It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• how many calories are too few?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
    champion
    (male)

champion HB User
    how many calories are too few?

I'm 5'10.5'' 225lbs. That sounds worse than it is because I am a naturally large (wide shoulder, muscular) guy. But there is no doubt that I need to lose some weight. Last week I started a low cal diet. I've done atkins in the past and had some success, but I haven't had the willpower to keep it off. I've cut my calories to around 1200 (this seems to be consistent with what I hear and read). I have been pretty faithful (6 of 9 days) to workout everyday as well. I have focused on cardio because I want to lose weight not remain steady by too much lifting. I only lost a pound last week. I feel a bit trimmer, but was surprised to see only a pound lost. I've heard people talk about eating too little causing the body to store fat because it percieves the lack of calories as starving. Any advice for me? Is there a minimum number of calories I should consume?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
    lam41565
    (female)

lam41565 HB User
    Re: how many calories are too few?

That is definetely too few calories for a male. That is the lowest calorie intake for a female. I would suggest 1800 calories for you.

Last edited by lam41565; 03-21-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
    Mucho_Ocho
    (female)

Mucho_Ocho HB User

What happens if you take in too few calories per day? Does your system shut down?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Champion,

For a guy at 5'10.5", 225# is way too high. Something under 190# is FAR better.
    Yes, 1200 calories/day is unequivocally far too low. You will trigger your metabolism to go super-eefficient and if you EVER go back to higher calories, you will pay the price of fast weight gain.

Try something in the 2000 calorie range or even 1800 for faster loss. That should give you between one and two pounds a week...one is better.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-22-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
    MariaBB
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MariaBB HB User

"You will trigger your metabolism to go super-efficient and if you EVER go back to higher calories, you will pay the price of fast weight gain."

Is this something that can happen quickly, or does it take time? I usually eat light, but last weekend I gourged at a party. My weight shot up and is slowly going back to normal. I've been eating fewer calories than usual this week, and going to the gym. However, almost a week has passed and I still weigh more than I did last week at this time.

Last edited by MariaBB; 03-22-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
    Mucho_Ocho
    (female)

Mucho_Ocho HB User

Grr. I'm a 5'7" female who has been averaging an intake of 600-700 calories per day this week, plus going to the gym - and I'm actually gaining weight! What gives?

Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Maria,

All I can say is that it takes a lot LESS time to lower your caloric needs by eating too little than it takes to reset your metabolism after it's "broken." I think just a couple weeks of dieting below 1200 calories for a woman is enough to cause significant lowering of caloric needs that can persist for months.

That "super-efficient metabolism" is one of the blessings of evolution...it allows makind to survive in face of horrible famine. Alas, it turns around to bite us when we are trying to lose weight. Being fat USED to bedevil only kings, dukes, and BISHOPS who had all the food they wanted brought to them. Dieting didn't exist because the curse of mankind was the ever-present threat of starvation.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-23-2007 at 06:33 AM.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
    MariaBB
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MariaBB HB User

I understand how our metabolism slows down when we don't eat enough. However, if you eat a restricted amount of calories while at the same time doing 30-45 minutes of cardio a day wouldn't you still lose weight? It seems like a calorie burned is a calorie burned, regardless of your metabolism. Just curious.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
    viccles
    Veteran
    (female)

viccles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mucho_Ocho View Post
    Grr. I'm a 5'7" female who has been averaging an intake of 600-700 calories per day this week, plus going to the gym - and I'm actually gaining weight! What gives?
    A day??? your body is essentially living on 200-300 calories a day no wonder your putting on weight. Its storing everything that goes into your mouth. Try eating 1500 calories and I bet you will start losing weight

Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenteal HB User

Clarify when you say you are gaining weight. Does that mean your clothes are getting tighter or the scale is still staying at the same number or getting higher. If it is the sacle throw it out. Never weigh yourself. Muslce weighs more than fat and the scale will go up but your clothes will start to fit differently.
    At the beginning of my diet I was 160lbs in a tight fitting size 10 I am 5 feet 7 1/2 inches tall. I now an in a loose fitting size 8 jeans but weigh 162. The first place on your body that you gain weight is the last place on your body that the weight will go away. So my jeans are very loos in the legs and rear end but fit snug in the waist.

