have fruit till dinner. For dinner I'll make a homemade salad with either boiled turkey or chicken. Moderate portion of blue cheese, tomatoes, crutons, cottage cheese and balsamic vinegar with a dash of lemon pepper, or ones of those dinners with 6 ounces of merlot. Merlot is suppose to help for cancer and I have pre cancer cells.

Today is Saturday so I am thinking of making a run for the border to Taco Bell. I cant decide between that and Chevy's. Then I want 2 slices of those almond creme cakes from the Whole Food Market. Tonight I think I want oriental.

The first place you gain your weight is the last place you loose your weight.

Jenteal

Last edited by Jenteal; 03-10-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Closed Thread