It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Still counting calories but gaining back lost weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
    Shmolissa
    (female)

Shmolissa HB User
    Still counting calories but gaining back lost weight?

I started counting calories a few months ago and lost 16 lbs. I recently started working out to tone up my muscles in order to accentuate the weight loss. I have not increased my calorie intake at all but I am starting to gain back the weight I've lost. Why is this happening and how do I stop gaining back the weight. I only eat 1350 calories a day right now, with working out. I think it would be too difficult to eat any less and not be physically uncomfortable from hunger.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
    jess1866
    (female)

jess1866 HB User
    Re: Still counting calories but gaining back lost weight?

If you began working out to tone your muscles I'm guessing you're doing strength training.

When you begin strength training your body builds muscle quickly, because muscle is denser than fat- your weight does increase. For example, you might have heard the saying "muscle weighs more than fat." The saying itself is incorrect because 3 pounds of muscle "weighs" just as much as 3 pounds of fat. The difference is that 3 pounds of muscle looks like A LOT less than what 3 pounds of fat does.

Have you noticed your clothes fitting you any differently? I'm guessing you probably haven't and that's because while you might be gaining weight from the muscle building you are NOT gaining inches- in fact you are toning up and maybe even losing them.

I suggest you judge your progress either by how your clothes fit you or with a tape measure. Don't weigh yourself too much since it can get discouraging, but in the end everything will even itself out!

Keep eating the amount of calories you're currently eating but try to eat more protein (30% of total calorie count) to aid you in building that muscle.Good Luck and congratulations on adding weight training to your routine, that's the way to sculpt a beautiful and healthy body!

Last edited by jess1866; 05-24-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
    your in a ''plateau'' it will pass just give it time.

you may need increase your calories(200) because of your phyiscal activity, the fat is being stored and building up fluids, thats why its very important to keep on what your doing.(don't give up)
    by increaseing your calories then the fat will go back to burning and your weight loss will resume.

usally its normal when you lower your calories and you do lose weight 15/20 lbs then fall into that old ''plateau''
    happen to me 3 times with in 14 months....the first time I never lost anything for 5 weeks , it does get frustrateing so I know how you must feel.
    it will pass.

just keep on doing what you been doing , maybe increase the calories a little bit, but don't lower them.
    try to eat lean protein, start your day off with a good nutritional breakfast.

Counting calories I've Lost 110 lbs sinse Jan 2006.currently at Goal......Just hang in there it will pass.
    The best to you.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
    I only eat 1350 calories a day right now, with working out.
    If that is an honest count, it is impossible to gain weight other than very short term. Keep up the good work and your weight loss will quickly resume.
    These plateaus and anomalies happen to all dieters...best to just work through and ignore them as much as possible, although they ARE infuriating.
    Make SURE your calorie counting is precise!

Probably just fluctuations of water retention.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
    jess1866
    (female)

jess1866 HB User

Uggh, I know how you feel. I've avoided weighing myself until this morning when I felt like I MUST have lost some more weight. Turns out I gained a pound!

Truth, I did start to weight train but it is sooooo frustrating and depressing to see your weight not change so much on the scale. I'm making it a point to not weigh myself more than 1x a week now. Next Friday morning I'll see how it's going.

I only consume about 1200 calories a day, and I workout. I'm starting to wonder if that is too low. I'll try 1300 and see where that takes me.

Closed Thread