If it just that you are not loosing weight at all take it from me a girl that lived in the gym for 5 hours a day eating 5 fat grams and 500 calories a day plus working 10 hours a day stocking shelves that it will take a long time to loose your weight. Eating to few calories shocks your body and it stores everything you put in your mouth. It's a survival mode.

Allow yourself one day during the week to eat anything you want. If you deplete your body of what it craves all sorts of problems and arise. IE headaches, dry skin, hair loss. loss of muslce. etc

Jenteal

Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #11
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
    Being on a low-calorie diet can and will take different forms for different people, but the one thing common to all successfull low-calorie diets is ''commitment'' personalize your low calorie diet while maintaining a full commitment to your a new life style.

To calculate your body's basic calorie needs, simply choose the weight you want to be (a healthy weight) then multiply it by 10
    if your female 5 feet,5 inches and you want to weigh 140 then 140x10=1,400 calories, not what your current weight is now.
    now theres other factors involved with conting calories, exercise or your level of actitivity.
    if you know your daily current calorie intake?
    if that number is 2000 daily calories then all you need to do is cut that number by 500 (1500) to start loseing weight a at a safe and effective way.
    remember 3500 calories =a pound.

''Carbohydrates ''are the bulk of your calories, be sure and know the difference between ''simple carbs and complex carbs.
    simple carbs are ...candies,cookies, chips,cakes,pies, many other favorite foods that supply plenty of calories from sugar and refiined flours but not much in a way of good nurtition... better known as empty calorie foods.

Complex carbs...are whole grains, beans,veggies, ect,,ect,, these foods are better for you because they supply all the good nurtrition.
    Fruits are the exception to the rule,fruits contain simple carbs but they also contain valuable nurtints, including many of the disease-fighting antioxidant vitamins and phytochemicals.

Protein, learn about ''amino acids'' which are the chemical building blocks found in protein, some of the important roles amino acids plays in your body are= Antiboidies,Harmones, repair or mendeing muscles, bones,and your skin,
    a lot of folks don't know this but when you wash your hair,clip your fingernails, your loseing body cells that need to be replaced so that new skin cells,hair,nails can grow.

AS we age it gets harder to maintain your weight even counting claories,after you hit your forties especially!

If your counting your calories to lose weight or just maintain your weight its a good thing to concider eating healthy food groups, but with that said its always a good thing to eat healthy....period.
    And REMEMBER
    Always consult in your Doctor before starting any type diet.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    It seems like a calorie burned is a calorie burned, regardless of your metabolism.
    Maria,

Yes, a calorie of energy IS a calorie of energy. BUT one's body can make do with far less of them. It has more to do with basal metabolism that with exercise.
    For example, the greatest amount of energy the body of a mammal uses is to keep warm...and then comes brain and heart function. By simply closing off the skin's arterioles, heat (and CALORIES) are conserved. By slowing the heart and fogging the brain, MORE calories can be conserved. Sleeping a little longer also saves a bundle.

A starving body can conserve much of the calories that a well-fed person would normally "waste."

Also a starving person will NOT get on that treadmill so often, if at all...it just seems like too much work.

Chevy,
    Quote:
    AS we age it gets harder to maintain your weight even counting claories,after you hit your forties especially!
    We won't even TALK about what hapens by our SIXTIES!
    Anyhoo, I have been counting calories for many a year and I have found that each decade removes approximately 200 calories from my MAINTENANCE calories...the amount I neither gain or lose at.
    This means that every YEAR I must eat 20 calories less than the year before.
    Horrible but true.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-27-2007 at 06:49 AM.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #13
    MariaBB
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MariaBB HB User

Wow - you guys really know your stuff. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I've been eating 800-1000 calories a day for a couple of months now and haven't lost anything in a few weeks. I guess this is too little calories? I'm 50 5'6" and 170, I'd like to be about 150 lbs. How many calories a day should I be eating to lose?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    ...so what you need to do is lower that number (1800) by 500 down to 1300/1400 daily calories daily to lose weight.

if you been taking in only 800/1000 daily calories...
    Thanks, so do I immediately up my calories to 1300/1400 or do I gradually get up there? That will be mentally hard for me to do after getting down to 800/1000.... but I need to lose this weight and it's not coming off like it used to when I was half my age.

I also walk 2 to 3 miles a day at approx. 15 minutes a mile.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 03-27-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Closed Thread